Rush Fans? I mean, the real Rush fans -- Our thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Rush Fans? I mean, the real Rush fans -- Our thread

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:30 am

Let me get this out of the way. FUCK LIMBAUGH. This shit is about Rush, the real Rush. Share your shit about the band, what they meant to you, what they mean to you, why you hate them and why the fuck did 82_28 miss the fucking Time Machine Tour last year? Oh yeah, I was broke. But look at this. It literally made me start to kinda cry. Fuck, I love Rush! Apparently they may be extending this tour into 2011.

Please share memories, thoughts, out and out hatred, you name it. Put it here! I once had a Rush book back in the early 90's and studied that shit like a motherfucker. I once saw Neil Peart playing Super Mario Brothers in his tour bus. Add fave songs too. I've just spent the last two hours listening to Rush songs and I literally cannot pick out any kind of a favorite to put here. There is no best Rush song.

This, my friends is THE RUSH THREAD!!!!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Rush Fans? I mean, the real Rush fans -- Our thread

Postby Jeff » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:19 pm

My first concert was Rush, 1976, in Hamilton. (Triumph - or was it Goddo? - and Max Webster opening.)

All the World's a Stage was the last Rush album I bought, so it's been a while since I'd describe myself as a fan. But you could say I still like them, as a friend.

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby norton ash » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Very similar to Jeff. They were my first rock show as well, with Max Webster. Rush loomed large in Canadian boy life in the 70's with their tireless touring, and all my musician and metalhead friends doing reverent bong hits with me before we'd settle into 2112.

"listen, listen.... HERE."

"Whoa."

Then I'd go home and listen to Springsteen or the Stones, which is what moved ME most. I still have deep affection for Rush, and I've never put them down, even when I was a sophisticado political punk.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby semper occultus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:35 pm

bit of a phase with me..although Peart was about the best drummer I saw live -( Hammersmith Odeon - where else ) possibly only equalled by Barriemore Barlow of Jethro Tull strangely enough...

semper occultus

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Can't have a Rush thread without reference to this:

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Jeff » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:51 pm

And Geddy and Alex are a couple of good, approachable guys. Or have done a good job of appearing so.

Don't know about Neil, though....
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Well, Neil did write all the lyrics.

He wrote this book after he suddenly lost both daughter and wife in the same year not too long ago and decided to on an epic motorcycle ride. I've never read it, but want to eventually.

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-Trave ... 1550225480

Review
"Peart’s story reminded me of Theodore Roosevelt’s travel West to overcome the sorrow of losing his wife and mother..." -- Mike Fink, CNN Headline News
Product Description
In less than a year, Neil Peart lost both his 19-year-old daughter, Selena, and his wife, Jackie. Faced with overwhelming sadness and isolated from the world in his home on the lake, Peart was left without direction. This memoir tells of the sense of loss and directionlessness that led him on a 55,000-mile journey by motorcycle across much of North America, down through Mexico to Belize, and back again. He had needed to get away, but had not really needed a destination. His travel adventures chronicle his personal odyssey and include stories of reuniting with friends and family, grieving, thinking, and reminiscing as he rode until he encountered the miracle that allowed him to find peace.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Whoa. New movie about Rush I didn't ever hear of.

82_28

Postby streeb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Don't know about Neil, though....

Heh, well, he's just not. In the very entertaining RUSH doc that 82_28 mentions, he patiently explains himself. You can't hold it against him for being a little different, or in this case for feeling that fan encounters are trivial and a little embarrassing. He appears to be the rigidly logical, self-possessed, stubborn type. And really, fair enough. It's what he is. I think it's apparent in the way he plays.

The band was quite involved in the production, so who knows how accurate it is, but that movie changed my mind about Rush. It's pretty charming. Although I could have used a bit more on the rumoured cross-dressing parties.
streeb

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Anybody catch this a couple of years ago on Colbert? Rush was made to play Tom Sawyer on RockBand, the video game. They scored 31%.

82_28

Postby streeb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 pm

There is also actual footage in Beyond the Lighted Stage of a teenage Alex Lifeson breaking it to his horrified family that he intends to be a musician. It's amazing!!! It comes from a 1973 Allan King documentary called Come On Children that young Alex Zivojinovich happened to be involved with.
streeb

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:48 pm

82_28

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:03 am

:trippin:
"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:34 am

streeb wrote:There is also actual footage in Beyond the Lighted Stage of a teenage Alex Lifeson breaking it to his horrified family that he intends to be a musician. It's amazing!!! It comes from a 1973 Allan King documentary called Come On Children that young Alex Zivojinovich happened to be involved with.

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:45 am

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News