What are you currently installing/playing?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What are you currently installing/playing?

Postby 82_28 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 am

So did they "learn" the cell arch doesn't work or that it does, and it was all a "test"? That tech ain't going nowhere and billions were made on that overpriced machine. I've got two machines with CELL processors in front of me that I have spent around $5000 on in the last few years including the units and games. Shit's kaput?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 am

Time for a class action.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby justdrew » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 am

82_28 wrote:So did they "learn" the cell arch doesn't work or that it does, and it was all a "test"? That tech ain't going nowhere and billions were made on that overpriced machine. I've got two machines with CELL processors in front of me that I have spent around $5000 on in the last few years including the units and games. Shit's kaput?

it's still got some life in it, but not as a game platform. It's just got a much smaller ecosystem behind it, and honestly, I'd guess a dim future. AMD/nvidia's stuff will probably out compete the cell architecture in the few areas (scientific/high-end "media" servers) it's got potential in. It's notoriously difficult to develop games for, probably it'll be easier to code for multiple console platforms with it gone. How exactly people gain access to the old games to stream on new PS4s I don't know, possibly it might require putting the old disks in? Or maybe the whole back catalog is free? That seems unlikely but possible.

but I just can't recommend stay in the the console games, a good general purpose computer is always going to be preferable to me. That said, the capabilities of this PS4 are the most interesting I've seen from a console.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:33 pm

The difficulties in developing for the Cell was their main reason for ditching it. They wanted something that was easy to develop for, so they went with off the shelf computer parts.

I'm still not convinced about the whole streaming business. Latency and bandwidth are huge bottlenecks, and pretty much makes any twitch based game unplayable.
For live-streaming your own game play it's probably perfectly passable, since latency isn't an issue, but other than that, I don't really see it taking off. Just ask OnLive :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby justdrew » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 pm

DrEvil wrote:The difficulties in developing for the Cell was their main reason for ditching it. They wanted something that was easy to develop for, so they went with off the shelf computer parts.

I'm still not convinced about the whole streaming business. Latency and bandwidth are huge bottlenecks, and pretty much makes any twitch based game unplayable.
For live-streaming your own game play it's probably perfectly passable, since latency isn't an issue, but other than that, I don't really see it taking off. Just ask OnLive :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

OnLive does require a better internet connection than a lot of americans have. but it can work well. I would think the new Cell-based server hardware will probably be able to host and stream out the PS3 games fairly well, for people with a good internet connection.

my beef is the resolution. onlive seems to be 720p (that some say looks like 480). I'm spoiled with a vertical resolution of 1200 :thumbsup
justdrew

Postby DrEvil » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of cloud gaming. I just don't think the necessary infrastructure is in place to make it good enough yet. Even if they can squeeze the latency down to, say, 100ms, it's going to suck compared to running the game on your own hardware. Personally I find playing fps games with a latency higher than 50-60ms not fun, optimally I want it no higher than 30ms. The lag just becomes too noticeable, and it degrades the experience.

Just an example from personal experience: I LOVE wipeout HD on the PS3. One of the very few games that actually run at 60fps in full HD. I bought a funky recording device so I could make some game play videos, and just passing the signal through that box messed up my game play. The latency it introduced was so small that I couldn't tell the difference visually, but suddenly my timing and cornering was atrocious.

That said, some cloud features are very nice. Take Steam for instance. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I buy most of my games from them. Recently I installed it on a new PC, started it up, let it sync for 5 seconds, and voila! All my settings and custom labels from my previous install was there, and I didn't have to lift a finger.

Anyway - my point: I think cloud gaming today is like a Microsoft tablet from 2001. It kinda works, but it's about 10 years ahead of its time.
DrEvil

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:55 am

Good people, sensible people, the very decent type of chaps (like us) who cut their teeth and honed their skills in Operation Flashpoint back in the day, will recognise much and be amused therefore upon watching this non-embeddable video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9LLa7xixR8
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby coffin_dodger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:52 am

Started gaming 32 years ago and haven't stopped yet. Got a C64 from the states (I'm in UK) with a massive power converter twice the size the C64 -and a floppy drive too, which was ultra rare in the UK at that time. Jumpman sucked in hundreds of hours of my time. Elite and Bruce Lee too. Amiga next - but quickly moved on to a 286 PC with 2 meg ram and 40 meg hard drive. Wing Commander 2 ran slow but was worth it. Stayed with PC's ever since. Fallout 3 was the first truly immersive game I played - sucked over a thousand hours from me. Fallout NV next - and in between, the light relief of Borderlands. Borderlands is a lovely bit of software - those guys at 2K know how to write code without bottlenecks.

Currently just romped through Borderlands 2 and Settlers 7. Funnily enough, I rarely play online against other humans - although I did go through a phase about 10 years ago of joining a clan whilst playing Medal of Honor and Wolfenstein Enemy Terriotory (perhaps the greatest online multiplayer ever created, imo).

Now, I prefer going in to the worlds that these artists create without having to bother with other humans. I have enough trouble with dealing with other people in the real world, the game is an escape for me.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm

coffin_dodger wrote: Fallout NV next

Who did you side with, just out of interest?

Or did you go lone-wolf and conquer the Mojave as a one-man army?

I don't like most newer games (post 2003 or thereabouts) but at least New Vegas had some decent (albeit pulpy) writing and characters in it. Unlike Fallout 3. I mean, it was an enjoyable game, but I reckon they got George Lucas in for the story and dialogues.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Sorry to take so long to reply Ahab, I rarely check the lounge!

I usually tend to be on the side of the goodies, but in FNV I added over 100+ mods to the game and one of them allowed me to start the game with two bandit companions but bad karma with almost every faction. I then spent the rest of the game trying to amend for sins. Have you modded your version of FNV? - I tell you, it completely reinvigorates/reinvents the game - there are literally thousands of mods available - and they've been made so much easier to intall recently. The best place is here - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/ - install the mod manager and away ye go! I'm probably telling you something you already know.

I loved Fallout3 - but then I'm a sucker for open worlds and non-linear play. Cheers.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm

coffin_dodger wrote:Have you modded your version of FNV? - I tell you, it completely reinvigorates/reinvents the game

I modded fallout 3 a lot 'cos it needed it more to make it enjoyable. With New Vegas I just added some graphics improvements and removed the invisible walls from around the Mojave. To be honest I didn't play it all that long though, only wiped out a few Powder Gangers, raided a single vault (full of plant mutants), and had a walk around Vegas and the dam. Can't remember why I stopped really. Possibly due to Cazadors. :grumpy

The outlaw path you went on sounds pretty interesting though.[/quote]
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

although I haven't played wither Bioshock, I've had little choice but to come to know somethings about it. Anyway, I found this article about the new version to sum up my sense of it from looking at some trailers and gameplay videos... Good read here...

http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bioshock-infinite-now-is-best-time.html
justdrew

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 pm

justdrew

Postby ShinShinKid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes, I just wasted a few hours of my life trying to figure things out. I got a whole 5% into my time stream...

[url]interdimensionalgames.com[/url]
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby DrEvil » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:27 pm

DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News