What are you dreaming right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re:

Postby Penguin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm

§ê¢rꆧ wrote:§
...these weird meta-dreams, where I'm dreaming about dreaming, and I dreamt that the dreams were what was really real, and the waking state a sort of odd side effect of the dream process.

Isn't that how it is.

In recent years dreams have more often been ordinary. Like, during the day I might remember a piece of dream, and they feel like ordinary reality, dreams of ordinary small things that could actually have happened, and at times I find myself wondering if what Im recalling was a dream or real, for a moment.

Dreams of riding bikes are my favorites, along with flying dreams. Swooping along on wild forest singletrack and jumping off small bumps in the trail in a dream...mmm. Wasn't too long ago I had one of these, it felt so real, even down to the feeling in the bottom of your tummy when you fall fast downhill. In the end there was a big jump that I was too afraid to ride, then I woke up and was quite chagrined to realize I chickened out - in a dream.
Penguin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What are you dreaming right now?

Postby Nordic » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 pm

I used to be a runner. Then I had to give it up because of my messed up lower back. I would dream of running, and would wake up very sad.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:34 am

I have had a couple of dreams recently where I was apparently in physical matter Earth reality , timeline - the present. The evidence was that the dream was filled with people and places I know. However, I quickly realised that this was a world where all my day to day background assumptions were "inverted". So in the dream when I wanted to go to the airport, I found the Piccadilly Line didn't go to Heathrow. Every person I knew, then started acting as though they were a behavioural 'mirror image' of the one I knew.
I realised later that I may have been visiting "Locale 3" as described in 'Journeys out of the Body' by Robert Monroe... it was disturbing but very interesting at the same time.
Searcher08

Postby barracuda » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 am

The room at the hotel is destroyed again. It's not all my fault, but I sure didn't help, and the clutter and clothing strewn everywhere, the papers and pens, partially eaten food and wrappers, cigarette packs, suitcases, boxes, bags and pins, shirts and belts and pieces of trousers curled on the floors, the wardrobe, the walls and bed, may undoubtably be attributed to me. I think. Or maybe this is simply the shoddiest hotel room in one of the dingy hotels that dot this district. The radio is playing, but so softly it seems to simply hum indistinctly. All I can be certain of is that I've been up too late. I haven't even been to bed yet as the inevitable result of an unsuccessful tryst or two, waylaid by contingencies and misunderstandings, and I'll never get enough sleep at this point to be thinking straight when I meet up with you downtown, a meeting I should have wound up at long ago. I shouuld be getting out the door, but the effects of the drug are making me scattered and unable to focus and a bathroom trip seems inevitable. Before the mirror, silver hairs about six inches long, a dozen or so on each cheek, protrude from the side of my face, and it surprises me that I hadn't noticed them ealier. Have I been walking about looking like this all evening or is this a new development? They seem to be made of the finest glass filament, exceedingly drawn out, but plucking on them feels like a pinch - my face in the glass puckers out with each tug. They are disturbingly well rooted, and clearly indigenous. I need a razor and I'm sure there's one around somewhere. So thin and fine they are, curving gracefully straight out into the air as I stare at them. Are they whiskers? Am I becoming a cat, or simply growing old? I hesitate, then my concern turns to a wary acceptance of this perplexing situation.

It's time to go anyway, and I need my phone, so I rummage through my suitcase only to find that this cannot be my suitcase - this isn't even my room, because this isn't a hotel and here come the proper inhabitants now and I'd better hide because... what the hell am I doing here? Oh yes, I'm looking for my phone, but the only one I can locate is made of black rubber like a dog's chew toy, a perfect imitation, which squishes unsatisfactorily in my grasp. Forget it, they're coming. I sneak out of the room to seek a taxi between the towering grey canyons of the decrepit building structures lining the narrow street. It is nearly morning.

How nice - a ride appears almost immediately. Had it been waiting for me? A yellow cab and one with two drivers as well, charming middle aged black women, each with their own personal steering wheel, laughing and chatting about their day, amused and unconcerned with my inability to remember the street name I need, or, really, where it is I need to be at all. More good fortune - they know just where that is, or at least the best way to get me there and so off we go down the hill, to the right and into the freeway maze, sweeping curves of glittering iridescent concrete improbably cantilevered up and and around and through each other like a ball of gently tangled hoops. Our path carooms past the strobing caissons and stanchions, over the underpass and under the arching overpass, describing a shuddering parabola as we lean into the turn, jet through the hub just long enough to admire the vast scale and height of the brightly lit dazzling white chamber of the terminal cylinder, and exit slowing from it out into the dense darkness weighing upon the crowded shopping district boulevards. The ladies chuckle lightly and smile at each other, then brake the cab, and I disembark without paying under the awnings overhanging the streetside booths which present to the eye a crazed jumble of wares and products dimly for sale in the dull light of dawn. I shufflle haltingly among the cases of goods, lost but interested in the merchandise, and in the course of admiring a bolt of golden brocade behind the back of a broken shelf I glance up and there you are, mumsing through the sidewalk sales, your lips just barely moving in a silent approving murmur at some trifle. I call your name and gesture roundly across the distance, nervously twisting the length of my curling newfound whiskers. Your eyelids appear to flutter slightly - you think you've heard something, but in this midst of the busy din of the street it could have been anything, and your eyes dart once and look down at the item you've been absently holding, dart again, and then curve up to meet my own with an apprehensive smile as the first beams of the new sun illuminate the mist through the holes in the torn canopy above.

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

with apologies to MacCruiskeen & Chlamor....

Postby IanEye » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:52 pm

I had a terrible dream last night:

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/blog/IanEye/blood_brothers_b-147.html

IanEye wrote:
$

all of the old faces
ask you why you're back

Boss Kane
they fit you with a position
and the keys to your Daddy's Cadillac

$

on through the houses of the dead

past those fallen in their tracks

always movin' ahead - never lookin' back

now I don't know how I feel
I don't know how I feel tonight

Boss Cain
if I've fallen 'neath the wheel - if I've lost or I've gained sight

$

my Father's house shines hard and bright
it stands like a beacon calling me in the night

calling and calling

so cold and alone

shining 'cross this dark highway

where our sins lie unatoned

$

$

I am sure the root cause lies in eating pizza with sliced jalapenos and artichoke on it while watching several episodes of "Boss" starring Kelsey Grammer, then going directly to bed.

But you can't be too careful….
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 pm

I have hardly dreamt at all for very many years.

Apart from daydreaming, that is.

But funnily enough I did have a dream last week.

I dreamt I was stepping or dancing on the heads of crocodiles, as if on stepping stones, to cross a river.

I wasn't worried, for I knew I was far too careful, and far too well balanced for them to present any danger.

Hammer of Los

Postby barracuda » Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Last night I had a dream in which I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "This is a really dumb dream."
barracuda

Postby Nordic » Fri May 11, 2012 6:19 pm

barracuda wrote:Last night I had a dream in which I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "This is a really dumb dream."

Funny, I had one of those this morning. It was so stupid that I woke myself up and got up, before the alarm went off. I didn't want to stay in that dream, or go back to it. Painful reality was preferable.
Nordic

Postby dada » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 am

Had a dream a few nights ago that I was riding a bike in Brooklyn. It was a ten speed, but the gears and the back brake weren't working. I kept trying to change gears, but I didn't bother stopping to see what was wrong. It didn't seem to matter, I was going pretty fast. A funeral procession of cars crossed in front of me, and without slowing down I managed to slip through a narrow space between the back of the hearse and a car behind it in the procession, close enough to see the casket in the back of the hearse. I kept going, and the dream moved on to other things. But since then I find myself wondering who was in the casket.

On the street where I grew up, there was a funeral parlor on the corner. The other kids and I would bike around and play on the street, never giving it much thought, it was just part of the scenery. If the parking lot was full, we would bike around instead of through it. That was our way of being respectful. Now I think about all those funerals, and the people in attendance walking in and out and seeing us kids playing, running around. I'm not going anywhere with this, just some bike-triggered dream and memory randomness.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Nordic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 am

I had a most vivid dream the other night where our whole family was driving in our car, to escape something, but it was my 9 year old son driving. He was doing a pretty good job. But then, up ahead, was a police checkpoint. There was no way to hide and switch drivers. My son had to just wing it, driving through, hoping they wouldn't stop him. And that's what happened. We drove breathlessly through the police, very slow, as they looked in at us, didn't seem to care that a 9 year old boy was driving the car, and we were on our way.
Nordic

Postby bks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am

What are you dreaming right now?

By definition I couldn't tell you.

To live in Ian's Eye for a day . . .
bks

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 am

At long last, Joey Heatherton.

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:28 pm

I stop at a sidewalk cafe, a copy of Deep Green Resistance under my arm. By coincidence, my waitress is its co-author, Lierre Keith. I self-consciously order a meat pie, as she is also the author of The Vegetarian Myth. When she returns later to check on me, I muster the courage to ask if she's who I think she is, and show her my copy of the book. She's pleased, and asks me what I think. I tell her that it's challenged me to either found or join an underground cell to bring down civilization, but I'm socially awkward, and have difficulty meeting people. She agrees that can be a problem, and delightedly begins to share advice. But I'm not listening to her, as I'm conscious of the cafe filling, and other patrons expecting service. I tell her that I don't want to get her into trouble, and maybe she should take some other orders. She leaves. I think I offended her.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby barracuda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Jeff wrote:At long last, Joey Heatherton.

There's really no possible way I can avoid thanking and congratulating you for that.
barracuda

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 pm

barracuda wrote:
Jeff wrote:At long last, Joey Heatherton.

There's really no possible way I can avoid thanking and congratulating you for that.

I'm not one to dream and tell, but it was worth waiting 30 years.

Of course, I paid for it the next night with a sequence of self-abasing nightmares.
Jeff
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News