Accidental log-out phenomenon

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Accidental log-out phenomenon

Postby monster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:07 am

Does this happen to anyone else? I've probably done it a dozen times now.

The page loads and I go to click "view new posts" and at that very moment, the PayPal button loads and kicks the page down the perfect amount so that I hit "logout" instead... then when I log back in and check new posts, there aren't any. It resets when I log out.

I wouldn't bring it up without a constructive suggestion: maybe put the size of the paypal image in the HTML code, so that the page won't have to adjust when it loads.

If not, cool - it's no big deal - I feel bad for bringing it up because obviously that button is there for a good reason.
"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
monster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm

Crap, I haven't heard of that one before. Sorry for the inconvenience, monster, and thanks for posting it.

What browser are you using? (Sorry if I sound like an under-trained tech help line flunky. :oops: )
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby monster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm using Firefox, with large font size... I probably just have the perfect storm of settings on my computer.

If it doesn't happen to anyone else, then it's no big deal... I thought maybe it was a common thing.

No worries.
"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
monster

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm using Firefox as well, regular sized font.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby OP ED » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:24 pm

i have no idea what you're talking about.

of course, i just load my bookmark for the gen discussion page.
OP ED

Postby monster » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:30 am

OP ED wrote:i have no idea what you're talking about.

of course, i just load my bookmark for the gen discussion page.

It's hard to visualize if you haven't experienced it. I don't have the General forum bookmarked, I have the forum index bookmarked. And I click the "view new posts" link from there. But since the loading of the paypal button is a bit delayed, and it shifts the contents of the page downward when it loads, I end up clicking the wrong link and logging out.

It doesn't happen every time, but in this screen capture notice the way the page contents shift downward when the button loads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yr5vA2VUaM
monster

Postby barracuda » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:56 am

And please don't ignore the intentional log phenomenon. It's better than bad - it's GOOD.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Return to The Lounge & Member News