Bob Dylan coming out with a new album in April

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bob Dylan coming out with a new album in April

Postby RocketMan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:52 pm

link

State gone broke, the county's dry/Don't be lookin' at me with that evil eye
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby RocketMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:35 pm

The album artwork's out (I'm just watching No Direction Home and I noticed the photo flashed by in a montage, anybody know where it's from?) and there's a nifty little interview with Dylan at

http://www.bobdylan.com
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 pm

What U.S. Horror Is Bob Dylan Predicting Now?

Wonkette, March 21

Bob Dylan’s got a new record coming out next month, and you should be terrified. Yes, the dude continues to make great music, but his past two studio albums were also Harbingers of Doom. Love and Theft was about America in flames, and then under water, and it was recorded in 2001 and released on September 11 of that rotten year. His next record, Modern Times, was released in the autumn of 2006 — it was named after a Depression-era Charlie Chaplin movie, as the stock market hit new heights and the housing bubble was just beginning to pop, and it was filled with grim songs of working people losing ground.

So what’s this one about? Alex Ross from the New Yorker has heard an advance copy of Together Through Life, and he says this:

The version I heard ended with the double whammy of “I Feel a Change Coming On” and “It’s All Good” — a pair that may cause listeners to detect a political undertow in this seemingly intimate, out-of-time affair. The chorus of the gorgeously lilting, almost Motown-like “I Feel a Change” could be heard as Obamaesque, although with a certain ambiguous regretfulness Dylan adds, “And the fourth part of the day is already gone.” (That’s apparently a reference to the Book of Nehemiah.) A Dylan album can’t end on such a half-hopeful note, of course. On the grimly boogeying “It’s All Good,” the singer dons a mask of lethal irony, surveying a ransacked social landscape and then adding, after each exhibition of desperation and decay, “It’s all good.” That smug little phrase has now been destroyed. Dylan’s protestations in the latest interview notwithstanding, some people may indeed come away thinking that the human race is doomed, although at least we go out with a crooked smile.

Oh shit.

UPDATE: Commenter ComradePaulson asks below, “When has Bob Dylan NOT been a harbinger of doom?” Let’s ask what’s-his-name, Wiki Joe Slim:

On September 22, Dylan appeared for the first time at Carnegie Hall, part of an all-star hootenanny. This show was his first public performance of “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall”[1], a complex and powerful song built upon the question and answer refrain pattern of the traditional British ballad “Lord Randall”, published by Francis Child.

One month later, on October 22, U.S. President John F. Kennedy appeared on national television to announce the discovery of Soviet missiles on the island of Cuba, initiating the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Whoops.

http://wonkette.com/407136/what-us-horr ... icting-now
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:39 pm

"The door is closed for evermore / If indeed there ever was a door."

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/03/ ... _list.html
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Can't beat the old stuff tho..

music ruined my life
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Tucy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:50 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/bi ... egend.html

Bob Dylan, unknown subject.

He has sold albums by the million and was the idol of the 1960s protest movement. But yesterday Bob Dylan discovered what it's like to be just a face in the crowd.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.
~Mitch Hedberg
Tucy

Postby Penguin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 pm

"Oh, Mr. Famous Person, I am so sorry we treated you like we treat normal people!"
Penguin

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:09 pm

And a new one in October:

Sleigh, Lady, Sleigh: A Bob Dylan Christmas Album

Compiled by DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: August 26, 2009

Like the man (almost) sang: Everybody must get snow. Bob Dylan plans to release a collection of familiar yuletide tunes, to be called “Christmas in the Heart,” with proceeds of the album to benefit hunger-relief charities, he announced on his Web site, bobdylan.com. Among the traditional songs that Mr. Dylan will perform on the album, which Columbia Records is to release on Oct. 13, are “Here Comes Santa Claus,” “Winter Wonderland,” “Little Drummer Boy” and “Must Be Santa.” A statement on the Web site said that all of Mr. Dylan’s royalties in the United States from the album would be donated to the charity Feeding America, and that he planned to donate his international royalties to organizations in Britain and elsewhere that provide meals during the holiday season. “Christmas in the Heart” is the 47th album by Mr. Dylan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/arts/ ... R_BRF.html

Dylan Xmas Album 'Last Straw' For Folk Festival Protestors

NEWPORT, R.I. (CAP) - Some of the same concertgoers who booed Bob Dylan's first "electric" performance at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965 say the announcement that he'll release a Christmas album this year is just "rubbing salt in the wound."

"He's really starting to get my goat now," said Fred Markinson, 68, of Pawtucket, R.I., who was one of the many crowd members who protested Dylan's electric set at the folk festival back in '65. "I'm done with him, and this time I probably mean it."

However, despite his belief that Dylan had "turned Judas" by forgoing traditional folk for rock 'n' roll 44 years ago, Markinson admitted he did continue to buy his albums and see his concerts, right up through his country phase, his "born-again" period and the era when "his voice started to sound like he'd swallowed a bar of Lava soap."

"But the Christmas thing is definitely the last straw," he said, then yelling "Judas!" to no one in particular.

http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=G0200908005
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Bob Dylan to become the voice of your satnav?

For anyone lost on their way to Maggie’s Farm, this might be just the thing.

By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor
Published: 8:15PM BST 24 Aug 2009

Bob Dylan, the singer-songwriter who has taken his fans down Highway 61 by way of Lonely Avenue and Desolation Row, is in negotiations to voice a satellite navigation system.

The music star claimed that he has been approached by more than one manufacturer keen to harness his unmistakeable, rasping tones - a voice which one critic memorably likened to sandpaper. He shared the news with listeners to his late-night radio show, Theme Time Radio Hour, which is broadcast on BBC Six Music.

“You know I don’t usually like to tell people what I’m doing, but I’m talking to a couple of car companies about the possibility of being the voice of their GPS system,” he disclosed.

Motorists who follow Dylan’s directions, however, may take some time to reach their destination. “I think it would be good if you are looking for directions and you heard my voice saying something like, ‘Left at the next street.... No, right... You know what? Just go straight." He added: "I probably shouldn’t do it because whichever way I go, I always end up at one place - Lonely Avenue.”

Dylan, 66, would not be the first celebrity to lend his voice to a GPS system. TomTom, the sat-nav manufacturer, currently offers the voices of Homer Simpson and John Cleese, while Kim Cattrall, the Sex and the City actress, and The A Team actor Mr T are also popular among British motorists. Several websites offer impersonations of celebrity voices for download, with Sean Connery, Ozzy Osbourne and David Hasselhoff among the favourites for drivers who consider the computerised sat-nav tones to be on the boring side.

Eddie Izzard, the comedian, offers his own set of directions, which include phrases such as: “For God’s sake, turn left!” and “Bear left, monkey right.” This would not be Dylan’s first foray into the commercial world. Earlier this year, he surprised many of his fans by allowing his music to be used in a television advert. Blowin’ In The Wind, his 1963 anthem, was featured in a commercial for the Co-operative Group. The singer, who has sold more than 70 million albums during his career, recently topped the UK chart with his latest album, Together Thru Life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... atnav.html
"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Re: Bob Dylan coming out with a new album in April

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 am

No rest for the wicked... A new album announced for September... September 11th. :fawked:

The title?

TEMPEST.

I'm digging the hell out of that cover art.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby norton ash » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:48 am

^^^ Bernini's St. Teresa, innit? Touched by an angel.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

RocketMan wrote:No rest for the wicked... A new album announced for September... September 11th. :fawked:

Thanks for the good news, RocketMan.

Love and Theft was released Sept 11, 2001.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby RocketMan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20120717

Bob Dylan has revealed more information about his upcoming album Tempest, including cover art and the track listing. It's his 35th studio album.

The album contains 10 songs, including a John Lennon tribute entitled "Roll on John," which quotes lines from multiple Beatles songs, including "Come together right now" from "Come Together" and "I heard the news today, oh boy" from "A Day in the Life." The title track is a 14-minute epic about the sinking of the Titanic, which actually refers to a scene from James Cameron's 1997 film Titanic at one point. The chorus of another standout track, "Pay in Blood," includes the line, "I'll pay in blood, but not my own."

Tempest arrives in stores on September 11th, 11 years to the day after the release of Dylan's 2001, LP Love and Theft.

Here is the full track listing for Tempest:

"Duquesne Whistle"
"Soon After Midnight"
"Narrow Way"
"Long and Wasted Years"
"Pay in Blood"
"Scarlet Town"
"Early Roman Kings"
"Tin Angel"
"Tempest"
"Roll on John
"
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:09 pm

RocketMan wrote:The title track is a 14-minute epic about the sinking of the Titanic

Exciting to hear there's going to be such an ambitious track. That's approaching Highlands length.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby RocketMan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20120801

Bob Dylan describes Tempest, his 35th studio album (out September 11th), as a record where "anything goes and you just gotta believe it will make sense." But it isn't the record he set out to make. "I wanted to make something more religious," he says. "I just didn't have enough [religious songs]. Intentionally, specifically religious songs is what I wanted to do. That takes a lot more concentration to pull that off 10 times with the same thread – than it does with a record like I ended up with."

The "anything goes" album he ended up with is full of big stories, big endings and transfixing effect. The disc was recorded in Jackson Browne's studio in L.A. with Dylan's touring band – bassist Tony Garnier, drummer George G. Receli, steel guitarist Donnie Herron, and guitarists Charlie Sexton and Stu Kimball – as well as David Hidalgo on guitar, violin and accordion. "Tin Angel" is a devastating tale of a man in search of his lost love; the doleful "Soon After Midnight" seems to be about love (but maybe it's revenge); the vengeful "Pay in Blood" has Dylan darkly repeating, "I pay in blood, but not my own." Tenderness finally seals Tempest, in "Roll On, John," Dylan's heartfelt tribute to his friend John Lennon.

The title track is a nearly 14-minute depiction of the Titanic disaster. Numerous folk and gospel songs gave accounts of the event, including the Carter Family's "The Titanic," which Dylan drew from. "I was just fooling with that one night," he says. "I liked that melody – I liked it a lot. 'Maybe I'm gonna appropriate this melody.' But where would I go with it?" Elements of Dylan's vision of the Titanic are familiar – historical figures, the inescapable finality. But it's not all grounded in fact: The ship's decks are places of madness ("Brother rose up against brother. They fought and slaughtered each other"), and even Leonardo DiCaprio appears. ("Yeah, Leo," says Dylan. "I don't think the song would be the same without him. Or the movie.") "People are going to say, 'Well, it's not very truthful,' " says Dylan. "But a songwriter doesn't care about what's truthful. What he cares about is what should've happened, what could've happened. That's its own kind of truth. It's like people who read Shakespeare plays, but they never see a Shakespeare play. I think they just use his name."

Dylan's mention of Shakespeare raises a question. The playwright's final work was called The Tempest, and some have already asked: Is Dylan's Tempest intended as a last work by the now 71-year-old artist? Dylan is dismissive of the suggestion. "Shakespeare's last play was called The Tempest. It wasn't called just plain Tempest. The name of my record is just plain Tempest. It's two different titles."

And here's a sample of the track Early Roman Kings:

Link
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News