The Bitter Left

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Bitter Left

Postby tKl » Sat May 17, 2008 1:26 am

The bitter left only criticizes, tears down, deprecates, dismisses. It really is hate dressed up in compassion, or "the workers' plight" or something.

That is why the bitter left, in power, resembles the gloating right.

*sigh*

Time for a new age reality check: are your ideas filled with plainly negative emotions? Do something about your own emotions! Hold onto your principles but leave the childish feelings at momma's doorstep.

We can do this; geez, have some patience. Do something else besides tear down... build up, maybe?... ... ...
"He needs less and more blankets!"

-Walk Hard
tKl

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby compared2what? » Sat May 17, 2008 4:08 am

There is no political left in the United States at the moment and there really hasn't been in your lifetime, if I remember your age correctly. If there were, there might or might not be fewer bitter and destructive people. But I couldn't say which with any confidence. True leftists of days gone by were not bitter and they were often both constructive and popular, albeit transiently, since they almost always ended up dead or in prison if they were.

We should, like, go to Commie Spring Break or something next year. It makes me sad that bilious name-calling by professional spewers of bile has led you to reject an ideology I know you would love to pieces if you had ever had the opportunity to experience it in all its mad rocking glory.
compared2what?

Postby Penguin » Sat May 17, 2008 4:14 am

One fat American once asked of our democratically elected social democrat government: "Oh, werent you the Soviet country?"

Its communism if you give people free healthcare, free education all the way up to university, free libraries for everyone, and social security that guarantees you dont die of hunger. Sure thats communism.

Too bad mafia capitalism will put an end to silliness like this. Its called "realism".
Penguin

Postby sunny » Sat May 17, 2008 9:08 am

The power elite have earned our bitterness.

The incredibly horrible state of the world should provoke bitterness, at the very least.

Doesn't mean we live our lives in bitterness-I can't speak for others, but bitterness is the last word I would use for how I conduct my personal life.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby tKl » Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Penguin wrote:Its communism if you give people free healthcare, free education all the way up to university, free libraries for everyone, and social security that guarantees you dont die of hunger.

Sounds good to me. The post could've been titled The Bitter Part of the Left - I didn't mean it to be construed as The Left Which is Bitter.

About the realism bit - there is a great tradition of leftist critique but there comes a point where critical theory becomes an exercise in bashing everything. It becomes so prevalent that unless you are seen bashing something then you must not be left enough!

I would actually like to get out of left-right dichotomies but the language seems to serve its purpose.

Hmmm, I wonder if this post will go anywhere or if I was just being bitter...

Maybe there is something to a failed left? Is it a case of raw selfish power dominating better impulses? Consciousness not raised enough? Or is the lack of understanding in the people truly a product of propaganda?
"He needs less and more blankets!"

-Walk Hard
tKl

Return to The Lounge & Member News