Welcome to... The Saloon

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Welcome to... The Saloon

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 am

For 5 years I went to my favorite pub, just blocks from my house. My favorite bartender worked there. I always knew if worse came to worse and no other friends could be found, I could go to The Saloon and there he would be and he would listen, commiserate and support. He even placed an MK-ULTRA sticker on the bar back for me (the ones you made up Jeff.) I'd been telling him a whole lot of stuff lately. At one point he said, "Don't tell me any more, I don't want any thugs coming in here after me." Shortly after that he got fired. He got fired after 9 years of building that business up for the stupid, greedy owners. So now my bartender isn't there, I don't go anymore. The others are ok, but I can't bring myself to spend money there after such a loss.

So here is The Saloon, in the Lounge at RI. Order yourself a nice local micro-brew. What are your favorite beers? If you tell the bartender your troubles, he should listen...

Anyone want to be bartender?

...Yeah, well, we can make this thread about beer!

I'll have a nice lemony Belgian, then I'll have a pint. Thanks.

:wave:

:cheers:
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby barracuda » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:10 am

Jeez, Willow, I can't start drinking this early in the week, but if you'll lay in some Kentucky bourbon, I'll be back in around Thursday to cry into it in lieu of a beer, and purchase rounds for the house, which I suspect will be remarkably inexpensive as such things go.

Edit: When I suggested you lay in some bourbon, I didn't mean... aw, nevermind.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:09 pm

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHr1smZ6iwo&feature=related]"I can't stand people. I hate them."
"Yeah?"
"You hate them?”
“No, but I seem to feel better when they’re not around.”[/url]
brainpanhandler

problems

Postby sw » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Here's a question for you bartender...

I have horrible asthma. Have had it for 20 years after leaving Houston so it must be dry, pollen areas. I worked in a sick federal building for over 20 years and now have the highest level of reactions to molds and fungus possible. I know I got the problem from the sick buildings because when I first moved up to Dallas and the asthma started, I was given all the prick tests and it came back to Mountain cedar and cats. Well after six years of allergy shots and millions of asthma meds, I got much worse. So was tested again and this time only had one star reaction to Mountain Cedar and Cats but this time molds and fungus all had four stars, the worst reaction.

The doctor asked me where I worked. I said a crappy sick building that had been ruled as fixed by the govt. No one wanted to work in that Federal bldg so they put the IRS and us in there. Now I have asthma all the time.

I am looking for cities to live before I die of asthma. Add to this I have lived in crummy old apartments for the last ten years that were built mostly in the 30's. They all have mold problems. Yesterday, being home sick having a hard time breathing, I bought two expensive HEPA air purifiers and a HEPA humidifier. I slept pretty well without nosebleeds and horrible breathing.

I looked up good cities to live and bad cities to live. I liked Utah but I think the cold would screw my asthma. You know Seattle ranked way up there. Can't believe there would not be mold everything with the rainfall.

I don't drink beer but like Dr. Pepper which my doctor said does not help my asthma because of the sugar making more mold. Life is kind of a circular hell sometimes. I'm sticking with the Dr. Pepper and kicking the air purifiers up a level.

I don't go to bars mainly because I don't like gross bathrooms. This is just perfect. My own bathroom and being in a bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
sw

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Hey, I couldn't help overhearing your conversation... you wanna know where to live if you got asthma? Well I'll tell ya, stay outta the cities. Pure poison. They should all be condemned and burned to the ground. Ya gotta move south, where it's warmer, but it's gotta be dry, so it's gotta be the southwest. Yer best bet's probably northern New Mexico or Arizona. Stay as far away from the big cities as you can and the higher the altitude the better. What you need is clean air, some good clean air. And I don't know what you mean by your own bathroom and everything, but you might want to stay out of smokey bars. Can I buy ya a Dr. Pepper?
brainpanhandler

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:37 pm

'Cuda I'll get the bartender to lay in your Bourbon, I've always been a better chaser anyway. :wink:

BPH, that's too funny.

SW, yeah, stay away from cities. I love living in one but the black soot from endless diesel trains and buses builds up on my window sills and floor. That stuff is carcinogenic, and I used to stand there in it and smoke too.

The Northwest is wet because it rains but it's also dry in that it's not usually humid when it's not raining.
Project Willow

Postby IanEye » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

ha

Postby sw » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 pm

BPH: You can buy me a Dr. Pepper anytime!

In my spare time, when I'm not at this bar, I like to look at cool houses on line. Everyday, the Wall Street Journal on line edition has a house of the day. They are all usually very interesting. It has made me improve my geography too because I like looking up the cities as if I had enough money to buy one.

My favorite one so far is one that came up last week. You'd have to go to the Wall Street Journal to see the best pictures. The regular real estate sites have the same photos but they are too small to do the place justice. The home I like this week is called "Three Barns." It is in Sun Valley Idaho. This family brought in three barns from Maine and maybe New Hampshire that were built about 200 years ago. They took them apart stick by stick,moved them to Sun Valley and made this place.

It's pretty neat to see but I had to wonder how they keep the place warm without having the heating bills more than the mortgage with those barn roofs being so high. The master bedroom has a 30 foot roof. Built in 2003.

Anyway, that is my favorite thing to do in my spare time. Check out the three barn home and tell me how the hell they keep that thing warm with those high barn roofs.

Cheers!

sw
Last edited by sw on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sw

pw

Postby sw » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:53 pm

PW: forgot to mention...Seattle was ranked one of the top three places to live in the country for people with Asthma. ??? Does not sound like a good spot though according to you. Gosh, hope I was not looking at the three worst cities in error!
sw

Re: pw

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:40 pm

sw wrote:PW: forgot to mention...Seattle was ranked one of the top three places to live in the country for people with Asthma. ??? Does not sound like a good spot though according to you. Gosh, hope I was not looking at the three worst cities in error!

SW, I think Seattle comes out within the 3 best places to live regardless of criteria. My building is downtown and straddles the main train line through the city. I love the trains, I look out my window onto a real life Lionel set, but they are naughty for their soot. It's the same with the buses.

However, even if you're in one of the neighborhoods, the pollution is not bad at all. Our weather keeps it at a tolerable level, the rain, the wind off Puget Sound, the marine layers. You could get a place in West Seattle or Magnolia, anywhere on the west edges and most of your air would be pretty clean coming in off the Sound.
Project Willow

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:07 pm

"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby Alaya » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 pm

That'll be 5 kamikazis for a warmup.

Line 'em up nice and neat in front of me here.

Thank you very much. :)

Mmm...maybe segue into some Don Julio later on.
Alaya

Postby barracuda » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 am

On second thought, I'll have what she's having...
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Penguin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:51 am

+
Penguin

Postby Project Willow » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:36 am

I'll have a Jolly. Ah, no Jolly in yet? OK then, well, I'll just come back another time.

Glad to see the billiard table.
Project Willow

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News