Reasons To Be Cheerful

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Reasons To Be Cheerful

Postby Nordic » Sat May 28, 2011 2:24 pm

marnots and hummingbirds! where do you live, in the rocky mtns??

if so, i'm horribly jealous!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby ninakat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm cheerful because I have enough time to wax nostalgic with searches on Youtube...

ninakat

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ninakat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

... and because Nina had the balls to cover this Ian Dury song:

ninakat

Postby Gnomad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Gnomad wrote:I quit my job.
That, and its a pretty spring evening with promised +20 for tomorrow...

Hahaha.
I ended up back at the same job after a few weeks.
Got a raise and better working conditions and less crap about everything.
Sometimes it does pay to draw the line, eh.

Now I could say the reason to be cheerful is - there is still some summer left, I got a job and money, it's been infernally hot and humid for weeks, nature is green and I got herbs in the balcony doing great, got good music playing loud, and my legs are all sore and hurting from riding bikes.

Sweet.
la nuit de tous approche
Gnomad

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 pm

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Allegro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:56 am

My Mother’s Coat

FULL CREDITS AT END

director, animator | Marie-Margaux Tsakiri-Scanatovits
        narrator | Paola Dionisotti
          sound design, mixing | Tom Lowe, Mike Wyeld

© Royal College of Art 2010
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby Nordic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:43 am

The vicodin just kicked in.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Project Willow » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 am

^^ I will join you in rejoicing over the existence of leftover pharmaceuticals.

I guess the dentist was right and not just trying to drum up more business, although I did get to keep my tooth for two more years.

How on earth did humans cope before modern dentistry, or anesthesia, or antibiotics, or more importantly, why?

:starz:
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am

This band, this album, this song, that fiddle:

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby psynapz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 am

Call me a bad person for this, but... Ted Gunderson is dead.

:partyhat

(Edited for cheer)
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Blog post draft of 11,000 words. Maybe needs 1,000 more, or 1,000 less.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Project Willow wrote:^^ I will join you in rejoicing over the existence of leftover pharmaceuticals.

I guess the dentist was right and not just trying to drum up more business, although I did get to keep my tooth for two more years.

How on earth did humans cope before modern dentistry, or anesthesia, or antibiotics, or more importantly, why?

:starz:

Dude, I am totally right now looking into the great abundance of dentist ads in the early 20th century. Quacks, what we would think a quack today, with today's knowledge, were everywhere. Every 2nd page has a number of dentistry ads on them and I am trying to marry this to a theory about how today's unaffordable dental insurance is directly related to *something* about the original quackery and yet essential nature of bad dental care before our time and how profitable it must have been to begin fixing teeth.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Project Willow » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:45 pm

^ Post a link if you make a compilation. I'd like to see those.

I once had a dentist look in my mouth and exclaim, "It's a wonder we won the war!" I said, "Which one?"
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Project Willow wrote:^ Post a link if you make a compilation. I'd like to see those.

I once had a dentist look in my mouth and exclaim, "It's a wonder we won the war!" I said, "Which one?"

^^ :mrgreen: ^^

My current dentist is a very precise, tiny (<5ft) middle aged Indian lady. She is very 'bird like' in her movements and gestures. She is the epitome of polite professional precision. She is also big into dental tech and 'gowns up' facemask on, gloves up to do extraction.

So the last time I was there, she comes in with this needle which was so big and scary and actually glistened in the sunlight that I blurted out in genuine terror
"JEE SUS!!! HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FIT THAT IN MY MOUTH?!"

which made her giggle like a schoolgirl, while I am staring fixedly at this thing the size of a spear that cavemen would throw at a T-Rex in the movies where they co-existed...

SO she then utters the immortal words

"this shouldnt hurt at all"

before jamming this thing... straight into the nerve. I then experienced passing out by sheer pain... in a couple of seconds.

I woke a few seconds later to the sight and sound of my tiny dentist straddling me (!) on the dentist chair in Level 4 biohazard gear, slapping me across the face with incredible enthusiam and yelling, not in her usual posh BBC accent, but in a totally stressed out Desi accent "Please Mr Searcher, be staying awake THWACK! do not be sleeping! THWACK! it is very dangerous! THWACK!!!!"

This surreal sight was just too much for my recovering consciousness and I then had a giggling fit and just couldnt stop. She sent me into the waiting room for half an hour and made me a cuppa :) before resuming (without incident!)... poor thing was mortified.

:angelwings:
Searcher08

Postby 82_28 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:08 am

Project Willow wrote:^ Post a link if you make a compilation. I'd like to see those.

I will, but they are in abundance. Anyone can look up the ads. But I guess I am trying to tie into a larger "conspiracy to control how we intake proteins" blah blah. There's a connection out there and I do not think I'm gonna find it in the archives, but may receive hints.

It's like the assassinations I've been finding. When I crosscheck with modern data, I get shit like "historians agree that this case is totally unsolvable". There's no way of knowing a great many issues and we're just stuck with our imaginations. Imagination seems to be in short supply, thus we need more of it and it is free. Many if not all of these assassinated figures of our past, small time assassinations, were because there was too much imagination on the part of the assassinated and fear of being upended by how brilliant and likable they were to those who do not live life to assassinate. But the news, the public coverage of this shit is abysmal and then it just went on. The paper the next day was published. And the next day and so on.

This is a "reasons to be cheerful" thread. So I'll stop.

But, it is next to impossible to nail some shit down in history and the dental thing is essentially up there with circus people who would pop into town on the railroads to scam the fuck out of town after town on their ride (and then go on to become icons of American arcana). I'm telling ya, given the smallish populations of the day and the great preponderance of dentist ads. . . Dudes would just show up with a bear at Woodland Park "Zoo" (it wasn't a zoo back then) back then that they caught in Alaska. They had to turn away dudes who were bringing them bears at one point. Oh you know where I'm with this. Things and mentalities were far different than today.

Anyhow. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News