Reasons To Be Cheerful

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Reasons To Be Cheerful

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:06 am

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Allegro » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 am

I needed cheering up, Wombat -
and that isn't just noise yo :basicsmile.

Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby compared2what? » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 am

Whoever wrote the summary/caption material for the V&A's online searchable collection database just did not get paid enough.

"Elaborately decorated toothpicks were articles of fashion as well as personal hygiene in the sixteenth century, as they had been in the Ancient World.

The handle is formed of a naked female figure, adorned with flowing bands and garters, her head terminates in a suspension loop, indicating that the toothpick would have been worn on a chain around the neck. The figure on the handle represents Lucretia, wife of Collatinus. Her rape by Sextus Tarquinius led to the overthrow of the last of the Roman kings and the election of Collatinus and Lucius Junius Brutus as the first two consuls in 509 BC."

"This toothpick is in the form of an enamelled gold arm that holds a curved sickle for picking teeth. At the other end it has a death's-head finial (the decorative knob). Elaborately decorated toothpicks had a long tradition. In the Middle Ages they were often made from the claws of birds, especially the bittern, a long-legged water bird.

Subjects Depicted
    The toothpick shows an ingenious use of the popular contemporary imagery of death: the arm is surmounted by a skull and holds the sickle of Father Time. Once again the message is 'Remember you must die'. The straightforward interpretation is that just as someone in the 16th and early 17th centuries might wear a pendant jewel in the form of a coffin, or wear a ring enamelled with a death's head, so she or he might use a toothpick in the form of Father Time's sickle. The certainty of death should be remembered at all times.

But would people who enjoyed William Shakespeare (1564-1616) or the ingenious poetry of John Donne (1572-1631) perhaps also have had a wry smile about the clever idea of picking their teeth with Father Time's sickle? Might they even have enjoyed the paradox that picking their teeth with the Grim Reaper's sickle would actually slow down decay?"

I don't know, you silly goose. Probably not as much as you enjoyed carefully wiping the dust off of five centuries of bright ash and flame until you had just enough left to cover up a few of your favorite profound thoughts about time and mortality before slipping them into a superficially ridiculous question, disguised as a joke about dental hygiene.

But thanks for asking. You made my day.

And btw, thanks also for making it so easy to figure out where my friend Mr. "Search Engine Algorithm" Magoo here thought he saw birds. I can only hope that some day your delinquent cousin, the Metropolitan Museum of Art website, will look to you as a model.
compared2what?

Postby barracuda » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 pm

My daughter's homemade toys.

barracuda

Postby Project Willow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:34 pm

^^ She is sewing now, or did you help her?

They're so cute!
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Project Willow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:35 pm

To which I might add, you should do this well shooting your own artwork!

:wink:
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby barracuda » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:01 am

Haha. I helped her with the glove bunny, but she's stitching together doll clothes and little toys and stuff on her own. She's kind of a maker and a relentless customizer, a drawer and a sculptor and a scientist, a good witch and an unpredictable fairie, a delicate diva and a stern director, like most kids, I guess. L'enfant terrible, but in the best way possible. Usually.
barracuda

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:59 am

God bless ya fish man.

She sounds just like my daughter.

Yeah no 1 reason.

Children.

They are my savants and gurus.

I listen to them.

Closely.

They tell me a lot.

Loving kindess is our salvation.

The secret of Metta.

Hammer of Los

Postby Nordic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:48 pm

I got a gig that goes till christmas.

Whew!

$$$.

Hope it doesn't kick my ass too much. Got a herniated disc in my neck, yo.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 pm

She could totally go in the hot dissidents thread.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby justdrew » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 am

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby chump » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 am

chump

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:37 am

I like: a likable blog-with-photos I had forgotten about and am pleased to see is still up there.

I like is very much based on real life - travelling about the country trying to keep ourselves and two wee boys amused. We end up in lots of places that are cheap and warm like old cafes and museums, and these places have real atmosphere. The overall picture is a world that isn't going to hell in a handbasket but quietly surviving.

http://www.ilike.org.uk/2007/06/what_go ... n_tou.html

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News