I've quit smoking.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby OP ED » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 pm

barracuda wrote:I've spent this entire thread trying to figure out how I could use it to quit myself. Still haven't. Well done all.

i've turned this thread into a smoking game.
OP ED

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 pm

"Fags Are Magic!"

- singalong (coughalong) chorus of a song by the Poison Girls, ca. 1985.

(Note for colonial readers: fags = cigarettes; magic = superb/admirable/the dog's bollocks.)
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby lightningBugout » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm

xxx
"What's robbing a bank compared with founding a bank?" Bertolt Brecht
lightningBugout

Re: I've quit smoking.

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:56 am

Finally, for the absolute last time for good. Really. Yay me. :yay :wallhead: :yay
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby backtoiam » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:23 am

I feel ya. I'm down homey....
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:26 am

That's good to learn, §ê¢rꆧ! Here's to easier breathing. :tiphat:
Iamwhomiam

Postby Grizzly » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:09 am

Good one secrets.

I stopped nearly 5 years ago - 5 years on the first day of june.

Stopped smoking weed recenty. Got a vaporizer.

So much better than smoking.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:26 am

*waves* Hi Joe

Congrats! I'm making it with a lot of help from Big Pharma's Chantix/Champix magic tablets, mentioned upthread I think. Some people feel like that's cheating, or wrong, or whatever. For me it is the only way I have ever been able to do this. But this is the last time.
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:09 am

Whatever gets you thru it. if Champix works then use it. Ultimately tho you have to make a change in your brain.

I found the best thing was not thinking of myself as a smoker. I actually read that on this site somewhere. I also had a deadline and smoked joints (with no tobacco in them, some people mix pot and tobacco,) every time I hung out for a ciggie after that date.

I set the date and didn't think about it till after midnight the night before. I let myself have one before bed (so technically I had one that day) and expected to wake up and have a cigarette. I think deep down i was determined but kept my conscious mind free of thinking about it all.

I woke up and couldn't let myself have one for some reason. Even tho i was hanging out. Waited an hour or two then had a straight joint like I mentioned above. Being high killed any cravings and pot is heaps easier to stop using than tobacco. After 5 days i wasn't hanging for a ciggie anymore, i stopped smoking weed for a while after that.

It was easy cos we were expecting our first kid and my wife had already given up. I had some real motivation. She said she needed me to stop at least 3 months before the baby was due so i'd be able to stop again if I relapsed so thats why I picked a date to not smoke. I haven't had a cigarette since.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby 82_28 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:23 am

I've cut down quite a bit. I just don't think I can or want to completely quit. Good for those who have quit though. I just like the built in excuse to go outside and think, I think. :tongout
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Grizzly » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:34 pm

If you haven't yet watched the vid I posted above, do so, it helped give me fuel to burn angrier to stop smoking, these lying fucks , all swear that their products, the very products that kill us, but make their accounts fat, are in no way harmful or that they infer that it's an easy choice to do or NOT do. I just burn with hatred for these lying sacks of shit. Tell that to my grandparents whom,I watched grasp for breath while turning blue with not enough oxygen even though they had an oxygen tank took to their face.

AGGGGAHHH!!!

I am anti death penalty, but the day I watched my grandmother gasp her last few breaths, I would have been more than eager to HANG each and everyone of these motherfuckers until dead; which would still have been more humain than the way my grandparents went out!

Addendum
Forgive the grammar and spelling, I FIND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO POST/WRITE FROM MY PHONE...
Last edited by Grizzly on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby backtoiam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Here is another thing you can try. Nicotine patches.

Cut the nicotine patch with a pair of scissors. The full nicotine patch was way wayyyyy too much for me. It made me dizzy. I cut it in half with a pair of scissors. Every few days cut the patch even smaller, and smaller, and smaller, until you finally get down to no patch at all. A slow weaning away...
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 am

yuppers, yup, yup, and yup. I've tried patches, and they work in a pinch, but I thought of them more as a method of coping with acute abstinence periods, like staying with non-smokers, or a busy shift at work, or a long flight. My favorite nicotine replacement therapy is nasal spray--yes blasting liquid nicotine (mixed with a peppery kind of anti-abuse substance), making your eyes water and flooding your brain with dopamine, that's the only NRT that ever came close to a good long pull on a cig for me.

You're right Joe, I have to strengthen my identity as a non-smoker. And marijuana is a good temporary measure.

Already feeling (physically) better, if a little insane.
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby 82_28 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:18 am

backtoiam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:25 am wrote:Here is another thing you can try. Nicotine patches.

Cut the nicotine patch with a pair of scissors. The full nicotine patch was way wayyyyy too much for me. It made me dizzy. I cut it in half with a pair of scissors. Every few days cut the patch even smaller, and smaller, and smaller, until you finally get down to no patch at all. A slow weaning away...

That's why I don't do the e-cig thing. I bought one and puffed puffed on it all the way home (four blocks or so) and when I got there I felt like I was tripping. The "good" thing about real smokes is you know how much you have taken in. I never smoke a whole cigarette at once anymore. Like maybe a third and save it for later. More quick breaks that way! Plus they're fucking $11 here in Seattle.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News