into the dustbin, where it belongs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: into the dustbin, where it belongs

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:45 am

^^^^^^^^^ This

I experience close to zero interest in Star Wars (and also Star Trek).

I have never watched a Star Wars movie and only saw Star Trek IV because the film took place in San Francisco and north coast California.

I have never watched an episode of Star Trek and have never possessed nor related in any way to associated commercial detritus.

No particular reason except never had any inclination nor interest.
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby identity » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:00 am

^
Add me as well to the list of those who have never seen (nor ever wish to see) a Star Wars movie.
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby norton ash » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Saw the first Star Wars when I was 15. By the time the second came out, I was pretty much a grownup, so it ended there. I'm with Stewart Lee... "No I haven't read the latest Harry Potter. Why? Because I'm 40 fucking years old!"
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby DrEvil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Pah! I love Star Wars and Harry Potter. Just imagine how many kids discovered the joy of reading through Harry Potter.

What belongs in the dustbin is pride at not liking something considered low-brow.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby identity » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm

Harry Potter

"No I haven't read the latest Harry Potter. Why? Because I'm 20 fucking years old!"

ftfy
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

identity

Postby dada » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:03 am

DrEvil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:45 pm wrote:What belongs in the dustbin is pride at not liking something considered low-brow.

That's like when people make 'not liking' something a hobby. They're still in the sphere of its influence then. Better if it isn't a source of pride. Then you just don't care.

I like plenty of low-brow stuff. Bad horror movies. Benny Hill.

Actually, I can't think of anything else right now. But it doesn't matter. High or low brow, whatever. I just don't like much of anything.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:12 pm

get a grip

off your meds
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:20 pm

DrEvil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm wrote:Pah! I love Star Wars and Harry Potter. Just imagine how many kids discovered the joy of reading through Harry Potter.

What belongs in the dustbin is pride at not liking something considered low-brow.

You maybe mis-attribute "pride" for genuine and inexplicable lack of interest. I like science fiction and was a great fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs (and Ray Bradbury as a child) that advanced my eagerness to read.

For example, I just finished reading U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton within the past hour after starting with A is for Alibi and working through Grafton's popular books over the last two years or so. They remind me of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew read as a child. Too bad Raymond Chandler was not more prolific as so many imitate his style (even Pynchon most recently).
PufPuf93

Postby identity » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:25 pm

DrEvil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm wrote:
Pah! I love Star Wars and Harry Potter. Just imagine how many kids discovered the joy of reading through Harry Potter.

I would guess that many kids discovered the joy (if that is the appropriate term) of television through Sesame Street; and while adult-you certainly has every right to enjoy and find value of some sort in Sesame Street, I see no problem with others here asserting that they have never watched (and have no desire to watch) Sesame Street, especially in the context of a conversation where some have previously stated they are surprised that some people have never seen Sesame Street.

Re: people who take pride in "never having watched Sesame Street": if such people do in fact exist, one might gently suggest to them that they take up an art or craft through which they can experience a genuine sense of accomplishment!

identity

Postby DrEvil » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:35 pm

PufPuf93 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:20 am wrote:
DrEvil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm wrote:Pah! I love Star Wars and Harry Potter. Just imagine how many kids discovered the joy of reading through Harry Potter.

You maybe mis-attribute "pride" for genuine and inexplicable lack of interest. I like science fiction and was a great fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs (and Ray Bradbury as a child) that advanced my eagerness to read.

For example, I just finished reading U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton within the past hour after starting with A is for Alibi and working through Grafton's popular books over the last two years or so. They remind me of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew read as a child. Too bad Raymond Chandler was not more prolific as so many imitate his style (even Pynchon most recently).

Fair enough. Bad choice of words on my part.
What got me fuming was the Stewart Lee quote posted by Norton Ash ("No I haven't read the latest Harry Potter. Why? Because I'm 40 fucking years old!") which I find ridiculous. You're never too old to enjoy something, even children's books.
I read all the Moomin books by Tove Jansson as an adult and enjoyed them immensely for example (read them, they're awesome), and I also enjoy being entertained simply for the sake of being entertained.

Bonus content from one my favorite children's books, Morgentåkedalen (Valley of the Morning Fog) about a quest to find a giant mushroom:
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm

spot on
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Elihu » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:23 pm

the phrase, the moniker ; flat earth

the earth is only half the issue
Elihu

Postby stefano » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:44 am

Punctuating. Like. This.
stefano

Postby Nordic » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Oh snap.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:30 am

Bah, you people who don't want to ever see Star Wars or even Star Trek. I am somewhat young or at least once was, but some of my fondest memories come out of watching both when I was much younger than 41. 42 in a couple of weeks though! I have watched at least the first three hundreds of times apiece.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News