Reasons To Be Cheerful

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Postby compared2what? » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 pm

It's not like I expect tremendous things from him. But I'm happy for Senator Al Franken.

Plus, on a personal level, I totally respect whatever part of his decision had nothing to do with ambition, or politics, or anything other than a pure, unalloyed rage at seeing his friend Paul Wellstone's place taken by a slimy little opportunist like Norm Coleman.

That's the kind of friendship I believe in. So let's hear it for the boy. Let's give the boy a hand, even.
compared2what?

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby IanEye » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I thought it was pretty cool when Al took on General Mills:

[url=http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78ofranken.phtml]Al Franken: Thank you, thank you! Thank you very much! Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tom is backstage, uh.. getting dressed. Before we start the show tonight, there's something that I'd like to get off my chest, it's been really bugging me.
As you know, "The Franken & Davis Show" has rocketed me to stardom.. and, of course, I'm thrilled about it. But, unfortunately, a few unscrupulous people have.. tried to.. capitalize on the success of "The Franken & Davis Show", and.. well, something ugly has happened.
A few days ago, I was in the supermarket, I was in the dry cereal section, and I saw this! [ holds up a box of the cereal Frankenberry" ] "Franken Berry"! Okay?
Franken Berry cereal. This is my name! They're using my name - Franken - and this is my face! I mean, look at this! [ turns the box around to reveal a full-sized potrait of the pinkish Frankenberry monster - Al mimics the facial expression ] Huh? Okay? This is.. this is my mouth.. my nose - can you see that? They've got my glasses.
And this is the worst part, look at this.. [ covers everything below the head ] Can you see that? They're using my rear end! Can you see that? They're using my charisma to push a breakfast cereal, and I just. I just had to get that.. get that off my chest, and we're suing the Big G! Let me just say that.

Image[/url]
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Reasons To Be Cheerful

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:52 pm

compared2what? wrote:That's the kind of friendship I believe in. So let's hear it for the boy. Let's give the boy a hand, even.

Small victories are big steps, you know it.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Code Unknown » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Fuck Al Franken.

"And the breadth of the coalition represented here today, and across the country over the past week, reflects the unshakable strength of our commitment to the security of our ally, Israel.

"That commitment is a pillar of our foreign policy, an ironclad guarantee based on shared beliefs and values that have been upheld for 60 years by presidents and congressional leaders of both parties.

"It is a commitment that transcends the day-to-day politics of Washington, but our elected officials must strive to defend it every day. And I pledge that, as a United States senator, I will."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGlqATcwnA
Code Unknown

Postby IanEye » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm

Code Unknown wrote:Fuck Al Franken.

I think you've stumbled into the wrong thread, that happens a lot in the Lounge.

The "Israel mixed with sexual innuendo" thread is here...
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Perelandra » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:14 am

Edit
Last edited by Perelandra on Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perelandra

Postby compared2what? » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:56 am

This is the fucking lounge. The thread was not supposed to be about Al Franken only. As I said, I don't expect much from him. He's a Senator, for fuck's sake. I expect him to be rich and compromised.

Nevertheless. On a personal level, I am glad that he beat Norm Coleman, having entered politics following the death of his friend, Paul Wellstone. I approve of that.

If you guys are cheerful about anything, please do feel free to share it with the class. Perhaps it will cheer others.
compared2what?

Postby Sweejak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:08 am

No fighting in the War Room!
Sweejak

Postby Penguin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:11 am

Come on, think big!

Im cheerful because I just remembered I need to get the laundry,
its sunny outside, again, its still summer, and I got nothing but free time.
And I just washed ma bike so its ready to roll again.

Also, its my friends birthday and hes got a party in the evening.

One more:
I think Ill take a morning nap :)
Penguin

Postby sunny » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:24 am

I'm cheerful because a light rain has been falling off and on since yesterday.

I have a new kitten and she's all lovey dovey. The grandbabies named her Sally Heart and she's grey with golden eyes.

My begonia's are thriving and that hardly ever happens with me.

I'm drinking coffee from an old-timey non-electric drip coffee maker I found at Goodwill and it reminds me of Paw Paw. Best coffee I've had in ages.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby beeline » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am

I am cheerful because:

In the Northeast, this has been the best summer in recent memory. It's already July and we've not had a single day of 90-degree heat combined with 90% humidity. The past two weeks have been nothing but sunshine and 80-degree days.

I have been biking 15 miles a day since I quit smoking. I've lost about 20 lbs.

I am going to get an iPhone at the end of August when the contract with my current carrier is up

I am gainfully employed at a time of 20% unemployment. So even though I may not get a raise in the forseeable future, I've got a job, and it even pays halfway decent.
beeline

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm cheerful for rhubarb. Radishes, too. And that Joe Jackson isn't my father.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:14 pm

My father's fine, but what would be wrong with Joe?

JackRiddler

Postby Code Unknown » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:22 pm

Kudos to every other reason listed here so far.

I'm cheerful because the sun is shining and my mango tree is blossoming.
Code Unknown

Postby Sweejak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm thrilled to have new lenses for my blown eyes, very happy to have been able to actually pay for them and now the skies are bluer and fluffier than ever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/svj/3676228299/sizes/l/
Sweejak

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News