If lovin' playoff hockey is wrong...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: If lovin' playoff hockey is wrong...

Postby Feilan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 pm

7 - oh - scratch that: 8 nothing Boston. :zomg

wait, 8 - 1? when t'hell did *we* score ...? anyway ...

:deadhorse:

Vancouver defense/Luongo fell. a. part.

what a mess. unless yer a Boston fan I guess...
Many people will sleep for a hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back. ~ Louis David Riel
Feilan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 pm

You never want to blow out a team that way mid series if you wanna win it. 8-1 is an anomaly in any professional hockey game, let alone a series. Thus, this win is an anomaly and Vancouver will be back stronger than ever for game 4. Granted, it could go either way in the long run. But an 8-1 win does not bode well for the team that does so for two evenly matched teams. Vancouver is obviously not that bad. Boston lost the previous two games because they are so evenly matched, but are perhaps coaching wise mentally sloppy. Vancouver's two wins so far are a result of Boston standing down when mere seconds are in play. Less than 30 seconds of play are what separates both Vancouver's wins. With seconds to go in game one and within seconds of the overtime period.

Go Canucks!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Vancouver in 6, thinking about it some more. Absolutely. Shit, maybe 7 (but that's what it's all about right?) Vancouver will steal one in Beantown and possibly lose another blowout at home only to win it. I know this happened to the Avs, who I am a fan of, but suddenly becoming a Canucks fan and they wound up winning a series VS the Red Wings this way and going to the finals. They still have by winning both two at home complete home ice advantage. If anything, this loss and the way it happened is a good thing!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 am

But then again the Av's as I forgot obliterated the Panthers in 1996. This is from ESPN:

Largest Margin of Victory
Stanley Cup Finals, Since 1927
Year Score Margin
1991 Penguins 8, North Stars 0 8
2011* Bruins 8, Canucks 1 7
1996* Avalanche 8, Panthers 1 7

Avs won in 4. They were the ex-Nordiques at that point.

However, the series winning team was never the one that put those kind of points up down 2-0. There is total hope.
82_28

Postby Feilan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 am

mmm-k so we don't use terms like 'ex-nordiques' up here, alright bra? (word to the wise when traveling/drinking in a sports bar in Canada) :wink

... we just don't talk about that UNLESS a team comes north (yaaa Winnipeg!) ... :partyhat

a 7 game series would be all good. hard to say what kind of shape the Vancouver bench is being whipped into, but I'll bet they didn't sleep well. game 4 looms :zomg
Many people will sleep for a hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back. ~ Louis David Riel
Feilan

Postby Feilan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm

beeline wrote:dirty hit

Hey Beeline - you must have been referring to the hit on Horton. I didn't actually get sorted to sit and watch until about 10 minutes in. I didn't see that check at all, until just now. Talk of it and Rome's suspension has been in the news all day, but I didn't catch up with that either until after work.

I don't believe it was malicious from what I could see of it in clips;it looked like someone who wasn't sure he'd get a single shift in this round started the engine for a clean check and *couldn't* cut back once the puck was gone. He may not have seen that the puck was gone - Horton wasn't ready to take a hit and he should have been. There is a lot of dirty tension between these two benches that was on display on all sides all game. If Horton was still in possession, it would have been 'clean' say the ones who called it - not a violation of the new blindside rule. I don't have the benefit of their frame by frame so I don't know about that.

... Rome made a short statement today expressing a lot of concern for Nathan Horton, mentioning that he has himself suffered concussion on the ice and would not hit to hurt anyone. I believe that as much as I can believe anything. The trouble is - you watch that clip and you see, straight up north-south or not, that hit would have ended the same way.

Rome gets a 4 game suspension and that's fine, but nothing is ever served by hanging up one player. It's happening all over the place. The *way* people are playing along with the speed, the size of many of the players and the equipment they've got on is a recipe for the ultimate disaster. Suspensions and rule changes will play their part in a solution if they aren't as haphazard as they have been ... here's hoping Nathan Horton recovers fully and as soon as possible and that Rome doesn't become Bettman's latest goat.
Feilan

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 am

In a sport that allows for fighting, any hit is potentially dirty. That hit was no more dirty than any other, it was just unfortunate. But who knows? Hope he gets well too. Tomorrow night yo!
82_28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 am

I'm not really following this but that hit didn't look that bad. Well not that dirty, I think it was just unfortunate. The guy who got flattened probably could have ridden that bump if he'd had a bit more spacial awareness but he basically turned into it and caught the other guys shoulder.

As for the next game... it depends who scores first. Boston get the first one or two and Vansterdam could be in trouble. Thats the only thing you can really take from a defeat like that in a finals series like this. (I reckon.)

Honestly we don't get the way you guys do finals.

In Australia once you make the play offs you play each side once, win and you go on, lose and its all over. None of this best of 7 stuff. 1 chance - Death or Glory, and if you choke well you choke.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Feilan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:Honestly we don't get the way you guys do finals.

In Australia once you make the play offs you play each side once, win and you go on, lose and its all over. None of this best of 7 stuff. 1 chance - Death or Glory, and if you choke well you choke.

That's an interesting point and I've never thought about it. I checked the wiki on the history of the cup and discovered that it's the oldest professional sports trophy in NA and the business of handing out the cup has very much evolved over time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_Finals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Cup_champions

During the challenge cup period, none of the leagues that played for the trophy had a formal playoff system to decide their respective champions; whichever team finished in first place after the regular season won the league title. A playoff would only be played if teams tied for first-place in their leagues at the end of the regular season. Challenge games were played until 1912 at any time during hockey season by challenges approved and/or ordered by the Stanley Cup trustees. In 1912, Cup trustees declared that it was only to be defended at the end of the champion team's regular season.

I appreciate what you're saying about the 'do or die' dynamic of a one-off. I can't really imagine it in the place of the best of 7 series though. The drama of series play is too engaging. Needless to say, a lot more money gets made this way too... :cthulhu:

That clip won't play for me, is that the same goal?

Yep, that's the one. :bigsmile

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/1005/ <-- I'm SO dissapointed to hear this doesn't work for you - I guess that means cbc's online archives are only accessible in-country? :mad2

Considering I have students from China who did online English listening practice back home at the National Filmboard online, it's even more disappointing. I wish I could embed this Joe (if i can i don't know how...); it's quite a peek.

Speaking of China, Thunderbirds in China, is a real interesting peek too. :basicsmile
Feilan

Postby Feilan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 pm

WTF! waddya doin' Sedin???? another Boston power play. the canucks brought game but it already looks like they also brought stupid ... :grumpy
Feilan

Postby Feilan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 pm

The brick wall just gave way!!!!!! La Pierre finds the hole! 1- nothin', satisfaction.
Feilan

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Nothing gives me chills like watching the hockey team you want to win play in the final minutes. They're still going (the chills). Fuck I love playoff hockey. WTG Vancouver!!!!!!!!! Fuck yeah!
82_28

Postby Feilan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm

^^^ There ya go: Luongo + La Pierre = Canadian Classic.

... could have been 2-0. Doesn't matter. As long as Vancouver wins by at least 1 every time they play at home - the cup comes home with a Canadian team.

Little, tiny, silly 'victories'. What small pleasures there are in dark days.

great game!!!
Feilan

Postby Freitag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Go Vancouver :yay

Pretty sweet trick missing the shot to the right like that, passing it off the boards! I don't know enough about hockey to appreciate all the intricacies, but it's still hella fun to watch!
Freitag

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Awesome game. Speechless. Just awesome effort by the boys in blue. I'm still getting twinges of chills just thinking about it.

Some dick the other day told me that he has to go with Boston because they're an American team. I told him "fuck you", Vancouver are your neighbors bro and most the players on the Bruins aren't even American as it is. It was in good humor, but fuck do I hate Boston fans and always will. They're like cockroaches. (no offense Boston friends). But I utterly hate your "nation".
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News