Angola, it's not like they said.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Angola, it's not like they said.

Postby orz » Thu May 29, 2008 11:29 am

This is doing the rounds at the moment, not sure where I found it... Anyway it's really interesting account of an audacious journey thru Angola on motorbikes:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251
orz

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jeff » Thu May 29, 2008 11:49 am

wow! :shock:
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby barracuda » Thu May 29, 2008 12:45 pm

The Angolans in this essay are some of the most amazing beautiful individual human beings I have ever seen photographed anywhere in any format whatsoever. Absolutely breathtaking.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu May 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Jesus. I am amazed and delighted that such places and such people still exist. Imagine living like that.

(Do they look as if they need to be "developed"? Do they live on "less than one dollar a day"?)
MacCruiskeen

Postby orz » Thu May 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Indeed!
orz

quick! enslave them!

Postby annie aronburg » Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Oh Africa!
Is it any wonder Europe has been trying to kill you for centuries?

I was struck by caption accompanying the photo of the man with handguns stencilled on his jeans.

Here's something that intrigues me. Speaking for myself, I would have thought that after decades of war one would sort of have had enough. Yet, everywhere we saw camouflage and military apparel being used as fashion items. I think about that often still.

Annie
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby 8bitagent » Sat May 31, 2008 2:34 am

Geezus those are some amazingly beautiful women...hell they look like a beautiful people period.

Ive seen so many soul crushingly disturbing documentaries on modern day globalization, genocide, civil war, famine, disease, child soldiers etc in Africa.

That it's so wonderful to see such an amazing rich culture untouched.

If there's justice or a God, I hope that this tribe can be allowed to remain to thrive.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Re: quick! enslave them!

Postby Searcher08 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 am

annie aronburg wrote:Oh Africa!
Is it any wonder Europe has been trying to kill you for centuries?

I was struck by caption accompanying the photo of the man with handguns stencilled on his jeans.

Here's something that intrigues me. Speaking for myself, I would have thought that after decades of war one would sort of have had enough. Yet, everywhere we saw camouflage and military apparel being used as fashion items. I think about that often still.

Annie

The other side of Angola is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cuito_Cuanavale

called by some an the "Stalingrad of Apartheid" and famous throughout Southern Africa.

My brother, a jounalist, went there years later; he said there were areas of the town where so many bullets and shells had been fired that one walked on a *carpet* of casings.
Searcher08

Postby erosoplier » Sat May 31, 2008 9:16 am

I didn't know Cuba was so involved in all that. I didn't know that any of that was going on at the time.

I liked what he said about there being some emotions that haven't yet been given names, after he'd spent the evening with Jose getting a glimpse of what the war looked like from the other side.
erosoplier

Postby compared2what? » Sat May 31, 2008 1:57 pm

erosoplier wrote:I didn't know Cuba was so involved in all that. I didn't know that any of that was going on at the time.

I liked what he said about there being some emotions that haven't yet been given names, after he'd spent the evening with Jose getting a glimpse of what the war looked like from the other side.

It wasn't easy to keep track of who was involved, it went on so long. But it was the epitome of a conflict that shows how euphemistically named "the cold war" really was, outside of the US, former USSR, and most of Europe. South Africa regularly got up to all kinds of shit in a major way. I assume that it still does, at least to a degree.

Two of my favorite songs mention the MPLA, and I am going to go add them to the "what I'm listening to thread" rrrrrrright now, to tip my hand regarding the only one of them I'm likely to be able to find anywhere online.
compared2what?

Return to The Lounge & Member News