interesting dinner party guests. 5 alive 5 dead

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby compared2what? » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:51 pm

Okay. How RI is this?

Not only has the dream I had last night about the Dinner Party of the Living Rig-Inters already been extracted from my subconscious and made available for viewing in lightly disguised form on YouTube today, but somehow the Illuminati have managed to make it look like it's actually been there for a year. Anyway. Not that it wasn't totally fun and everything. But I think next time we should maybe use a different party planner. I mean, that guy didn't even serve us dinner.
compared2what?

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby barracuda » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:13 pm

So, were there any strippers? Uh, in your dream, I mean.

I am beginning to view this game in the light of Freudian psychology's psychic apparatus: the living are the ego, the dead are the id, and the anonymous conscience of the username is the super-ego, or in this rare instance, the supper-ego. This structure of interpretation is highly useful in the case of jingofever and peguin, but somewhat puzzling in your case, compare2what?

Anyway, care for a canape? Or is this a chart of the seating arrangements?

You make the call.

Ok, now I'm assigning RI username personas to all the character introductions in that clip you supplied, and they are meshing quite nicely with remarkable results. But I've had difficulty with the self-placement. First, I was the erudite gentleman sounding the gong, and, as you might imagine, I became quickly and happily attached to that part. It so seemed to have been written as if for me alone. At the moment, though, I am the virtuoso bongo player behind the title card, faceless, but adding - in my own special hep manner - certain integral percussive punctuations to the proceedings. I'm very fond of the name of the presenting organization. I feel I may have used to be a founding member, until I was branded and disbarred. Slow Sunday night, yes.

Uuups, now I'm the chauffer again, giving that perfunctory nod and smile; sotto voce, "just gettina fucking car."
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby compared2what? » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:50 am

Just dancing, that I know of.***

But who knows what movement a-go-go was going on in every single chamber of the hive mind's subconscious? That's a lot of rooms.

ON EDIT: You know. Regular old dancing. It's odd, but the more videos I watch. the more I remember the details.

ON EDIT AGAIN: I'm answering the question about strippers, in case that's not clear. Which it probably wasn't.
compared2what?

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:03 am

Another male-centric list for you. Cheers for all of the excellent lists so far.

Living:
Thomas Pynchon
Haruki Murakami
Howard Bloom
Jacques Vallee
Grant Morrison

Dead:
Hunter S. Thompson
Giordano Bruno
James Joyce
Adam Weishaupt
Henry Miller
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby compared2what? » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:02 am

Deleted owing to being, on consideration, not worth all that much.

:)
compared2what?

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:03 pm

The dead? That's easy:
My Grandma
Dennes Boon
John Kennedy O'Toole
Theresa Duncan
Frank Zappa

Including myself that's an even boy/girl split for formal seating. Frank and my Grandma will want the seats closest to the patio doors so they can smoke between courses.

We would start with mache, chevre, roast beet and hazelnut salad with a marionberry vinaigrette and arancine made of assorted risottos, followed by pea shoots, asparagus and fiddle heads sauteed with mataike, shitake and lion's mane mushrooms served with wild pacific salmon wrapped in smoked atlantic salmon, grilled and topped with lavender sauce.Tiramisu for dessert with pear brandy on the side. I guess everybody else would probably want coffee and if I was really lucky we'd get Frank and Grandma to try one of my"special" chocolate chip cookies.

As far as the living go I had the initial response as Barracuda (we even had the same top 3!) since I've met enough "famous" people that I've admired to know better than to want to hang out with them as some illusions are best left in place. I'd much prefer an afternoon barbeque with all y'alls in three-dee.

If Richard Branson was paying I'd gladly take Michael Jackson, Charles Manson, Roseanne Barr, Daniel Handler and Eartha Kitt out for Pirate Packs at White Spot and I think we'd have a pretty jolly time.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby orz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 pm

interesting dinner party guests. 5 alive 5 dead

That does indeed sound like a pretty interesting dinner party, if not a particularly pleasant one.
orz

Postby Code Unknown » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Fun (and revealing) game for sure.

Living:

- Larry David
- Adam Curtis
- Michael Haneke
- Arvo Pärt
- Eva Green

Dead:

- Jesus of Nazareth
- Lao Tzu
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Carl Jung
- Charlie Chaplin

They can all bring dates except Eva Green, who will be mine and will be passionately attracted to me, etc. Translators will be in attendance for Michael, Arvo, Lao, Carl and Jesus.
Code Unknown

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Living Famous People (Women):

Kate Winslet
Grace Jones
Naomi Campbell
Naomi Watts
Germaine Greer (because otherwise this list looks bad)

Living Famous People (Men):

Philippe Petit
Muhammed Ali (miraculously restored to health)
Alan Garner
Stephen Merchant
Brian Eno

Dead Famous Women:

Emily Bronte
Marilyn Monroe
Grace O'Malley, the Pirate Queen
Rosa Luxemburg, or possibly Nefertiti
Louise Brooks [this is why Jeff is not invited]

Dead Famous Men:

Wilhelm Reich
William Blake
Jesus Christ
Terence McKenna
Oscar Wilde

All of them except Louise can bring anyone they want (living or dead), and everyone* at RI is expected to attend. Space is no problem, because the party's at barracuda's.

*That includes Jeff, as long as he keeps a safe distance from Louise.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby DrVolin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Just me, Carl Bernstein, and a few pints.
DrVolin

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News