The comedy thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The comedy thread

Postby Simulist » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Peter Sellers on the well-known childhood prank: "Setting Fire to the Policeman."

"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 pm

From the guy who made the enormously funny Phantom Menace reviews.

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:13 am

I really like Half in The Bag. It's in many ways my favourite review programme now. Zaat was really good.

I've developed an addiction over recent months to Highlander 2 reviews, though. It is such a bad film (which had provoked such high hopes, given the decent quality of the original) that I actually remember how incredibly shit it was after all these years. It was and is so bad. It's fans are so bad as well. Even bad reviews of it can't help but make memories of the film itself better:

"All he fucking did was come back and jump into a ceiling fan!" :lol:
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 pm

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:It is such a bad film (which had provoked such high hopes, given the decent quality of the original) that I actually remember how incredibly shit it was after all these years.

Indeed. For me, the only other film that approaches its high hopes/shit product metric is The Avengers. Not the Marvel super heroes, but the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman take on the classic TV show. That was of a similar Who could have thought this was a good idea? quality.

One of the best things about the Internet, IMO, is how it introduced me to Armando Iannucci.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby norton ash » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

One of the best things about the Internet, IMO, is how it introduced me to Armando Iannucci.

Ditto. I had high hopes for Veep, the Iannucci-produced-and-written HBO series with Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but it just ain't working for me so far. I don't think there's a common 'edge' to American and UK style that Ianucci can settle on (the insults and cursing on Veep sound forced and off-key, for example) and Louis-Dreyfus is only giving the VP a same-o Elaine-Christine characterization.

Pretty sure that Veep will be put out of its misery soon.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 am

"I knew dropping acid at a cattle ranch was a bad idea."

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 am

This could go in the clit thread as well...

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby semper occultus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:21 pm

..an apparently well-refreshed tory back-bencher adds greatly to the dignity of Parliament as she enjoys her 30 secs. of national fame at PMQ's...

semper occultus

Postby Alf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Alf

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Jeff wrote:
AhabsOtherLeg wrote:It is such a bad film (which had provoked such high hopes, given the decent quality of the original) that I actually remember how incredibly shit it was after all these years.

Indeed. For me, the only other film that approaches its high hopes/shit product metric is The Avengers. Not the Marvel super heroes, but the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman take on the classic TV show. That was of a similar Who could have thought this was a good idea? quality.

I was never an Avengers fan (original series) in fact I've never seen a full episode, but even I knew the Ralph Fiennes remake was pish. It should've worked though. Ralph Fiennes for that role - well, who else? But Uma Thurman for the other... mmmph. I've never really rated her very high, to a lot of folk's annoyance, and i still don't. And then the script...

Highlander 2 is a whole different beast though, a whole different order of wrong - it exists on a separate plane of terribleness. The Avengers remake was just an inevitable moneymakers mishap, like the new-ish tv series of The Prisoner. Highlander 2 was different. Highlander 2 was the harbinger of universal decline in all areas of human existence.

Like I said, I'm obsessed with it. I've seen the documentary on it's making - "Seduced By Argentina" - and what comes across most strongly is the colossal effort, expenditure, and spirit that went into making this piece of utter trash. They all poured every bit of their hearts and souls into making it - that's what's heartbreaking. Like Barton Fink, they wanted to give us something beautiful, something true... They spent a fortune building a whole district of that horrible city down in
Argentina, with moving trains and everything, as if they were making a film with the stature of Terry Gilliam's Brazil - and then they went and made Highlander 2.

This guy is a bit whiny, and his intro song is annoying, but I enjoy this review once it gets going: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/05/20/ ... ew-part-1/

"My name is Connor MacLeod of the clan MacLeod."

"Is that the Zeist MacLeods?"

Jeff wrote:One of the best things about the Internet, IMO, is how it introduced me to Armando Iannucci.

Armando is a great man. Sad to hear that Veep is tanking over there, from what Jack says. Armando works best on the small scale, pointing up absurdities in everyday life rather than huge systemic abuses (The Thick of It notwithstanding).

"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Simulist wrote:Peter Sellers on the well-known childhood prank: "Setting Fire to the Policeman."

Fantastic, and not all that far out from the truth either. One of the primary recreational activities for street kids in Edwardian London was sneaking up and surreptitiously nailing window-shopper's jackets to shop fronts while they were distracted by the merchandise. True story. "One good clout nail, one good tap, and you had them... it was tremendous fun!"

Maybe TV and the internet aren't so bad after all.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 pm

semper occultus wrote:..an apparently well-refreshed tory back-bencher adds greatly to the dignity of Parliament as she enjoys her 30 secs. of national fame at PMQ's...

I like the front bencher who facepalms as soon as her name is called, at exactly 0.05. He knows what coming! :lol:
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Jeff » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Saw this via Laodicean's link.

Thanks Laodicean.

What error was it the Laodiceans had fallen into?

God, I love Spinal Tap!

The ancient druids of... stone 'enge!

Druids?

Hmm.

Anyway, on with the humour!

Hammer of Los

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie