Fleet Foxes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Fleet Foxes

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:01 am

"Overwhelming, messianic"; "an epiphany"; "what a rare, shattering experience"; "I wept." - From a concert review in today's Berliner Zeitung by a very good, very smart music journalist called Jens Balzer, who doesn't normally rave like this. Somebody else who was there just told me much the same thing (said she cried too). And I missed it!

The band's from Seattle. They're still playing very small clubs (the Berlin venue holds only about 150, if that) but won't be for much longer, by the sound of it.

Anyone else know them?

http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes

They're all beautiful songs, especially 'Mykonos' (especially when the harmonies kick in on the 2:12 mark), but Balzer said that nothing on the album, their first, had prepared him for how powerful they are live.

The average age of the band members is twenty.

“We grew up listening to the music of our parents,” Robin notes, “The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, The Zombies, Joni Mitchell, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Love, Marvin Gaye, Bach, Crosby Stills & Nash, Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, and every other perennial ‘60s band you’d expect to find in the record collections of baby boomers.” (One of us is named after a Steely Dan record, for Christ’s sake…)"

"To me, the most enjoyable thing in the world is to sing harmony with people, so we do that a bunch. We love acoustic guitars, electric guitars, big rolling tom drums, mandolins, dulcimers, bass guitars, bass pedals, organs, pianos, kotos, and most of all harmony and melody. We’ve succeeded for ourselves if we’ve made a song where every instrument is doing something interesting and melodic. We try to draw from the traditions of folk music, pop, choral music and gospel, baroque psychedelic, sacred harp singing, West Coast music, traditional music from Ireland to Japan, and film scores, and are inspired by the music of our friends and contemporaries in the Seattle music family.”

“All we strove for with this record was to make something that was an honest reflection of who we are, citizens of the western United States who love all kinds of music and above all else love singing…"

http://www.subpop.com/bio/fleet_foxes

'Your Protector' (Tom-tom drums, bell-toned guitar, Hammond organ and flute...)
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:38 pm

Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes

***** (Bella Union)

Dave Simpson
Friday May 30, 2008
The Guardian

Fleet Foxes describe their music as "baroque pop, music from fantasy movies, Motown, block harmonies ... not much of a rock band", which is one way of describing the indefinable brilliance of one of those records that sounds like it has arrived, fully formed, from another planet. Though there are musical touchstones - English folk, late 60s west-coast music (particularly the Beach Boys and Love) - this is the sound of late-night forests, skipping animals, music made by people as old as the hills they dwell in. Implausibly, they are actually in their 20s and live in Seattle. The dizzyingly uplifting four-part harmonies of songs such as Tiger Mountain Peasant Song are interspersed with profound darkness in the death-stalked Your Protector, or Oliver James, the chilling tale of a child's drowning. It all adds up to a landmark in American music, an instant classic.

film&music@guardian.co.uk

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic ... 50,00.html

Tiger Mountain Peasant Song

In the town one morning I went
Staggering through premonitions of my death.
I don't see anybody that dear to me.

Dear shadow alive and well,
How can the body die?
You tell me everything,
Anything true.

Jessie,
I don't know what I have done.
I'm turning myself
To a demon.

Don't want to hype these guys up too much, but there are some of their songs I've just been unable to stop listening to for the last couple of days, esp. 'Your Protector' and the one above. I don't know how it can be so intensely pretty and still pack such a punch.
MacCruiskeen

Postby streeb » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:43 pm

It's great stuff, Mac, thanks. I scoured the city for a vinyl copy of the album yesterday. No luck - yet.
streeb

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:28 pm

Streeb, I know Sub Pop are releasing a vinyl edition sometime soon, if it's not out already.

Wish I'd caught that concert! (Tour dates on the side bar at the sites I linked to.) When I think of live performers who are exponentially better even than their recordings, Spacemen 3 and Ween are just two of the bands that come to mind.

And I have a feeling these guys are gonna do great things. They are still amazingly young. That choral singing and the unvirtuosic perfection of their playing is like a political argument in itself, or like an end to political argument.
MacCruiskeen

Postby streeb » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:44 pm

That choral singing and the unvirtuosic perfection of their playing is like a political argument in itself, or like an end to political argument.

Beautifully put, and thanks for the info. As an unwavering snob, I'll hang on for the big black plastic version.
streeb

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:05 pm

MacCruiskeen

Postby FourthBase » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:49 am

Wow, they're really good. :!:
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Return to The Lounge & Member News