Google Ngram Viewer...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Google Ngram Viewer...

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Oops, penis-vagina was still set to German, but those are words in that language too. (Latin!)

Okay one more round for the day...

(Would be more useful to see the frequency of the terms "association" and "network" as used in the social-science sense.)

(German - where 1940 often seems to be interesting)

These terms are not precise (and nuclear can also refer to weapons) but...

Interesting rise in all of them around 1980.

Hippies and Rappers had the most dramatic explosions...

I tried to throw in "mods" but that one explodes to a level above all of them after 2000, for reasons that have nothing to do with discrete, easily identified youth subcultures in music, fashion and street lifestyle.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jingofever » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:32 pm

jingofever

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm

jingo, that last one on "problems" is spectacular! Just seeing that series of different peaks since the 1960s is, well, a history. Also, a hystery.

The 1950s were apparently the most problem-free time, but check this out:

There was a time when there were more solutions than problems!?

Paradigms.

Sexes.

World Models

Disease

But let's end happy:

Last edited by JackRiddler on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:22 pm

Also, don't ask me how but I am currently better known than Julian Assange, though I can't touch Jeff.

JackRiddler

Postby eyeno » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 am

On the flatline question again. I understand that one word will have a higher frequency than another but something weird is happening. Maybe my browser. I can put in two words individually and get a nice graph for each. Sometimes when I combine them I get a graph for one and a totally flat line for the other. No humps at all. No frequency. It does not do this on all word pairs but it does on quite a few. Individually they each have a graph, together one will completely flatline. Frustrating.
eyeno

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:05 pm

this is coolness. thanks
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 pm

So, I tried "larynx" vs "voice box" and larynx completely destroys voice box to the point of not being able to see voice box on the graph. However, I've always known and referred to the larynx as the "voice box" -- the place where our voices come from.

What then was the place our voices emanate from referred to as before "voice box"? I was watching something on TV just now where they were talking about the voice box. It suddenly dawned on me what a "steam punk" term it seemed. A box in your neck which emits voice. Why a box? There had to be some other colloquial term, no?

I would imagine that before the term voice box and even before the latin larynx came about, the voice may have been thought of in a more mystical way as opposed to a physical apparatus. I can't find really anything about it so far. Any ideas at least as far as search terms? Throat? I dunno. . .

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm

eyeno wrote:On the flatline question again. I understand that one word will have a higher frequency than another but something weird is happening. Maybe my browser. I can put in two words individually and get a nice graph for each. Sometimes when I combine them I get a graph for one and a totally flat line for the other. No humps at all. No frequency. It does not do this on all word pairs but it does on quite a few. Individually they each have a graph, together one will completely flatline. Frustrating.

On the individual word graphs, check the "%" scale on the left; it changes according to the volume of occurrences. So, when paired with a word with much higher occurrence, the line for the more scarce word can drop way down, even to a flat line, on the greater scale.

(I think I have that right, based on my sketchy understanding of it.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 pm

/

WARNING!

In the display, when you load these pages, you often see flatlines for words that definitely are not flatlines. If it looks suspicious, reload image, or better yet, open image (that definitely works) and then go back, it will then display.

JackRiddler

Postby Feilan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 pm

huh. :blankstare
Many people will sleep for a hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back. ~ Louis David Riel
Feilan

Postby Feilan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 pm

more huh. :blankstare

all i did was change the timeline ... first timeline was left over from a rather unproductive and unreflective search pitting 'Stephen Harper' against 'giving a shit about this country and life on earth in general' ... something was flat-line and i don't have to tell you what, but i wasn't playing properly anyway. into my head waltzed the words heaven and earth ...
Many people will sleep for a hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back. ~ Louis David Riel
Feilan

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm

I find it interesting that the pair of you used 'heaven vs earth' rather than 'heaven v. hell' - :)
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Feilan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:I find it interesting that the pair of you used 'heaven vs earth' rather than 'heaven v. hell' - :)

HUH! That IS interesting - I mean - the word 'hell' didn't pop into my head at all - I distinctly remember it (only last night) when the mister and I were playing with the Ngram thingy.

That might tell me something interesting about my own noodle, eh? I should lie on the floor and think about that... it's **too darn hot** to do anything else right now... :eeyaa

:tongout
Feilan

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Oh it is REALLY hot, isn't it?! Wacky storm passed thru a few hours ago, too - swirling clouds, fork lightning.. pretty dramatic! (I love storms, but sometimes they come >this close< to seeming like they might morph into a tornado.. :panic: The Big City must be sweltering... we've got a breeze here and less concrete I guess for it to sink in to and radiate off of.

-- when I said 'the pair of you' above I was mistakenly believing that two different RIers had looked up heaven and earth, but I see now that it was only you :oops: -- still interesting though!

Canadian_watcher

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Such a wonderful thread, but now you have to reload every image individually to see it. Damn.

Now this maniac went and tried every date in the year to produce this:

JackRiddler

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News