How series can you take threads with misspellings in title?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How series can you take threads with misspellings in tit

Postby norton ash » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 am

I'm just recalling 82-28 ragging us pommies for spelling 'circumcise' that way, as opposed to his preferred American 'circumcize' ... a word which does not exist in the USA or anywhere, except in online postings.
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby blanc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Yet, as well as delight in malapropism and the like, how elitist should the site be? If someone can't spell, but has some insight or experience or opinion to offer, are they to be made to feel out of place?
blanc

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

blanc wrote:Yet, as well as delight in malapropism and the like, how elitist should the site be? If someone can't spell, but has some insight or experience or opinion to offer, are they to be made to feel out of place?

Oh no, not at all. Lots of greatness without proper spelling.

Just the title. I'm big on titles.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 pm

JackRiddler wrote:
blanc wrote:Yet, as well as delight in malapropism and the like, how elitist should the site be? If someone can't spell, but has some insight or experience or opinion to offer, are they to be made to feel out of place?

Oh no, not at all. Lots of greatness without proper spelling.

Quite right. Lots of greatness, even without words at all. Symbols, photos, and/or embedded vids can be far more profound than anything mere words [spelled/utilized correctly or not] may offer.
Belligerent Savant

Postby marycarnival » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I am a bit of a spelling/grammar snob at times, but I love to misspell words on purpose. One will never get a 'happy birthday' from me...it's always 'happy birfday'. It's just a silly thing I do. And I almost always use the single quotes, even when double quotes are 'correct'. That would just be your run-of-the-mill laziness.

But yeah, my boss is one of those people who never know which 'to' to use. Like he'll request a print redone because it's 'to dark'. Or he'll spell 'roll' (as in roll of film) 'role'. I mean, come on, this is not rocket science.
marycarnival

Postby justdrew » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 pm

my favorite annoyance... the dreaded Saxon genitive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27s

note the extensive potential for neo-homophonic humor present in this paragraph...
In English language teaching, the term "Saxon genitive" is used to associate the possessive use of the apostrophe with the historical origin in Anglo Saxon (also known as Old English) of the morpheme that it represents. This morpheme was an inflexional suffix marking genitive case. It has been suggested that the morpheme in Modern English has become a clitic similar to the forms such as 'm (as in I'm) or n't (as in don't).[1] This has been strongly resisted in a major reference grammar.

The final -s spelling of the personal possessive pronouns his, hers, ours, yours, theirs is not felt to represent a possessive morpheme. For this reason the words are spelled without apostrophes. However, the impersonal one is felt to combine with a possessive morpheme, so that the spelling one's is used. The possessive determiner corresponding to it is an object of widespread confusion. Standard practice is to use the spelling its, and to reserve the spelling it's for the contraction of it is or it has.

Some respected style guides such as The Chicago Manual of Style recommend the more modern addition of an s when forming the singular regular possessive of a noun ending in "s" but specifically state that adding simply an apostrophe (eg. Jesus') is also correct.[5]

The Elements of Style and the Canadian Press Stylebook hold that the s is mandatory with only two exceptions: classical and Biblical proper names (e.g. "Jesus' teachings", "Augustus' guards") and common phrases that do not take the s (e.g. "for goodness' sake"). In all other cases, it is incorrect to omit the s.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:19 am

I know this rule. It's the one my wife tries to pick me up on. Grammar has its own special charm;

Standard practice is to use the spelling its, and to reserve the spelling it's for the contraction of it is or it has.
Hammer of Los

Postby Stephen Morgan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 am

Hammer of Los wrote:I know this rule. It's the one my wife tries to pick me up on. Grammar has its own special charm;

Standard practice is to use the spelling its, and to reserve the spelling it's for the contraction of it is or it has.

Precriptivist grammar nazis, forcing their little foibles on good sensible folk who just want to communicate.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:23 am

stephenmorgan wrote:Precriptivist grammar nazis, forcing their little foibles on good sensible folk who just want to communicate.

I think you left an "s" out of "prescriptivist."
Hammer of Los

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:25 am

Hammer of Los wrote:
stephenmorgan wrote:Precriptivist grammar nazis, forcing their little foibles on good sensible folk who just want to communicate.

Possibly, or keep an open mind that I may have been purposely opposing the stultifying dictatorship of spelling which saw its advent in the English language with the arrival of printing.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:
Hammer of Los wrote:

Possibly, or keep an open mind that I may have been purposely opposing the stultifying dictatorship of spelling which saw its advent in the English language with the arrival of printing.

my daughter had that view when she was about 7.
I would say, "That's not the way that is spelled." and she would say, "Well, that is the way *I* spell it."

I was forced to explain that there were rules for these things that's she'd do well to adhere to. It's never fun to do that. :(
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:40 pm

No, no it's precriptivist -- as in, before the cript, not before the scrypt.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 am

Canadian_watcher wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:
Hammer of Los wrote:

my daughter had that view when she was about 7.
I would say, "That's not the way that is spelled." and she would say, "Well, that is the way *I* spell it."

I was forced to explain that there were rules for these things that's she'd do well to adhere to. It's never fun to do that. :(

And you imposed upon this glorious and innocent instinctual childhood knowledge with your oppressive, government-issued dictatorial spelling regime. You hideous monster! I know your sort, you just want everyone homogenised into a big grey lump, everyone walking in lockstep, wearing uniform, speaking Norman French or government-derived Indonesian and refusing to end sentences in prepositions because of obsolete and obscure rules of latin. That's the only thing that'll make you happy. The assertion of monopolistic control over language and thereby through proxy over thought. Don't bother denying it, you have tipped your totalitarian hand. Go back to France, linguistic authoritarian!

:tongout
Stephen Morgan

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:
And you imposed upon this glorious and innocent instinctual childhood knowledge with your oppressive, government-issued dictatorial spelling regime. You hideous monster! I know your sort, you just want everyone homogenised into a big grey lump, everyone walking in lockstep, wearing uniform, speaking Norman French or government-derived Indonesian and refusing to end sentences in prepositions because of obsolete and obscure rules of latin. That's the only thing that'll make you happy. The assertion of monopolistic control over language and thereby through proxy over thought. Don't bother denying it, you have tipped your totalitarian hand. Go back to France, linguistic authoritarian!

it's all true.. and sadly not the worst of it!
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:

it's all true.. and sadly not the worst of it!

Stephen Morgan

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News