So why'd you choose your username, anyway?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: So why'd you choose your username, anyway?

Postby Gnomad » Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:
Gnomad wrote:Mine is a combination of "gnostic" and "nomad".

I genuinely thought there was an angry gnome thing in there somewhere as well.

Now that you mention it, yes. Gnomes are awesome.
And I can be a wee bit angryish at times. Makes one stiff...

Always wondered what a hill-sho-ist is, too :)

Ive been busy working for a change, guess Ill get to rest the next winter... :hrumph
Last one felt like it would never end, now the trees have leaves that are getting bigger every day..
la nuit de tous approche
Gnomad

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Feilan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Feilan is pinyin for two characters in my Chinese name - my full name is Mai Fei Lan: 麦菲兰。 Chinese names are traditionally three characters. The first is your family name and the other two are your given names. I have since learned that the idea of two given names was temporarily abandoned during the cultural revolution. A Chinese person with a two character name was very likely born during that time when it was declared counter revolutionary to be so bourgeois-self indulgent as to carry two given names ... Whether passionate party members were in the habit of discarding one of their names, I don't know, but it's an interesting question. Anyway --

You could say, it is also my 'username' IRL when I speak and write in Chinese. The wisdom is that you are developing a new identity, a distinctly new expression of yourself in a new language, influenced by that language, so you take a new name that reflects that intention ...

If I may digress somewhat, and only because Chinese students with English names had so much influence on my decisions leading to my Chinese name: these days and for some time now, a huge proportion of International students in English speaking countries are coming from China and they bring English names with them.

Even when given in pinyin, their Chinese names suffer horrendous mutilation on the tongues of their ESL teachers for obvious reasons, but that's not why they choose English names. They do it for the same reason I took a Chinese name. Some choose their own, or else a teacher in their public school past gave them one. Some, after a few weeks or months abroad, get a sense of some western associations with a name they chose in China, like Cherry, and spend some agonizing weeks desperate to discard it and find a new one.

The names they choose for themselves run a wild and captivating spectrum, from perfectly ordinary English names to things like 'Sponge' - Sponge is a girl who just loves the sound of the word 'sponge'. She knows what it means and of course that lends it yet another layer of association for her - as in 'language sponge'! Other students I've met have invented an English name by transliterating their Chinese name into an English form and sound. The spellings they come up with are interesting. This strategy follows the transliteration/transposing used for importing any foreign word or name for use in Chinese. A couple of examples are "xing bo ke" = 'starbucks', or "mai dang lao" = 'Macdonald's' ...

I had long been considering the advice to take up a second language in order to improve oneself as a language teacher, and not because you plan to use that language in the classroom, although you could if your students all share that language. The primary idea is that you will personally experience the enormity of the challenge your students have taken on. It is, along with other things, an intensely emotional struggle that requires you to set aside the you that communicates with others in your first laguage. On what often feels like a very lonely road, you start all over again. I couldn't decide which language until I experienced Chinese in China and something clicked inside me. I think, if I was a duckling, we might call that 'imprinting' ... anyway, I was incredibly blessed to find myself with quite a few very solid human connections on that trip, which can only be classified as family at this point.

Anywhere you go in China where wai guo ren (foreigners) are apt to be found wandering about in tourist mode, you will find a man sitting at a folding table on a sidewalk who will give you your Chinese name and carve the characters into a name stamp for about 10 yuan ... (buck-fifty) ... David = Da wei ... Susan = Su shan ... Helen = Hai lun ... you get the idea. I'm not keen on the sound of my transliterated name which is to say I couldn't identify with it as my name. Also, I wanted my fledgling identity as a Chinese speaker grounded more deeply in the language - not imported. When I told this story to a class of Internationals from China about a year later, starting with the Chinese version of my English name, and they laughed like hell for at least a minute before being able to explain what was so funny, I realized I'd made a very good decision. Apparently, one possible interpretation is the image of a mad person running around without clothes on. Dodged a bullet there, I think you'll agree.

I pestered my gege (elder brother) for a name and he said, "No, that's too serious a job for me. We'll talk to jiejie (elder sister) ..." She also deferred but said she would hand the business over to her sister, a lovely woman who teaches Chinese literary history at a University and is also a student of feng shui. She was given my birth date and time, where I was born, the meaning of my names in English and I don't know what else to work with, but three weeks later I was given my name. A year later, I was a guest in her home. After dinner, she pulled out the book she uses for this purpose and went about explaining how she came up with it. I was in way over my head language-wise so gege translated the gist...

(mai) -- a word for barley or wheat, also a common surname.
(fei) -- rich and luxurious, of flowers and grass
(lan) -- an orchid ...

... feng shui further attributes aspects of human character to these written characters ... enthusiasm and modesty ... there was also some difficulty owing to the fact that one of these (I think the first one) is, as a given name, considered auspicious for a male but possibly an indication of certain difficulties for a female ... ying/yang stuff. One day, I'm sure - I'll be able to speak with her about it directly. In the meantime ... Feilan should do some studying. :tongout
Many people will sleep for a hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back. ~ Louis David Riel
Feilan

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue May 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Wow! Mine's just a silly name I thunk up.

And where's my apostrophe?
Seamus OBlimey

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed May 25, 2011 12:24 am

Wait. It's not because your initials are s.o.b., as in son of a bitch?
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Thu May 26, 2011 6:11 pm

I only noticed that later and I prefer bastard so as not to malign my mother..

I didn't even know blimey in Olde Englische meant Blind Me until Blanc accused me of sacrilege.. apparently Cor Blimey means God Blind Me..

So my silliness reads as Shame Us [, or '] Oh Blind Me..

Maybe I should stop reading here
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm

82, Nordic, no sweat. I rarely carry an umbrella today to keep from being wetted by yesterday's rain.

I used the 'sad dad' tag on my first post to Jeff's blog when this all came down 5 years ago on March 25. Waiting two days for a plane sucked, so I spent a lot of time reading and communicating online. It was a bit painful reading posters comments about people they knew nothing at all about. I'm glad too, that it's use was temporary. After 5 years I've only just begun to sort through his many possessions.

Feilan, welcome and thank you for the brief education. My son spoke Chinese, I'm not sure though whether it was Mandarin or Cantonese. Man, he left a ton of notes all written in Chinese that remain a complete mystery.

Since 2004 I've been caring for his cat, Kisa, (which is pronounced Kee-sa), but I do not recall what this name means in Chinese. He told me it meant something, but I've been unable to find what that would be, though I've asked many Chinese speakers.

Soon after I received her, I bought her a bed that has the symbols meaning "To Dream" in Chinese. (for all I know it could say "we hooked another American sucker!")
Iamwhomiam

Postby marycarnival » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote: I am, after all, a white wizard.

Maybe you could help this guy out... :party: <--- That's a wizard smoking a pipe, btw.
marycarnival

Postby Simulist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 am

So why'd you choose your username, anyway?

'Cause CyberBob34972 just seemed so… '90s.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Project Willow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:24 am

OK, and WHERE have you been for about 6 months Mr. Simulist????

Glad to see you back regardless.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Simulist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:02 am

Hey, Willow… Thanks. :)

Real life has a way of sort of intervening — in a good way though, in this case. It's been nice to stop back by.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 am

Dude! Simulist, you're back!?!?!? Good to "see" you.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:05 am

YEah hi.

Good to hear its been good.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby bks » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 am

Nice to see you, Simulist.
bks

Postby norton ash » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am

Hi Sim!

Reminds of the punchline of a favourite old joke.

"Sophie, you're lying here nekkid cause you can't decide what to wear?? Let's look in the closet... you got the blue dress, you got the black dress, you got the red dress... Hi Sam... you got the pink dress, you got..."
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Simulist » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Oh, wow... Thanks, 82, Joe, Bks, and Norton!
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News