top ten films off the top of your head

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: top ten films off the top of your head

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:

Well I've started sending it around. Watch it go... ugh, I just can't say that word.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks Jack! Let's face it, it's never going to overtake "Ultimate Dog Tease" - one of the few viral videos that's any good, despite the deeply unnerving title given the nature of the internet - but every little helps.

All I'm saying is that comedy is serious business. It's not a new idea. I wouldn't want anybody to get the impression that I'm some kind of warped sadistic chucklefuck...

Pierre d'Achoppement wrote:Ahab, you'll be pleased to know that the man is very much in pain

... Ach, c'mon!

Pierre, They Might Be Giants sounds great, though - I already like the band of the same name, and I will watch it. You're right about gag-reel films like the Naked Guns, etc. ... there's no way they would ever portray prolonged human pain or humiliation as humorous.

:lol:
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 am

Been re-reading one of my favourite books recently, and stumbled on this great bit (quoting from memory):

"Happiness is the relief of pain, they say, so I guess deep down I'm a pretty happy guy. I get a lot of relief from pain. I get it all the time. I get a lot pain, and a lot of relief from it, and so I get all this happiness."

When painful facts (or threats of pain) are made funny we can feel relief in laughing at them, relief because we're not actually feeling pain at that exact moment, and therefore we get happiness. All this happiness.

Also, Robocop's a really good film.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News