Making A Scene - Favorite Film Clips

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Making A Scene - Favorite Film Clips

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Belligerent Savant wrote:.
Wait -- no credit to me for posting 2 other clips from this movie in the last couple pages?

:wink:

Ha! Sorry, Savant, I had no idea! I've not been following the thread. But I'm always delighted to hear of anybody else who saw and liked this gem of a film. I watched it when it first came out, and I remember at least half the audience (including me) were in tears at the end. That final scene is so unexpected and so beautifully understated. I really wish Campbell Scott and Stanley Tucci would direct another film. Brilliant performances from both of them too, and from Tony Shaloub and all the others. The film, like the food in it, is a real labour of love.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:
Belligerent Savant wrote:.
Wait -- no credit to me for posting 2 other clips from this movie in the last couple pages?

:wink:

Ha! Sorry, Savant, I had no idea! I've not been following the thread. But I'm always delighted to hear of anybody else who saw and liked this gem of a film. I watched it when it first came out, and I remember at least half the audience (including me) were in tears at the end. That final scene is so unexpected and so beautifully understated. I really wish Campbell Scott and Stanley Tucci would direct another film. Brilliant performances from both of them too, and from Tony Shaloub and all the others. The film, like the food in it, is a real labour of love.

Indeed. Very well done. Tucci and Scott were both also in The Imposters, written/directed by Tucci, though it wasn't quite on par with Big Night -- though Imposters is more of a comedy and not quite the same genre [incidentally, Campbell Scott and Stan Tucci were high school buddies at John Jay high school in Katonah, NY]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impostors
Belligerent Savant

Postby justdrew » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 am

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Jeff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:02 am

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby barracuda » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:30 am

TRIGGER WARNING on this one...

Stranger: I have some of the powder of fear.

Violette (narrating): Suddenly, everything was normal again. faces, objects, gestures... at least, in semblance. As if eden and its patrons tried to appear reassuring. from then on, all is a bit blurred.

More trigger warning, monarch imagery...

Also...

The two below don't seem to wish to play in the embed:

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Laodicean » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Jeff » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:33 am

I've been trying various methods, some of 'em not wise, to rip the scene I want from Channel 4's Online TV service. It has proved impossible. So all I can do now is post a link to an episode of the excellent series G.B.H., which I have recommended here before, and give the time that the chosen scene starts.

Nobody will believe me, but believe me, it is worth the rigmarole of clicking three times, or even four.

Go to this link, http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gbh/4od#2922180, confirm that you are an adult (yeah, yeah, but no, nothing like that), then fast-forward/click forward until : 01:07:10

If you click a bit earlier than that you might catch a glimpse of Michael Palin weeping in a shed with no clothes on (but he's all covered up). Nothing I can do about that. Don't let it bother you. Watch for about ten minutes after the given time.

Nobody'll do this, of course (I wouldn't) but it is actually worth it. IMO.

"I want you to sit down, while I explain some political facts of life to you."
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Jeff » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:Nobody'll do this, of course (I wouldn't) but it is actually worth it. IMO.

Oh, I tried. But I received the message that the service isn't available in my area. Which is a true shame, since I love GBH, though I haven't seen it in I suppose 20 years. CBC broadcast here, back when CBC was worth something. And truly, it's one of the most memorable and significant viewing experiences I've ever had. (Especially since at the time I, like Palin's character, was suffering from gephyrophobia.)

It's chopped up on youtube, though no assurance it's complete. And the only other clip I can find:

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:00 pm

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Jeff wrote:Oh, I tried. But I received the message that the service isn't available in my area.

Funnily enough, I can't see the video you posted either - Channel 4 has "blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". I remember it though. The whole show used to be on Youtube, barring the fifth episode, but a new boxset of DVDs came out a few years back and they aggressively removed most of them to "promote sales". Self-defeating, I reckon, though I don't grudge Bleasdale and the actors the money for their work. I would buy the boxset if I could find a shop that sold it. I've still got the whole show on an old hard-drive someplace anyway, might grab the scene from there and upload it. At least I know now that 4OD (and probably radio4) doesn't work over there, so if I want to post something from those places I'll need to upload it myself.

Jeff wrote: Which is a true shame, since I love GBH, though I haven't seen it in I suppose 20 years. CBC broadcast here, back when CBC was worth something. And truly, it's one of the most memorable and significant viewing experiences I've ever had. (Especially since at the time I, like Palin's character, was suffering from gephyrophobia.)

Jesus, it is twenty years. When I first saw it I must've been twelve or thereabouts. Didn't understand it all at the time, of course, but it sticks in the head, and calls for revisitting, and is worth revisitting.

I've never had a fear of bridges, but always been, let's say, sceptical about cities in general - unconvinced of their viability and structural integrity. I used to look at blocks of flats and just go - "Nah, that won't work." Now I live in one, and it turns out I was right. Jim Nelson is a great character. The nightly foot-washing in case he died in his sleep hit close to home, I've known a few folk with OCD.

Um, sorry, won't get in the way of more scenes being posted for much longer. Will just say that the scene you can't see was the one where the two MI5 agents, posing as militant Trots, and the old genuine Trot who is a clueless windbag, tell the councillor Michael Murray that they intend to provoke a strategic race riot in his city for their own political purposes. Corrupt and weak as he is, Murray resists this idea - "My city? Blown up?" - till the lead MI5 agent asks: "What does the name Eileen Critchley mean to you?"

Murray is inexplicably stricken by this question, basically has a nervous breakdown on the spot, and capitulates immediately to their plans.

"How... how did you know?"

"I don't know. I was just told that the mere mention of her name would stop you in your tracks. And it did."

"Who told you?"

"Someone at the very top of the Labour party. Now... I want you to sit down while I explain some political facts of life to you. You've applied for two safe Labour seats in the last three years. Did you ever wonder why you weren't selected?"

Of course, the lead Trot did not get the information from someone at the top of the Labour party - he's MI5. And Eileen Critchley was a child.

Love the scenes where the MI5 street-agitator/thug drops his Liverpool accent in private and starts talking in cut-glass Oxbridge tones as well. The message is serious, but the effect is hilarious, especially 'cos I'd seen him in tons of other dramas.

Better post a scene while I'm here:

Might've been posted before, but still pretty good.

"Monarchy is ritual... Monarchy is magical."

"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Christmas 1944: Giovanni Mauriello as one of several Italian POWs working on a farm in Aberdeenshire during WWII; Phyllis Logan as the farmer's wife stuck in a loveless marriage.

ATAP is a sadly neglected film (Dir: Michael Radford, 1984), and I love this whole scene. Joy in the midst of bleakness.

This song is "Quanno nascette Ninno" (When the Baby was born), the original version of the modern Christmas song "Tu scendi dalle stelle" (You came from the stars). It was written by Saint Allfonso de' Liguori in the XVIth century in Neapolitan dialect. It's very very rare and Mauriello is a master with this kind of song. The dance is a "tammurriata" which means a background of drums (tammorre) and the voice(s) can improvise or follow a precise text. Thanks for publishing this!
tuzzulello vor 3 Monaten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyoKfBSDQaI
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Jeff » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:56 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if I posted this a couple of dozen pages ago. But even so, it belongs here twice.

The ones who vote for the right, because they're fed up with strikes. Oh, yeah.
Jeff
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie