Making A Scene - Favorite Film Clips

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Making A Scene - Favorite Film Clips

Postby Cordelia » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 pm

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby KUAN » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm

High Noon, in which the white girl wins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zbo7dqPKc
KUAN

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:17 pm

My son turned me on to Basquiat and enjoyed, well, appreciated watching it, but I didn't see either of the other two movies, Cordelia. What's the title of the Pacino flick?
I'm looking forward to watching Cadillac Records.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:17 pm

^^^
It's from the HBO miniseries adaptation of the play 'Angels in America'. It takes place in NYC in the mid-80's at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and centers around several people coming to terms with one another, illness, marriage, sexuality, family, religion, love, loyalty, abandonment, ancestry, death; I'm not sure what life circumstances aren't addressed (children, maybe, animals). Several of the actors have 2 or more roles. Al Pacino's Roy Cohn is haunted by Ethel Rosenberg's ghost. I found Mary-Louise Parker's character esp. poignant & wryly humorous.The film includes several metaphysical/surreal/dream sequences (some that are lost on me so I confess watch them at faster speed). Recommended viewing imho. :thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kPnCGE1Sgg

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby chump » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:39 pm

chump

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:23 am

Thanks for the information, Cordelia. I'll be sure to watch it when I can.

Chump, thanks for sharing the Easy Rider clip with us. That scene really made me feel anxious! Easy Rider was the first movie that really shocked me and left me traumatized enough to never wander below the Mason DIxon line. To his day I've never been further south than Ft. Belvoir. I've only watched the film once, when it first ran in theaters. I should watch it once again before I leave this world.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:43 am

This has probably been posted, but is always priceless:

“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:30 pm

Clip from Susanne Bier's 'After the Wedding', about the schemes of a beloved, benevolent billionaire, as portrayed by Rolf Lassgård.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAKMDlqa0TE

Cordelia

Postby Laodicean » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Cordelia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Cordelia

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Belligerent Savant

Postby chump » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:54 pm

"Would that it were so simple..."

How 'bout:

"I wish this situation was so simple, sis"

And then she slaps him and he slips off the sofa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone:_The_Movie
You're about to meet an angry man: Mr. William Connor, who carries on his shoulder a chip the size of the national debt. This is a sour man, a lonely man, who's tired of waiting for the breaks that come to others, but never to him. Mr. William Connor, whose own blind hatred is about to catapult him into the darkest corner of the Twilight Zone.

I recently turned on the TV to where the rascist Bill Connor is about to be hanged by the KKK... Maybe you've seen this (somewhat upsetting, mainstream) scene from the very last movie Vic Morrow ever made. He and the two child actors in his arms were later decapitated by a helicopter crashing while shooting another shot in the Twilight Zone.

https://youtu.be/T5tItxKucwQ
Twilight Zone bar scene

... Upset Bill (Vic Morrow) at the bar with friends. Didn't get his job promotion...

In The Twilght Zone Movie, Vic Morrow plays an angry white male belligerantly ranting in a nearby bar, but when he steps out the door onto the street, he surrealistically discovers he's a juden in Germany during the Nazi regime.

I remember Vic Morrow in black and white as " ... Sergeant "Chip" Saunders in ABC's Combat!"; but remember him most for his poignant portrayal of a prison perp.

Glass House 1972
Published on Nov 24, 2014

Full Film, Full Movie. Prison film that was made for USA TV, with outstanding performances from Vic Morrow, Alan Alda, Kristoffer Tabori and Clu Gulager. Three individuals - a new guard, a professor convicted of manslaughter and a young man convicted of dealing weed, arrive for the first time at a violent maximum security prison. At the prison they encounter the ruthlessness of the other hardened inmates and the corrupted guards.

I should also note that Tracy Keenan Wynn wrote the screenplay, based on a story by Truman Capote and Wyatt Cooper; and that the film was shot in the Utah State prison in Salt Lake City.

"Your joints exploding right now! And you know what?? You don’t even know why!"

"There are panels, Cortland. Panels and boards. And we have to answer to them, and to the Senators, and the human rights groups, and the left wingers, and right wingers, death penalty, no death penalty, kill the prisoners, let them go free. Sorry, no more money. I’m not in love with this system, but it’s all we got - and it’s better than having no system at all!"
chump

Postby Laodicean » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 pm

A few years ago Allegro( :hug1:) posted a couple of clips from 'Splendor In The Grass', but they've been taken down. Natalie Wood gave an outstanding performance and should have gotten the Oscar, for which she was nominated'. It's a beautiful & poignant film, one that holds up well, imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbd8uOsbBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WCXyWMbOw

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie