The "show off your Avatar" thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The "show off your Avatar" thread

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am

Project Willow wrote:
And that's why, Crikkett, as much as I am sorry the image causes you discomfort, I can't agree with censoring it, as I believe in the long run that kind of censorship helps maintain a system that fosters abuse.

asking me to censor...you should talk :roll:

millions of lives = one clit

as I believe in the long run that kind of censorship helps maintain a system that fosters ignorance
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby crikkett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 am

For the record, since I have taken matters into my own hands and stopped visiting RI on strange machines or in public settings I have no quarrel with anyone's avatar. I wish you all were more socially acceptable but you're not.

SLAD has a point, doesn't she? That Willow pleaded with SLAD to back off of discussion regarding genocide but wouldn't be so gracious, herself, says something about her personality.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Simulist » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm probably going to regret this... bu-u-u-t... ;)

I'm honestly failing to grasp what might be offensive about a drawing of a clitoris. Especially that drawing. Actually, "drawing" isn't quite right — it's artwork. Now, if it were an actual photograph of somebody's nether regions, I could understand better. But this? What's so offensive about that?
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 pm

seemslikeadream wrote:
Project Willow wrote:
And that's why, Crikkett, as much as I am sorry the image causes you discomfort, I can't agree with censoring it, as I believe in the long run that kind of censorship helps maintain a system that fosters abuse.

as I believe in the long run that kind of censorship helps maintain a system that fosters ignorance

I'm very sorry you remain so confused and upset about that exchange and my views. I have nothing personal against you and I never have in all these many years. You are welcome to contact me via pm, anytime.

On edit: Just for the record, if you had kept reading you would have seen I did actually change my avatar until Crikkett and I came to an understanding and she was OK with it. No double standard there.
Last edited by Project Willow on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Perelandra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Sim, that's a mystery which Willow already attempted to plumb, IIRC.

crikkett wrote:SLAD has a point, doesn't she? That Willow pleaded with SLAD to back off of discussion regarding genocide but wouldn't be so gracious, herself, says something about her personality.
I don't believe Willow did any such thing and your conclusion seems to be a personal attack.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm

crikkett wrote:For the record, since I have taken matters into my own hands and stopped visiting RI on strange machines or in public settings I have no quarrel with anyone's avatar.

If crikkett has come to terms with Willow's avatar, then that issue should be considered closed.

Can we move on, please?
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Ok, let me get this straight, you're taking something Willow wrote a month & a half ago & rehashing it? Am I missing something? I mean, I can't read all the threads that happen on here, because I tend to be a little busy, but what the heck is going on that you & crikket are all of a sudden mad at willow? If I recall from earlier, I thought crikket & willow settled this thing?

Can someone please clarify? :shrug:

seemslikeadream wrote:
Project Willow wrote:

~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby crikkett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

This was my first mention of Willow in this thread, on page 16.
FWIW I changed my avatar back to the pensive surfer after talking to Jack and deciding that I should avert my eyes for a while longer, in support of Willow's art project. I forgot to delete my comment to this thread.

Willow and I settled the thing that wasn't a problem between us to begin with. She was never asked to change her avatar for my sake. Note my overt statement of support.

After Willow declared no intention of censoring herself, which she wasn't asked to do anyway, along with my response to her (still on p 16) I created a signature file that linked to my blog post teaching people how to hide undesirable avatars. It was then that Willow changed her avatar and invited private discussion.

Not once did I ask Willow to change her avatar, it was a nice gesture on her part. We did have an private exchange and the result was peaceful and we were both as gracious as we could be. When we were finished I removed my signature file.

SLAD is still sore with Willow about something that happened between them. I am not confident that I know all the ins and outs of it but it looks like Willow's trying to bridge divides.

If anyone wants to hear more or kick my ass for being an intolerant prude or whatever please PM me.
crikkett

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:19 am

Morgan's new avatar looks like he's sitting on a dunny having a flog.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby psynapz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

crikkett wrote:I hope that nothing's wrong with psynapz and that he's okay.

Nothing that a zoomed-in and desaturated photo of a g-spot can't cure. :thumbsup

For the record, crikkett and I are all good here. I'm just on ignore apparently. :shrug:
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby Nordic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:01 am

I have a new one. It's a photo I took on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, of the window display in the Old Navy store. I lined it up so the flourescent tubes come radiating out of the mannequins' head.

I just like it because she looks SO INSANELY HAPPY. Because she's a mannequin representing pure consumerism. I don't know, but to me it's funny. Your mileage may vary.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Elvis » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:01 pm

^^^^ I was wondering what the hell that was! I thought the face was some kind of computer-generated image. Brilliant shot. That's a bizarre mannequin. Well...all mannequins are a little bizarre. For awhile now I've been considering a certain mannequin head photo for my next avatar.

(I don't like how the word "avatar" has been diluted with this Internet usage.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby compared2what? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm

crikkett wrote:For the record, since I have taken matters into my own hands and stopped visiting RI on strange machines or in public settings I have no quarrel with anyone's avatar. I wish you all were more socially acceptable but you're not.

SLAD has a point, doesn't she? That Willow pleaded with SLAD to back off of discussion regarding genocide but wouldn't be so gracious, herself, says something about her personality.

LOl @ your avatar.

In the event that you grow weary of it, fwiw, this is my favorite Red-Guard-executing-an-enemy-of-the-Cultural-Revolution piece of propagandistic art:

He's formally a landlord, not an intellectual. But, you know. There's no reason why he couldn't be both.
compared2what?

Postby crikkett » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:19 pm

^^It just so happens that I adore my landlord.
crikkett

Postby Hammer of Los » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:53 am

I love peregrine's avatar.

And, er everyone else's.

But I still haven't got around to adding my third spidey eye.

I'm no good with dtp graphics.

But I have been doing some work with pen and pencils.

I could make of myself a new Avatar.

I see perpetual change.

Hammer of Los

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News