The short-story only thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The short-story only thread

Postby Jeff » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:11 pm

The Jelly-Fish, by David H Keller (originally published in Weird Tales, January 1929)

http://www.loa.org/images/pdf/Keller_Je ... AFT_V1.pdf
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Searcher08

Postby jingofever » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Wikihistory by Desmond Warzel. I guess it is too short for a short story so they call it flash fiction.
jingofever

Postby teamdaemon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Once upon a time there was a borderline-autistic guy who gradually became psychotic by abusing every conceivable type of drug at the same time. Then he had a child with a 17 year old cocaine addict and she put the kid up for adoption. A year or two later, once the rampant drug usage had subsided, he found himself to be relentlessly pursued by a horde of demons that possess him directly whenever he uses cannabis. To normal people this looks like him staring off into oblivion and clawing and biting the air in front of his face. Eventually he stopped smoking pot and got confirmed into the Catholic church.

I have a lot more where that came from, but you have to specify how short you want them.
teamdaemon

Postby Alaya » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Moan.

For those of you who may have read this story.......here is the revised version where everything is cutted and pasted correctly.

What can I say? I feel like a jerk. On rereading, after seeing Hugo's kind words.....so I ain't cooking on all fours right now.

Thank you, Hugo. I will pass it on.

THERE ARE SUCH PEOPLE

When Nance first laid eyes on my cousin Charlotte at the university in Laramie Albert Stillburn had been married to Clara Jean for some few years. Albert felt lucky in the match, for Clara Jean was bright and sassy, a real show stopper in sleepy Ardmore, Oklahoma, with her taffy hair in a pony tail, swinging in cadence with her hips. She loved to dance and raise hell and starting from about age fourteen her development had been arrested by several of the boys and men in Ardmore. Her mama breathed a sigh of relief after their marriage ceremony. “Here’s hoping,” she said, “that Clara Jean has backslid for the last time.”

Albert moved in kind of a slouch and would have been good to read meters or drive a truck, take a little moon on Saturday and mind a trot line for his fun but Clara Jean had something inside of her that was always saying more, a blossom of ambition or maybe longing that she couldn’t quite recognize or curtail. When she goaded him into a job with big oil she thought they were on their way.

My cousin Charlotte had grey eyes and she was pensive. She knew our tribe was a cut above everyone else in Wyoming and I think it made her a little sad. When it came time for her college she dreamed of going down south, maybe Alabama or Georgia. She liked the stories her mother told about Atlanta and Savannah, liked who she thought her mother might have been before the Wyoming cowboy gathered her up and plopped her down in the middle of the badlands, fifty five miles to Newcastle and seventy to Douglas and in those days you couldn’t even get to town if the Cheyenne River and Lance Creek were up. Not that there was much there when you did get out. If it hadn’t been for the airplane and that big old house she might have bailed out long ago. They’d fly into Casper or Rapid City and she’d shop or pick up stuff she’d ordered to redecorate that big old house. She’d been redecorating that house for twenty- seven years when Woodrow Stephens put his foot down and declared that no daughter of his was going to college anywhere but the University of Wyoming. She was a Wyoming gal, by God, and Wyoming was her destiny. She was uncertain about her destiny, and pensive, like I said, but she went.

My cousin Charlotte knew that as an only child of Woodrow Stephens she would end up running the Crown S and she’d made a good start of it, could cowboy up with the best of ‘em and she loved it all, it was like destiny was melded up with desire, for once.

Nance had seen her on campus of course, sized her up going straight as a soldier across the quad between classes. She was enrolled in animal husbandry and Nance was in engineering. Maybe she had spotted him too, but they didn’t speak until that night in the Cowboy Bar. The girls in the sorority had wanted to go, sort on a lark, sort of like slumming. My cousin Charlotte was no stranger to cowboy bars, having been hauled by old Woodrow to every joint in eastern Wyoming where cattlemen gathered to drink and scheme, trade cattle or buy horses, places like the Antlers in Newcastle or the LaBonte Hotel in Douglas. Places like the Cowboy Bar. She’s sit and listen and they treated her real nice because she was Woodrow’s next in line even if she was a little girl with grey eyes. They’d pull out their stubby pencils or heap pens and go to cooking up deals on cocktail napkins and she loved it all, knew they’d all be millionaires by midnight and broke again by closing time and she’d drive Woodrow home, sometimes drive till dawn and he’d tell where the men they’d been with were hard or weak, which ones were counterfeit and which true and they’d get a little sleep or no sleep and then saddle up and go.

She hadn’t expected to feel so uncomfortable in the bar or the rising distance she felt from her sorority sisters, girls she had grown genuinely of and the society they shared. The girls were giggling about the cowboy’s butts and the way they’d sort of swagger under a load of liquor and she felt like they’d taken her to a zoo where all the animals turned out to be old friends and she couldn’t tell her sorority sisters that and they wouldn’t understand anyway. She felt like she was a pin point in the universe and all the sides of her life were slipping away and she was without shelter. A couple of the old timers had howdeyed her in stiff surprise and that just made it worse.

And so she sat at the bar and a neon tear was forming in her eye, about to tumble down her cheek when Nance sized up to her. Nance was affable and big, handsome as hell and confident in his ways.

“Funny place to be crying.” He said.

“I know.”

“Do you know how to dance?”

“I do.” She said.

And off they went. They were married the week after graduation at the First Presbyterian Church in Casper and it was standing room only, half the people in Wyoming were there and all the money. I was real little then, still given to squirming in my seat at public functions and I remember wondering how it must have felt to kiss someone with so many people watching.

Albert and Clara Jean stuck with big oil. They never really prospered but they did ok, did a little better during the boom years and managed to keep their heads above water during the busts when all the roughnecks were squandering their unemployment checks in the gin mills, waiting for crude to go back over $8 a barrel. Albert was known as a steady hand around the patch. Even made toolpusher for Exeter over on the Otero Mesa play in New Mexico. That didn’t work out for long, though. His passive nature and indecision allowed the roughnecks to run all over him.

The oil patch was changing. You could still come to work hungover, hell, they couldn’t change that, but nipping at a pint during your shift was out and the gorilla biscuits and left coast turnarounds that the crews fueled themselves with were beginning to make the bosses and their insurance carriers nervous. Drug testing wasn’t too far down the line. All the old wildcatters were dead or gumming their mashed potatoes at some high dollar home in Dallas or Houston and the oil patch wasn’t as exciting or as much fun as it used to be. None of that bothered Albert much, hell, he didn’t think about it much, but he couldn’t bring himself to run any of the rowdy ones off or establish much discipline so the toolpusher deal fell through.

Due to the occasional salary increases and the staying power of the uninspired they did manage to graduate from singlewide trailers to doublewides in the company towns or solitary outposts where they were stationed and that was a banner moment for them.

Clara Jean stuck with it too but she hardened some over the years. Little crows feet began to form in the suntanned skin around her eyes. She wore sleeveless shirts in the summertime and cheap bras and she kept trim doing most of the work on their second car herself and lugging their dirty clothes to the Laundromat. She always wanted a washer and dryer and she let Albert know it but he argued that they would be moving again soon and he couldn’t be moving much when they did. Her one luxury was earrings. Not those little rhinestone studs either, but ones that dangled and made a statement. She was partial to a set that Albert had got her in New Mexico when they were flush. Turquoise deals that hung down a couple of inches and sometimes when they’d enter a honkytonk of a Saturday night you’d spot those earrings before you’d spot her.

Albert developed a couple of habits of language that became indelible in his character. He referred to objects of adversity in the feminine. “She’s gonna be a cold one,” he’d say, stomping his feet on the frosty platform of the rig. Or, when urging his driver through a muddy stretch of road he’d holler, “Twist her tail, Jimbo! Twist her tail!” Things like that. And when he’d be compelled to comment any situation he’d say, “Ain’t that pitiful”. It was not his rejoinder of choice, it was the one he used to the exclusion of all others. It became a nickname. “Pitiful Stillburn” they’d call him. Or “Old pitiful”. When they’d move to a new place Clara Jean would uncharitably introduce the nickname to the new crowd even before they’d catch on.

In 1955, with big oil at six dollars a barrel and rigs stacked in every basin, Albert took a job driving a water truck for Sinclair in the Black Thunder Basin out of Douglas, Wyoming, and he and Clara Jean came into our lives.

(tbc)

Nance never made much of a hand on the Crown S. Oh, he was enthusiastic enough and would ride good horses into the ground showing us that he knew his stuff around cow camp, Just sorta pushy like he was with everything else, no cow sense to him at all. We’d have a bunch of cows nudged up along a fence line, just about to look at a gate but tentative and edgy the way those old range cows are and he’s hooray right into the middle of them and they’d spook and scatter like a mad woman’s shit and we’d spend half a day getting them gathered back up and like as not he’d do it again. He always wore a holstered pistol that he’d pull out and fire occasionally, usually managing to get somebody’s horse to pitching or spook the cows again.

“Less help that a loose horse,” Woodrow would snort. He wasn’t partial to son-in-laws in general and this one in particular. My cousin Charlotte tried to educate him and cover up for him both but it was tough going for her, what with him tending to tromp more that he picked in all his endeavors. She tried not to let on that she was a top hand from the git-go but she had all the nuances of handling rude livestock in her DNA. Skeered of nothing. She’d step right up on broncy horses, could handle a rope and was just generally tougher than whang leather.

They’d go cowboying and Woodrow would threaten to leave Nance behind but he figured he was as lousy at airplane mechanizing as he was at cowboying. He proved that point when his engine seized up over Spearfish, South Dakota, and he crashed the plane, killing himself and his Georgia bride. My cousin Charlotte had two little kids by then and Woodrow checking out left them real shorthanded so they hired an old Indian named John Ghostbear off the Pine Ridge and I came up from the home ranch in Colorado to help. It was just the right kind of deal for me, just out of high school, itching to cowboy up and miles of rough country to figure out. Woodrow had left a good string of horses and I felt like I’d died and gone to heaven, doing a man’s work and getting credit for it.

We put up hay all summer, me running the buckrake and John Ghostbear pushing up stacks. Or work cattle. When we’d go out for two or three days they’d leave the kids with Edgar Canton’s wife down the river and John Ghostbear would tend the camp and cook. We made a good working unit with me and my cousin Charlotte heading or heeling and John Ghostbear coming along with the branding irons or footrot medicine that he carried. Nance notwithstanding. My cousin Charlotte set him to patching fence a lot when we were out in the country just to keep him out of our hair while we got something done as much as anything. He’d always show up for his supper, though, and boy was he a fast eating son-of-a-bitch. He’d be picking his teeth before we got our bread buttered and wouldn’t help around the camp, just finish up his food and go practice with his pistol or something till it got plumb dark.

Nance was hard on that Indian. I didn’t know whether it was because he didn’t like Indians or that John Ghostbear was just help or whether he was already trying to step into Woodrow’s boots or what but he treated him pretty rough, bossing him around all the time even when it was plain that John Ghostbear knew more about whatever it was than Nance ever would.

He didn’t treat me that way, me being family and all and the son of Woodrow’s little sister. Once we was up early, just before daybreak and fixing to head up into the Rochelle Hills to move some bulls. John Ghostbear had bucked a green colt into the side of the barn the day before and boogered up his foot and he came hobbling put of the bunkhouse late.

“I’d better catch him something to ride,” I said.

“Hell with that, kid,” Nance said. “We got to get moving. Let old war whoop catch his own horse.”

“Just take a minute,” I said, heading back to the big corral where the remuda was still milling around. When John Ghostbear would catch our horses up of a morning, which was most of the time, it was really something. He’d ask who we wanted to ride that day and ease into the big corral with his rope and some halters. He’d squat down a little and he could tell, just by seeing the ears of the circling horses against a little silhouette of daylight, which horse was which. He’d daub a horse loop on the ones we’d chosen and lead them up to the barn. It was a neat trick. I just caught the first slow horse I could and saddled him up for the old man while Nance fumed over by the gate.

That evening Nance was shooting his pistol at fence posts as we trailed down out of the hills.

“Why do you carry that gun all the time, Nance?” John Ghostbear asked.

“I don’t know,” Nance said, a little defensively. He liked carrying that gun on his hip but he knew it wasn’t something the real hands did. “There might be trouble.”

“What kind of trouble?” John Ghostbear persisted.

“It could be a snake or something. I might have to signal for help.”

John Ghostbear twisted in his saddle and looked back at me and winked. “I guess we’d have to just throw our hats in the air till they come to git us,” he said.

He could kind of hold his own with Nance, bantering like that. I never felt sorry for him. It’s funny, though. I did feel a little sorry for Nance. He never did quite fit in and I think he knew it and that was partly why he was so pushy. It was like he was operating from behind a card board cutout of himself that was as big as he wanted to be. The next morning John Ghostbear was up before anyone and when we came down from our breakfast he had all the horses lined up in the barn, munching on their hay.

There was a little tenant house on the Crown S, set at the end of the lane behind the hay stacks. They had run a water line from the big tank in the horse corral and plumbed it out in the ‘40s and married cowboys had lived off and on over the years. In the summer of 1955 Nance had struck a deal with Sinclair to rent it for their water truck driver and general roustabout, Albert “Pitiful” Stillburn. Nance was plumb tickled about the arrangement. He could strut around and toss out stuff like “property management” and “asset enhancement” and such and in a way it kinda made up for him being so lame as a cowboy and all and those lingering reservations about his aircraft mechanicing skills prior to old Woodrow’s last flight. Seventy five bucks a month. Hell, they juggled millions every year with the Federal Land Bank and the Production Credit Association so it was small change but it gave him some bragging rights and he milked ‘em for all they were worth.

Clara Jean and Albert moved right in and my cousin Charlotte went down to greet them, cordial and cool to start with. She had never met any okies but you can bet Woodrow had told her about them on those those long trips back to the ranch and she established her bonafides first like she always did. It worked out all right, though, and they’d visit once a week or so when my cousin wasn’t occupied with running the ranch. When my cousin Charlotte was out and around she’d just stop by but Clara Jean always called first when she’d plan a visit to the big house, using the crank wall phone, two longs and a short, to see if my cousin was busy. They’d trade recipes and patterns and just gab and I think it softened some of the edges that were commencing to harden along the angles of my cousin’s personality. Along about the third or fourth visit Clara Jean confided in my cousin Charlette that they had taken to calling Albert “Old Pitiful” down in Oklahoma and darned if that wasn’t apt, wasn’t it. Didn’t take us long to start calling him Old Pitiful behind his back.

Albert was gone a lot of the time. In addition to the water truck he drove on his rounds to the rigs in the basin he had a pickup Sinclair had furnished him with to troubleshoot situations in. You could tell that he felt more like a boss for big oil when he’d pull up to a rig in the pickup than in the water truck. He had the pickup outfitted with a gun rack against the back window and he had a lever action Marlin 30-30 mounted in it and occasionally he’d shoot at coyotes or jackrabbits from the road. Coyotes were twenty-five dollars a pelt in Converse County in those days and jackrabbits were fifty cents each and we all augmented our wages when we could. Old Pitiful wasn’t much of a shot, though, and he didn’t augment much.

Sinclair also furnished us with bunch of cattle guards to improve Old Pitiful’s efficiency when he made his rounds and he and Nance installed them in the fence lines, Nance doing most of the engineering and Old Pitiful doing most of the digging. There were forty three gates on the Crown S and they set in a couple of dozen cattle guards that summer. It made things a lot easier if you were driving in a vehicle but John Ghostbear and I didn’t think too much of them since we were always horseback and had to get off anyway to open the wire gates that set along side of the cattle guards. And we did lose a few cows and one horse when they got stuck in the damn things and broke their legs.

Summer rolled into fall and then winter and when the snow hit we started feeding out all the hay we put up. We’d gathered and shipped a good set of calves and the cow herd was clustered on the hay meadows strung out along the river bottoms. We had a team of Percherons and me and John Ghostbear would harness then up in the morning and skid hay to the cows. If we didn’t get a tally we’d saddle up when we got back and ride the coulees till we’d find the strays and punch them back to the river. When weather threatened or we were in a blizzard Nance or my cousin Charlotte would help but mostly we’d get done early and sit around the bunkhouse and John Ghostbear would teach me how to mend saddles or harness or talk about his old days back on the Pine Ridge. The only thing that was tough was the cold, twenty or thirty below some mornings. Lucky for us they hadn’t invented hypothermia or the wind chill factor yet or we’d probably have froze to death.

The couples fell into a pattern that winter. They’d have dinner at the big house on Saturday and when the dessert was eaten and the dishes stacked, they’d play cards. Clara Jean would always kind of dress up, I guess just to stay in practice, and along about dark she’d warm up the pickup and with Albert in tow she’d head for the big house, always with a set of those earrings floating above her shoulders. She went a little heavy on the lipstick and it was like she had two mouths, her lipstick mouth and her real one. The lipstick mouth would be sassy and grinning but her real mouth would have a set of determination to it.

They played a kind of auction bridge that Albert was familiar with from down home, contract being too complicated for him. He played like an anchor and when he’d screw up the bidding or miss a trick he’d say, “Ain’t that pitiful,” at himself. They’d partner him around the table to keep the competition level. My cousin Charlotte played efficiently and kept the conversation going and her tricks were always crisp and even in a crosshatch pattern square in front of her. Nance was an enthusiastic bidder and when he’d spot some transportation or a finesse he’d talk it up, setting his spurs to the town hole and slapping his cards down and raking in his tricks with an air of triumph. Clara Jean was good at any game and played like she knew it.

John Ghostbear was never invited to these card and supper deals and mostly when they started to shuffle up I’d drift down to the bunkhouse and he’d show me how to tie knots or rope tricks or story on about growing up on the Pine Ridge in the old days. When it was snowing and blowing I’d hang around and watch them play or read a book or turn in early.

One such Saturday, with the wind howling outside and snow in the air I was laying in front of the fireplace reading a book while they played. I had a good ground level view of their legs under the table. I glanced up as I turned a page and I saw the damndest thing. Clara Jean had her shoes off and she was snaking one stocking foot up Nance’s pant leg. Her toes just purred up and down his shinbone for a moment and withdrew. It was the sexiest thing I’d ever seen. Perhaps it still is. I blushed furiously and stuck my nose back in the book but I couldn’t focus on the words. I couldn’t have felt guiltier or more confused if I’d been caught outside a window watching someone take her clothes off. I peeped up and Nance was giving nothing away, just a secret little smile on his lips, like a fingernail of moonlight, could have meant anything. I faked a yawn and got out of there and it’s been fifty years and I can still close my eyes and still see it, still see the seam of her stockinged leg, still see her toes ascending.

As winter wore itself out and the river valley began to green up a little the Saturday night card parties kinda dwindled off. It wasn’t any one thing. My cousin Charlotte had bought a nice set of first calf black baldie heifers and it was the very devil calving them out. I bet we had to pull half those calves. We’d put them up on straw in the horsebarn when they started showing and check them two or three times a night by lantern light and there weren’t a lot of Saturday nights to it where everybody was around and not just too tired to stay up. We’d hired another couple of cowboys so the bunkhouse was full up and every two or three weeks we’d brand up a bunch of calves and drive them up into the Rochelle Hills to get them settled on their summer range.

Uncharacteristically, Nance and my cousin Charlette had started taking some time off, just a day or two here and there, go over to Rapid or Casper and spend the night. It didn’t seem like they were having a helluva lot of fun coming or going, more like they needed time alone together. Nance was trying to be more of a ramrod around the place and like as not when he was around he’d be fussing with the cowboys or arguing with Old Pitiful about some imaginary conflict between the ranching life and big oil. By the time we were getting ready for the first cutting of hay we were all so busy we almost didn’t notice the thin, thread-tiny trickle of tension that was circling the ranch, didn’t notice when the socializing stopped. And then by the time we started cutting hay the feud was on.

I only saw Nance and Clara Jean together one other time. We had just made our first cutting of hay and I was punching the last of the calvey black baldies down out of the hills to put them up by the barn till they’d deliver. It was getting on toward evening and I paused on a little bench overlooking the hay meadows along the river. I could see Nance’s pickup down in the meadow but I couldn’t tell if he was in it. As I puzzled on the situation Clara Jean’s old car came plugging into the meadow. She stopped some little distance from him and got out just as Nance emerged from his pickup. She ran toward him and I could hardly tell it was her, all youthful and expectant, just dancing like a colt on its new legs and on her last step she lifted herself into his outstretched arms. I just sat there on my tired horse, dumbfounded at humans and their joined behavior. I didn’t know that everything they were capable of was ordained, didn’t understand the imperative of infidelity or the force necessary to budge open the gates of desire. I did know that no man in his right mind, given a choice between Clara Jean and my cousin Charlotte, would choose Clara Jean Stillburn. No one. And yet, there on the sawn stems of the grass hay, between the green and twisted windrows, my cousin Charlotte was the one not chosen.

I shook my head, feeling somehow like a henchman, and tickled up the horse with a spur and trailed those baldies back to the barn.

Those cattle guards, imagined by Sinclair to induce efficiency and increase job performance, were the perfect gift of contention for Nance and Old Pitiful. Naturally it started out good. Nance saw them as a freebie, make his life a little easier and cost nothing. They’d joke about cheating the weather, avoiding getting out in the rain and mud to open a gate and then getting out again to close it, just sailing over them cattle guards high and dry above the slop. Because there weren’t enough to go around, Old Pitiful had to choose the locations and he took the job with grave earnestness, poring over routes, distances and travel frequencies. Once they got them installed everyone was tickled at the convenience and comfort they represented. They even put one right at the headquarters between the machine yard and the hay meadow, which wasn’t, strictly speaking, on Albert’s route to anywhere but his Saturday night supper and card game.

Then something began to roll over in Nance’s brain, like tumblers in a lock about to open. He started thinking maybe, just maybe, those cattle guards were the ranch’s and by extension, his. He started thinking a cattle guard would serve a better purpose if it were located, say, on the road to Cottonwood Dam where he went frequently to check on pairs than on the road to the Black Thunder Basin, a route used almost exclusively by Old Pitiful. Their talks around the issue moved from conversation to discussion to argument. Usually when two old boys say they’re gonna fight over some girl, it’s the fight they want, not the girl, and that’s the way it was between Nance and Old Pitiful. When they started referring to those cattle guards respectively as “fixtures” and “corporate assets” I knew we were headed for trouble. First Nance announced his intention to move the cattle guard up to Cottonwood. Then Old Pitiful made a flurry of calls to corporate in Casper to get a bigshot down to help him. Then Nance cut the phone line to the tenant house and Old Pitiful drove over to the basin to flag his super into the ruckus. It was his last trip over the cattle guard.

The day of the incident Nance went out after breakfast and cranked up the winch truck. Old Pitiful was still off somewhere over in the basin. The winch truck was an old military deal, a Dodge Power Wagon with a spool of cable bolted to the bed and gin poles that raised up to fit into a headache rack mounted behind the cab. He drove it out to the cattle guard on the Thunder Basin Road. It took him a while to get the rails unbolted from the crossties they were anchored to in the trench. Then he set the gin poles, lowered the cable and hooked it into the cattle guard and slowly lifted it out of the trench. Just as he got it up out of the hole Old Pitiful’s pickup rounded the curve on the road from Thunder Basin. Old Pitiful’s search for backup had been futile and he was sleepless and in a quandary as to what to do. They both jumped out and went to hollering. Words like “private property” and “legal rights” spun in the air between them.

Finally Old Pitiful took a position. “Put her back, Nance.” He said. “She don’t belong to you.” The words were like a line in the sand. He didn’t feel like Old Pitiful anymore.

“Back off, you son-of-a-bitch.” Nance said, the anger rising through his voice. “I’ll do as I damn well please.” He pulled his pistol out of its holster to emphasize his authority and pointed it in Albert’s general direction.

Albert didn’t even hesitate. In the one true and untarnished moment of his lifetime he took a step back to the truck, pulled the Marlin from the rack and levering a shell into the chamber, took modest aim and shot Nance stone dead through the chest. He felt for an instant that he was unequivocal and pure and vindicated. He stepped around the trench and touched Nance with a toe. He saw the blossom of blood beginning to spread in the dirt beneath the body and he began to tremble. He walked back to the truck, replaced the rifle in the rack and drove himself to Douglas and turned himself in to the high sheriff of Converse County.

My cousin Charlotte didn’t talk about it. She’d take care of the kids or stand in the kitchen corner, her grey gaze taking in the barns and the meadow and the river. After they cleaned up the mess out there she asked me to bring the winch truck back. John Ghostbear and I rode out to where the truck sat in the road, the cattle guard still dangling from the gin poles. We didn’t know what else to do so we lowered it into the trench and reset the anchor bolts to the crossties. I’ll admit it felt a little disloyal to do it. I drove the winch truck back to the ranch and John Ghostbear trailed the horses in behind.

My cousin Charlotte still wasn’t talking much but she must have managed with the funeral home. We buried Nance in the family plot in Douglas and my cousin Charlotte had to have chosen where Nance would spend eternity—three spots over from old Woodrow and one row down. All the regulars were there, the old cowboys and supporters of the dynasty. It was as much a homage to Woodrow as anything. My cousin Charlotte did not treat them to any evidence of her grief and no tear formed behind her grey eyes. She was as formal in her black dress and veil as she had been in her wedding white at her marriage years ago. Bookends on a bad deal.

The newspapers had a field day over it. “Range War Erupts in Thunder Basin,” screamed the headlines. Or “Violence Strikes as Cattleman and Big Oil Square Off.” Hell, it wasn’t a range war. I’d read all about the Johnson County War and I knew guys who were in that trouble down in Tensleep. I even got drunk once in Denver with an old geezer who claimed he’d hanged Tom Horn. Range wars happen over grass or sheep or water or plowing. Not the accidental anger of two flawed men on the road to Thunder Basin. And women, if they figured into range wars at all, were minor qualifiers.

My cousin Charlotte didn’t attend the trial either and it was just as well. The charge was manslaughter and the company lawyer they sent over from Casper to defend Old Pitiful was kinda weaselly, didn’t even want to talk about the shooting and made up that it was all about legitimate corporate interests and fiduciary responsibility and diminution of assets and all the money big oil had put into the local economy. Stuff like that. The prosecutor went to great lengths to prove that Albert fired the fatal shot and that there were no other suspects and all, which we knew anyway. So it was a typical American justice deal, brought up on one set of charges, tried according to something else, with the real deal shifting beneath it all, murky, fallow and unsung.

No one mentioned Clara Jean but she was there all three days, sitting behind Albert in stiff support in kind of a business dress, blouses buttoned to the throat and only those New Mexican earrings, swaying from her lobes to hint at her true feelings in the matter.

The judge gave Old Pitiful two years in the state pen down in Rawlings, out in eighteen months if good behavior warranted, which it would, and he acted almost grateful as they led him out of there.

It was plenty of time for Clara Jean to get her divorce and get on back to Oklahoma. Some ladies from down the river helped her pack and get ready but my cousin Charlotte never saw her again or spoke to her. Always aloof to awkwardness in the manner of her tribe, she removed herself even further from our lives. We would come up to the big house for ranch orders and occasionally we would see her, standing pensively at the kitchen window.

That fall I took off to scrape some green off my horns. I figured by the time they caught me I’d be too old to train. John Ghostbear, after drinking all night at the Antlers in Newcastle, decided to take the wrong nap in the railyards behind the bar and got run over by one of those Burlington Northern coal trains out of Gilette.

Albert must have got out of prison but no one ever saw him again. I guess he became just another face in the nameless oil patch of the west with a story he wasn’t going to talk about. I heard that Clara Jean married well down in Oklahoma and I believe that to be true.

That all happened some fifty odd years ago. And me, I’m badgered up on a trickle of river called the Mimbres down in the bootheel of New Mexico. I guess I’m here for the duration. And I don’t know if those people were ever real the way I remember them, whether they lived and dreamed and loved the way I’m saying or whether I’m making them up with ink and memory. Could those brittle women have found themselves aching for someone like Nance? If there was rivalry, who were the antagonists? Were Nance and Albert false rivals merely, instruments used and dealt away like low cards in the deck? And did the true rivals declare their victory in separate silences, like haughty queens, and stay or quit the field in kind? And did justice itself, wheeling in tandem with the stars, pause in its course over Wyoming’s cold ground for some yahoo like Albert Stillburn to bubble up in agency and act, and then jerk onward? I don’t know. I do not know. I do know that the Cheyenne River still runs through the Crown S and that cattle still dot the flanks of the hills and hay meadows and that my cousin Charlotte is up there still and that is a well run place.

The end.
Last edited by Alaya on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alaya

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:45 pm

O Henryesque. Faulkneresque. Oh, and reads a lot like Walker Percy too.

Idols by Tim Gautreaux

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/06/22/090622fi_fiction_gautreaux?currentPage=all
Without traversing the edges, the center is unknowable.
Hugo Farnsworth

Postby jingofever » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 am

jingofever

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:07 am

brainpanhandler

Postby jingofever » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:15 am

A Christmas Eve in the Future. Another comic, but as somebody said:

It's not so much a webcomic as an illustrated short story.
jingofever

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:34 pm

The Repairer Of Reputations
Robert W. Chambers

[on edit: too many characters. My post keeps cutting off, as though it's telling me You call this a short story?]

link instead
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:32 am

THE CHRISTMAS TREE AND THE WEDDING

BY FIODOR M. DOSTOYEVSKY

The other day I saw a wedding... But no! I would rather tell you about
a Christmas tree. The wedding was superb. I liked it immensely. But
the other incident was still finer. I don't know why it is that the
sight of the wedding reminded me of the Christmas tree. This is the
way it happened:

Exactly five years ago, on New Year's Eve, I was invited to a
children's ball by a man high up in the business world, who had his
connections, his circle of acquaintances, and his intrigues. So it
seemed as though the children's ball was merely a pretext for the
parents to come together and discuss matters of interest to
themselves, quite innocently and casually.

I was an outsider, and, as I had no special matters to air, I was able
to spend the evening independently of the others. There was another
gentleman present who like myself had just stumbled upon this affair
of domestic bliss. He was the first to attract my attention. His
appearance was not that of a man of birth or high family. He was tall,
rather thin, very serious, and well dressed. Apparently he had no
heart for the family festivities. The instant he went off into a
corner by himself the smile disappeared from his face, and his thick
dark brows knitted into a frown. He knew no one except the host and
showed every sign of being bored to death, though bravely sustaining
the role of thorough enjoyment to the end. Later I learned that he was
a provincial, had come to the capital on some important, brain-racking
business, had brought a letter of recommendation to our host, and our
host had taken him under his protection, not at all _con amore_. It
was merely out of politeness that he had invited him to the children's
ball.

They did not play cards with him, they did not offer him cigars. No
one entered into conversation with him. Possibly they recognised the
bird by its feathers from a distance. Thus, my gentleman, not knowing
what to do with his hands, was compelled to spend the evening stroking
his whiskers. His whiskers were really fine, but he stroked them so
assiduously that one got the feeling that the whiskers had come into
the world first and afterwards the man in order to stroke them.

There was another guest who interested me. But he was of quite a
different order. He was a personage. They called him Julian
Mastakovich. At first glance one could tell he was an honoured guest
and stood in the same relation to the host as the host to the
gentleman of the whiskers. The host and hostess said no end of amiable
things to him, were most attentive, wining him, hovering over him,
bringing guests up to be introduced, but never leading him to any one
else. I noticed tears glisten in our host's eyes when Julian
Mastakovich remarked that he had rarely spent such a pleasant evening.
Somehow I began to feel uncomfortable in this personage's presence.
So, after amusing myself with the children, five of whom, remarkably
well-fed young persons, were our host's, I went into a little
sitting-room, entirely unoccupied, and seated myself at the end that
was a conservatory and took up almost half the room.

The children were charming. They absolutely refused to resemble their
elders, notwithstanding the efforts of mothers and governesses. In a
jiffy they had denuded the Christmas tree down to the very last sweet
and had already succeeded in breaking half of their playthings before
they even found out which belonged to whom.

One of them was a particularly handsome little lad, dark-eyed,
curly-haired, who stubbornly persisted in aiming at me with his wooden
gun. But the child that attracted the greatest attention was his
sister, a girl of about eleven, lovely as a Cupid. She was quiet and
thoughtful, with large, full, dreamy eyes. The children had somehow
offended her, and she left them and walked into the same room that I
had withdrawn into. There she seated herself with her doll in a
corner.

"Her father is an immensely wealthy business man," the guests informed
each other in tones of awe. "Three hundred thousand rubles set aside
for her dowry already."

As I turned to look at the group from which I heard this news item
issuing, my glance met Julian Mastakovich's. He stood listening to the
insipid chatter in an attitude of concentrated attention, with his
hands behind his back and his head inclined to one side.

All the while I was quite lost in admiration of the shrewdness our
host displayed in the dispensing of the gifts. The little maid of the
many-rubied dowry received the handsomest doll, and the rest of the
gifts were graded in value according to the diminishing scale of the
parents' stations in life. The last child, a tiny chap of ten, thin,
red-haired, freckled, came into possession of a small book of nature
stories without illustrations or even head and tail pieces. He was the
governess's child. She was a poor widow, and her little boy, clad in a
sorry-looking little nankeen jacket, looked thoroughly crushed and
intimidated. He took the book of nature stories and circled slowly
about the children's toys. He would have given anything to play with
them. But he did not dare to. You could tell he already knew his
place.

I like to observe children. It is fascinating to watch the
individuality in them struggling for self-assertion. I could see that
the other children's things had tremendous charm for the red-haired
boy, especially a toy theatre, in which he was so anxious to take a
part that he resolved to fawn upon the other children. He smiled and
began to play with them. His one and only apple he handed over to a
puffy urchin whose pockets were already crammed with sweets, and he
even carried another youngster pickaback--all simply that he might be
allowed to stay with the theatre.

But in a few moments an impudent young person fell on him and gave him
a pummelling. He did not dare even to cry. The governess came and told
him to leave off interfering with the other children's games, and he
crept away to the same room the little girl and I were in. She let him
sit down beside her, and the two set themselves busily dressing the
expensive doll.

Almost half an hour passed, and I was nearly dozing off, as I sat
there in the conservatory half listening to the chatter of the
red-haired boy and the dowered beauty, when Julian Mastakovich entered
suddenly. He had slipped out of the drawing-room under cover of a
noisy scene among the children. From my secluded corner it had not
escaped my notice that a few moments before he had been eagerly
conversing with the rich girl's father, to whom he had only just been
introduced.

He stood still for a while reflecting and mumbling to himself, as if
counting something on his fingers.

"Three hundred--three hundred--eleven--twelve--thirteen--sixteen--in
five years! Let's say four per cent--five times twelve--sixty, and on
these sixty----. Let us assume that in five years it will amount
to--well, four hundred. Hm--hm! But the shrewd old fox isn't likely to
be satisfied with four per cent. He gets eight or even ten, perhaps.
Let's suppose five hundred, five hundred thousand, at least, that's
sure. Anything above that for pocket money--hm--"

He blew his nose and was about to leave the room when he spied the
girl and stood still. I, behind the plants, escaped his notice. He
seemed to me to be quivering with excitement. It must have been his
calculations that upset him so. He rubbed his hands and danced from
place to place, and kept getting more and more excited. Finally,
however, he conquered his emotions and came to a standstill. He cast a
determined look at the future bride and wanted to move toward her, but
glanced about first. Then, as if with a guilty conscience, he stepped
over to the child on tip-toe, smiling, and bent down and kissed her
head.

His coming was so unexpected that she uttered a shriek of alarm.

"What are you doing here, dear child?" he whispered, looking around
and pinching her cheek.

"We're playing."

"What, with him?" said Julian Mastakovich with a look askance at the
governess's child. "You should go into the drawing-room, my lad," he
said to him.

The boy remained silent and looked up at the man with wide-open eyes.
Julian Mastakovich glanced round again cautiously and bent down over
the girl.

"What have you got, a doll, my dear?"

"Yes, sir." The child quailed a little, and her brow wrinkled.

"A doll? And do you know, my dear, what dolls are made of?"

"No, sir," she said weakly, and lowered her head.

"Out of rags, my dear. You, boy, you go back to the drawing-room, to
the children," said Julian Mastakovich looking at the boy sternly.

The two children frowned. They caught hold of each other and would not
part.

"And do you know why they gave you the doll?" asked Julian
Mastakovich, dropping his voice lower and lower.

"No."

"Because you were a good, very good little girl the whole week."

Saying which, Julian Mastakovich was seized with a paroxysm of
agitation. He looked round and said in a tone faint, almost inaudible
with excitement and impatience:

"If I come to visit your parents will you love me, my dear?"

He tried to kiss the sweet little creature, but the red-haired boy saw
that she was on the verge of tears, and he caught her hand and sobbed
out loud in sympathy. That enraged the man.

"Go away! Go away! Go back to the other room, to your playmates."

"I don't want him to. I don't want him to! You go away!" cried the
girl. "Let him alone! Let him alone!" She was almost weeping.

There was a sound of footsteps in the doorway. Julian Mastakovich
started and straightened up his respectable body. The red-haired boy
was even more alarmed. He let go the girl's hand, sidled along the
wall, and escaped through the drawing-room into the dining-room.

Not to attract attention, Julian Mastakovich also made for the
dining-room. He was red as a lobster. The sight of himself in a mirror
seemed to embarrass him. Presumably he was annoyed at his own ardour
and impatience. Without due respect to his importance and dignity, his
calculations had lured and pricked him to the greedy eagerness of a
boy, who makes straight for his object--though this was not as yet an
object; it only would be so in five years' time. I followed the worthy
man into the dining-room, where I witnessed a remarkable play.

Julian Mastakovich, all flushed with vexation, venom in his look,
began to threaten the red-haired boy. The red-haired boy retreated
farther and farther until there was no place left for him to retreat
to, and he did not know where to turn in his fright.

"Get out of here! What are you doing here? Get out, I say, you
good-for-nothing! Stealing fruit, are you? Oh, so, stealing fruit! Get
out, you freckle face, go to your likes!"

The frightened child, as a last desperate resort, crawled quickly
under the table. His persecutor, completely infuriated, pulled out his
large linen handkerchief and used it as a lash to drive the boy out of
his position.

Here I must remark that Julian Mastakovich was a somewhat corpulent
man, heavy, well-fed, puffy-cheeked, with a paunch and ankles as round
as nuts. He perspired and puffed and panted. So strong was his dislike
(or was it jealousy?) of the child that he actually began to carry on
like a madman.

I laughed heartily. Julian Mastakovich turned. He was utterly confused
and for a moment, apparently, quite oblivious of his immense
importance. At that moment our host appeared in the doorway opposite.
The boy crawled out from under the table and wiped his knees and
elbows. Julian Mastakovich hastened to carry his handkerchief, which
he had been dangling by the corner, to his nose. Our host looked at
the three of us rather suspiciously. But, like a man who knows the
world and can readily adjust himself, he seized upon the opportunity
to lay hold of his very valuable guest and get what he wanted out of
him.

"Here's the boy I was talking to you about," he said, indicating the
red-haired child. "I took the liberty of presuming on your goodness in
his behalf."

"Oh," replied Julian Mastakovich, still not quite master of himself.

"He's my governess's son," our host continued in a beseeching tone.
"She's a poor creature, the widow of an honest official. That's why,
if it were possible for you--"

"Impossible, impossible!" Julian Mastakovich cried hastily. "You must
excuse me, Philip Alexeyevich, I really cannot. I've made inquiries.
There are no vacancies, and there is a waiting list of ten who have a
greater right--I'm sorry."

"Too bad," said our host. "He's a quiet, unobtrusive child."

"A very naughty little rascal, I should say," said Julian Mastakovich,
wryly. "Go away, boy. Why are you here still? Be off with you to the
other children."

Unable to control himself, he gave me a sidelong glance. Nor could I
control myself. I laughed straight in his face. He turned away and
asked our host, in tones quite audible to me, who that odd young
fellow was. They whispered to each other and left the room,
disregarding me.

I shook with laughter. Then I, too, went to the drawing-room. There
the great man, already surrounded by the fathers and mothers and the
host and the hostess, had begun to talk eagerly with a lady to whom he
had just been introduced. The lady held the rich little girl's hand.
Julian Mastakovich went into fulsome praise of her. He waxed ecstatic
over the dear child's beauty, her talents, her grace, her excellent
breeding, plainly laying himself out to flatter the mother, who
listened scarcely able to restrain tears of joy, while the father
showed his delight by a gratified smile.

The joy was contagious. Everybody shared in it. Even the children were
obliged to stop playing so as not to disturb the conversation. The
atmosphere was surcharged with awe. I heard the mother of the
important little girl, touched to her profoundest depths, ask Julian
Mastakovich in the choicest language of courtesy, whether he would
honour them by coming to see them. I heard Julian Mastakovich accept
the invitation with unfeigned enthusiasm. Then the guests scattered
decorously to different parts of the room, and I heard them, with
veneration in their tones, extol the business man, the business man's
wife, the business man's daughter, and, especially, Julian
Mastakovich.

"Is he married?" I asked out loud of an acquaintance of mine standing
beside Julian Mastakovich.

Julian Mastakovich gave me a venomous look.

"No," answered my acquaintance, profoundly shocked by
my--intentional--indiscretion.

Not long ago I passed the Church of----. I was struck by the concourse
of people gathered there to witness a wedding. It was a dreary day. A
drizzling rain was beginning to come down. I made my way through the
throng into the church. The bridegroom was a round, well-fed,
pot-bellied little man, very much dressed up. He ran and fussed about
and gave orders and arranged things. Finally word was passed that the
bride was coming. I pushed through the crowd, and I beheld a
marvellous beauty whose first spring was scarcely commencing. But the
beauty was pale and sad. She looked distracted. It seemed to me even
that her eyes were red from recent weeping. The classic severity of
every line of her face imparted a peculiar significance and solemnity
to her beauty. But through that severity and solemnity, through the
sadness, shone the innocence of a child. There was something
inexpressibly naïve, unsettled and young in her features, which,
without words, seemed to plead for mercy.

They said she was just sixteen years old. I looked at the bridegroom
carefully. Suddenly I recognised Julian Mastakovich, whom I had not
seen again in all those five years. Then I looked at the bride
again.--Good God! I made my way, as quickly as I could, out of the
church. I heard gossiping in the crowd about the bride's wealth--about
her dowry of five hundred thousand rubles--so and so much for pocket
money.

"Then his calculations were correct," I thought, as I pressed out into
the street.

GOD SEES THE TRUTH, BUT WAITS
brainpanhandler

Postby compared2what? » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:00 am

The Sentence

By Donald Barthelme

Or a long sentence moving at a certain pace down the page aiming for the bottom-if not the bottom of this page then some other page-where it can rest, or stop for a moment to think out the questions raised by its own (temporary) existence, which ends when the page is turned, or the sentence falls out of the mind that holds it (temporarily) in some kind of embrace, not necessarily an ardent one, but more perhaps the kind of embrace enjoyed (or endured), by a wife who has just waked up and is on her way to the bathroom in the morning to wash her hair, and is bumped into by her husband, who has been lounging at the breakfast table reading the newspaper, and doesn't see her coming out of the bedroom, but, when he bumps into her, or is bumped into by her, raises his hands to embrace her lightly, transiently, because he knows that if he gives her a real embrace so early in the morning, before she has properly shaken the dreams out of her head, and got her duds on, she won't respond, and may even become slightly angry, and say something wounding, and so the husband invests in this embrace not so much physical or emotional pressure as he might, because he doesn't want to waste anything-with this sort of feeling, then, the sentence passes through the mind more or less, and there is another way of describing the situation too, which is to say that the sentence crawls through the mind like something someone says to you while you are listening very hard to the FM radio, some rock group there, with its thrilling sound, and so, with your attention or the major part of it at least already rewarded, there is not much mind room you can give to the remark, especially considering that you have probably just quarreled with that person, the maker of the remark, over the radio being too loud, or something like that, and the view you take, of the remark, is that you'd really rather not hear it, but if you have to hear it, you want to listen to it for the smallest possible length of time, and during a commercial, because immediately after the commercial they're going to play a new rock song by your favorite group, a cut that has never been aired before, and you want to hear it and respond to it in a new way, a way that accords with whatever you're feeling at the moment, or might feel, if the threat of new experience could be (temporarily) overbalanced by the promise of possible positive benefits, or what the mind construes as such, remembering that these are often, really, disguised defeats (not that such defeats are not, at times, good for your character, teaching you that it is not by success alone that one surmounts life, but that setbacks, too, contribute to that roughening of the personality that, by providing a textured surface to place against that of life, enables you to leave slight traces, or smudges, on the face of human history-your mark) and after all, benefit-seeking always has something of the smell of raw vanity about it, as if you wished to decorate your own brow with laurel, or wear your medals to a cookout, when the invitation had said nothing about them, and although the ego is always hungry (we are told) it is well to remember that ongoing success is nearly as meaningless as ongoing lack of success, which can make you sick, and that it is good to leave a few crumbs on the table for the rest of your brethren, not to sweep it all into the little beaded purse of your soul but to allow others, too, part of the gratification, and if you share in this way you will find the clouds smiling on you, and the postman bringing you letters, and bicycles available when you want to rent them, and many other signs, however guarded and limited, of the community's (temporary) approval of you, or at least of it's willingness to let you believe (temporarily) that it finds you not so lacking in commendable virtues as it had previously allowed you to think, from its scorn of your merits, as it might be put, or anyway its consistent refusal to recognize your basic humanness and its secret blackball of the project of your remaining alive, made in executive session by its ruling bodies, which, as everyone knows, carry out concealed programs of reward and punishment, under the rose, causing faint alterations of the status quo, behind your back, at various points along the periphery of community life, together with other enterprises not dissimilar in tone, such as producing films that have special qualities, or attributes, such as a film where the second half of it is a holy mystery, and girls and women are not permitted to see it, or writing novels in which the final chapter is a plastic bag filled with water, which you can touch, but not drink: in this way, or ways, the underground mental life of the collectivity is botched, or denied, or turned into something else never imagined by the planners, who, returning from the latest seminar in crisis management and being asked what they have learned, say they have learned how to throw up their hands; the sentence meanwhile, although not insensible of these considerations, has a festering conscience of its own, which persuades it to follow its star, and to move with all deliberate speed from one place to another, without losing any of the "riders" it may have picked up just being there, on the page, and turning this way and that, to see what is over there, under that oddly-shaped tree, or over there, reflected in the rain barrel of the imagination, even though it is true that in our young manhood we were taught that short, punchy sentences were best (but what did he mean? doesn't "punchy" mean punch-drunk? I think he probably intended to say "short, punching sentences," meaning sentences that lashed out at you, bloodying your brain if possible, and looking up the word just now I came across the nearby "punkah," which is a large fan suspended from the ceiling in India, operated by an attendant pulling a rope-that is what I want for my sentence, to keep it cool!) we are mature enough now to stand the shock of learning that much of what we were taught in our youth was wrong, or improperly understood by those who were teaching it, or perhaps shaded a bit, the shading resulting from the personal needs of the teachers, who as human beings had a tendency to introduce some of their heart's blood into their work, and sometimes this may not have been of the first water, this heart's blood, and even if they thought they were moving the "knowledge" out, as the Board of Education had mandated, they could have noticed that their sentences weren't having the knockdown power of the new weapons whose bullets tumble end-over-end (but it is true that we didn't have these weapons at that time) and they might have taken into account the fundamental dubiousness of their project (but all the intelligently conceived projects have been eaten up already, like the moon and the stars) leaving us, in our best clothes, with only things to do like conducting vigorous wars of attrition against our wives, who have now thoroughly come awake, and slipped into their striped bells, and pulled sweaters over their torsi, and adamantly refused to wear any bras under the sweaters, carefully explaining the political significance of this refusal to anyone who will listen, or look, but not touch, because that has nothing to do with it, so they say; leaving us, as it were, with only things to do like floating sheets of Reynolds Wrap around the room, trying to find out how many we can keep in the air at the same time, which at least gives us a sense of participation, as though we were Buddha, looking down at the mystery of your smile, which needs to be investigated, and I think I'll do that right now, while there's still enough light, if you'll sit down over there, in the best chair, and take off all your clothes, and put your feet in that electric toe caddy (which prevents pneumonia) and slip into this permanent press hospital gown, to cover your nakedness-why, if you do all that, we'll be ready to begin! after I wash my hands, because you pick up an amazing amount of exuviae in this city, just by walking around in the open air, and nodding to acquaintances, and speaking to friends, and copulating with lovers, in the ordinary course (and death to our enemies! by and by)-but I'm getting a little uptight, just about washing my hands, because I can't find the soap, which somebody has used and not put back in the soap dish, all of which is extremely irritating, if you have a beautiful patient sitting in the examining room, naked inside her gown, and peering at her moles in the mirror, with her immense brown eyes following your every movement (when they are not watching the moles, expecting them, as in a Disney nature film, to exfoliate) and her immense brown head wondering what you're going to do to her, the pierced places in the head letting that question leak out, while the therapist decides just to wash his hands in plain water, and hang the soap! and does so, and then looks around for a towel, but all the towels have been collected by the towel service, and are not there, so he wipes his hands on his pants, in the back (so as to avoid suspicious stains on the front) thinking: what must she think of me? and, all this is very unprofessional and at-sea looking! trying to visualize the contretemps from her point of view, if she has one (but how can she? she is not in the washroom) and then stopping, because it is finally his own point of view that he cares about and not hers, and with this firmly in mind, and a light, confident step, such as you might find in the works of Bulwer-Lytton, he enters the space she occupies so prettily and, taking her by the hand, proceeds to tear off the stiff white hospital gown (but no, we cannot have that kind of pornographic merde in this majestic and high-minded sentence, which will probably end up in the Library of Congress) (that was just something that took place inside his consciousness, as he looked at her, and since we know that consciousness is always consciousness of something, she is not entirely without responsibility in the matter) so, then, taking her by the hand, he falls into the stupendous white puree of her abyss, no, I mean rather that he asks her how long it has been since her last visit, and she says a fortnight, and he shudders, and tells her that with a condition like hers (she is an immensely popular soldier, and her troops win all their battles by pretending to be forests, the enemy discovering, at the last moment, that those trees they have eaten their lunch under have eyes and swords) (which reminds me of the performance, in 1845, of Robert-Houdin, called The Fantastic Orange Tree, wherein Robert-Houdin borrowed a lady's handkerchief, rubbed it between his hands and passed it into the center of an egg, after which he passed the egg into the center of a lemon, after which he passed the lemon into the center of an orange, then pressed the orange between his hands, making it smaller and smaller, until only a powder remained, whereupon he asked for a small potted orange tree and sprinkled the powder thereupon, upon which the tree burst into blossom, the blossoms turning into oranges, the oranges turning into butterflies, and the butterflies turning into beautiful young ladies, who then married members of the audience), a condition so damaging to real-time social intercourse of any kind, the best thing she can do is give up, and lay down her arms, and he will lie down in them, and together they will permit themselves a bit of the old slap and tickle, she wearing only her Mr. Christopher medal, on its silver chain, and he (for such is the latitude granted the professional classes) worrying about the sentence, about its thin wires of dramatic tension, which have been omitted, about whether we should write down some natural events occurring in the sky (birds, lightning bolts), and about a possible coup d'etat within the sentence, whereby its chief verb would be-but at this moment a messenger rushes into the sentence, bleeding from a hat of thorns he's wearing, and cries out: "You don't know what you're doing! Stop making this sentence, and begin instead to make Moholy-Nagy cocktails, for those are what we really need, on the frontiers of bad behavior!" and then he falls to the floor, and a trap door opens under him, and he falls through that, into a damp pit where a blue narwhal waits, its horn poised (but maybe the weight of the messenger, falling from such a height, will break off the horn)-thus, considering everything very carefully, in the sweet light of the ceremonial axes, in the run-mad skimble-skamble of information sickness, we must make a decision as to whether we should proceed, or go back, in the latter case enjoying the pathos of eradication, in which the former case reading an erotic advertisement which begins, How to Make Your Mouth a Blowtorch of Excitement (but wouldn't that overtax our mouthwashes?) attempting, during the pause, while our burned mouths are being smeared with fat, to imagine a better sentence, worthier, more meaningful, like those in the Declaration of Independence, or a bank statement showing that you have seven thousand kroner more than you thought you had-a statement summing up the unreasonable demands that you make on life, and one that also asks the question, if you can imagine these demands, why are they not routinely met, tall fool? but of course it is not that query that this infected sentence has set out to answer (and hello! to our girl friend, Rosetta Stone, who has stuck by us through thick and thin) but some other query that we shall some day discover the nature of, and here comes Ludwig, the expert on sentence construction we have borrowed from the Bauhaus, who will-"Guten Tag, Ludwig!"-probably find a way to cure the sentence's sprawl, by using the improved way of thinking developed in Weimer-"I am sorry to inform you that the Bauhaus no longer exists, that all of the great masters who formerly thought there are either dead or retired, and that I myself have been reduced to constructing books on how to pass the examination for police sergeant"-and Ludwig falls through the Tugendhat House into the history of man-made objects; a disappointment, to be sure, but it reminds us that the sentence itself is a man-made object, not the one we wanted of course, but still a construction of man, a structure to be treasured for its weakness, as opposed to the strength of stones.
compared2what?

Re: The short-story only thread

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:08 am

confiction.org wrote:Was a Dark, a Rainy Nighttime by Mike Keith

(This story was submitted for the 'Pi' challenge on 06:48PM on Sunday 01 August and has been rated 4.96 stars by eleven moderators. It has been viewed one thousand, seven hundred and seventeen times.)

For a time I stood, relishing my autumn night. Amy hated wordless nighttime walking intensely, and so had strutted home dourly. "I'm rather cold," she had muttered, "and so...goodbye."

Welcoming night surrounded me; lukewarm droplets fell. I continued walking. I passed gentlemen and derelicts wandering the streets alone. I considered their fortunes, my misfortune.

Reviewing various past incidents (lost love, women discarded, my old residences, careers, comrades), I walked past mysterious alleys to suddenly arrive at Blackwood's Bookshop. Dignified bookworms searched stacks of inviting paperbacks. And then, suddenly, my stare met hers.

"Um...I...I..."

"Quickly, sweetheart, softly! Outside!"

Strangely enjoying it, I went, somewhat bewildered although surely happy. I sat so silently as she approached. Coming closer, then bending delicately alongside, she tenderly said,

"This strong, pronounced technique which style constrains

Shall delegate to me, now I believe,

An earth for loves unleashed like hurricanes;

Herewith I do innately this perceive."

"I...I...," I giddily said again, resembling an absolute fool. I spluttered, "I'm Michael Wordsworth. I apologize for becoming silly." So I, a blithering idiot, spoke, while everybody stared. "Hush, hush! Listen up! Go instantly home. Remember important stuff: love, integrity, art, literature," she lectured.

I entreated softly, "Your name is...?" Suddenly, silently, a driverless limousine stopped, doors neatly marked "Muses Unlimited". She was gone.

PI Challenge
Pi

Create a story where each word's length follows that of the number PI viz 3.141592653589793238462643383279... So the first word will be 3 letters long, the next one letter long etc.
§ê¢rꆧ

Re: The short-story only thread

Postby AlicetheKurious » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 am

What a powerful short story! I read it after I'd just done my scariest impersonation of the Mother From Hell for my helpless child, just before he left for school. Reading it stabbed me like a knife:

This Evening

It was a relationship abrasive and intimate, based on love. So a good relationship. To his children he barked commands, swore, adopted strict military monotones, or ignored them, ordered them out. Underneath it was love. Usually his anger was feigned. He didn’t know how else to control his thoughts when children were screaming. He wasn’t a multitasker. So it wasn’t so much a matter of controlling the children as of organising himself, except on certain planned occasions. The children understood this.

For a while he lay in the bed with the girl to read her from a book of prehistory. He read a page she read a page. It was volcanoes and evolution versus creation myths. Then he called the boy to come and join them. Come and read the good book, he said. His mother had read him the Bible when he was young although she wasn’t a Christian, or it must have been selections, but he remembered the dark shock of Noah drunk and naked cursing his son to enslavement, and Lot’s daughters spicing their father’s drink just right to get him drunk, but not too drunk to fuck, and Abraham pimping his wife, twice, and God rewarding him for it, and the passion and strangeness of it all. He was grateful to his mother for showing him this stuff and was passing the favour to his own children. Except he sent the girl out of the room for the aforementioned parts. She was only seven after all. Both children enjoyed it, just the Book of Genesis so far.

This time the boy wasn’t coming. He was only halfway here. I don’t want to read anything, he whined. I won’t read anything if we sit on that. The father and the girl had moved to a mattress on the floor because the bed was broken and couldn’t hold three. No, he whined. No, I’m not coming. The father said, come on! No, whined the boy, I’m tired. I want to go to bed. So go to bed please, said the father. Brush your teeth and go to bed and stick to your word.

The boy went to bed and switched the light off but when his father moved to go downstairs he came out of the room and said he didn’t want to sleep any more. His father insisted he sleep, again and again, even when the boy moaned into tears. He insisted because this was a common trick, emotional dramatics to tease him, and he didn’t have time to be teased.

He descended, shouting up for the noise to be silenced, but as he heard the boy crying his heart melted. It wasn’t a sugary sensation but a lumpen, broken, shardish experience like rocks crashing together. It had velocity. He rolled a cigarette and smoked it anyway, during which time he remembered the boy crying before – two episodes flashing in his mind, once when he’d snapped savagely at him, only five years old, and the boy had widened his eyes in recognition of the hostility, and cried out from his soul ‘sometimes you arent nice to me at all!’ Which was true. Then the father was seized with pain, and clutched the son and said sorry, told him he loved him. The other time was once out in the desert, when the boy was tardy with thirst, hunger, tiredness, and the father shouted at him, insulted him as if he were a man. Later he realised his fault, hours later.

But this was not then. He hadn’t done wrong. Yet his heart ached and his eyes even swam. He couldn’t bear to hear the boy cry. The sound of it seared his humble innards, made the animal inside him rear and twist. It was clearly a much moved animal.

Was he grieving for himself, for his own childhood pain? Was he grieving because he knows a child’s pain can be absolute? Or did he grieve the very existence of pain? Which is to say, did he grieve his own death, as he always did?

Pain was loneliness, which meant also fear.

He walked upstairs and pissed and then entered the room where the boy lay. He had to uncover his red, squashed face. He lay down with an arm wound up twisting his shoulder and the other arm gathered the boy’s body. The boy reached out, his fingers plucking. How slight his arms are, the father thought, how alien he still is. He remembered him in his very first days, white and wise and aged, pointing one witnessing finger to the world and puckering a suspicious mouth. Eyes beady extraterrestrial gray, intelligent. He stroked the boy’s head.

He inhaled. The small mammal smell he knew he would find, like a dog, hair like fur. He felt full.

He knew the boy was happy. He remembered himself forgiven by his grandfather or mother, overcome with relief that the world’s pillars still held. He knew the boy felt that now.

Their relationship was close. He had no closer relationship. Perhaps neither of them did.

He did not speak. His heart was swollen and his throat trembled. This is just love, he thought, not grief but love. Lovingkindness. It might count for nothing at all, no more than neurological squelching. Or it might be the force the universe is born from. Which one it is I don’t know, he thought. I will never know.

He thought, love is knowledge of somebody else’s loneliness. Love is sheer horror.

He kissed the boy and went to check the girl. She wanted water. He kissed her chin and then he came downstairs. He kissed the dog. Then he rolled a cigarette and began typing at the computer.

http://qunfuz.com/2010/02/02/this-evening/

Thank God for cell-phones -- just after I'd read the story and had 2 cups of strong coffee, he called me from the school bus and I fervently apologized, told him I love him. He, being the Son from Heaven, generously forgave me.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News