well, the inevitable has caught up with me...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

well, the inevitable has caught up with me...

Postby justdrew » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:00 pm

:coolshades my relatively semi-cush job of ten years is toast. laid-off. funemployment here I come.

So... I think I'm going rouge. freelance. private practice in the computer arts. I'll make house calls. Should have access to a decent clientele from my former colleagues and their friends/family. Computer fix-it, home entertainment stuff, web-site stuff, some graphics work maybe, etc. With luck I'll be hiring someone to help within a year. :bigsmile

One thing I need is to lower my rent asap. So if anyone in the PDX region has leads on affordable living situations, please clue me in, anything less than say 600 a month would be fine. Also business start-up advice is much appreciated.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: well, the inevitable has caught up with me...

Postby norton ash » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Sorry, Drew!

Goddess knows you've shown skilllz, excellent character, hard work and energy around here. You'll make your own good luck.
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I am so sorry about that Drew.

If my business is any measure, freelancing is rather tough these days. I'm wondering though, how would you feel about paring up as designer & dev on some jobs? I can always use a PHP, MySQL, server side person.

BTW, the first brand-integrated RI PhpBB theme is mid-way through development. I should be done in about a week or so, unless more work lands on my own desk. It's been a bit of fun so far.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justdrew » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 pm

norton ash wrote:Sorry, Drew!

Goddess knows you've shown skilllz, excellent character, hard work and energy around here. You'll make your own good luck.

thanks norton - much appreciated.
justdrew

Postby justdrew » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Project Willow wrote:I am so sorry about that Drew.

If my business is any measure, freelancing is rather tough these days. I'm wondering though, how would you feel about paring up as designer & dev on some jobs? I can always use a PHP, MySQL, server side person.

BTW, the first brand-integrated RI PhpBB theme is mid-way through development. I should be done in about a week or so, unless more work lands on my own desk. It's been a bit of fun so far.

yeah, I could do that most likely (and will actually tell you if I can't :) ), I'll pm you my my e-mail. I'm not expecting to personally end up with "much" creative work, mostly just computer tech stuff, malware removal and such will probably be the mainstay.

Sounds cool, looking forward to the theme :thumbsup
justdrew

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 am

Goddammit Drew, I'm sorry to hear this.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Good luck and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby justdrew » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:18 pm

thanks much everyone! Things are looking up, a new position may appear at my current place, maybe even a fairly cool one. Failing that, I'm feeling very optimistic about hoisting my own flag of entrepreneurial enterprise. There's a 9 week severance pay, and I've got about 2 and a half weeks of vacation saved up to cash out too. Then assuming the government doesn't shut down, unemployment benefits. So I'm actually, now, at this time, feeling very safe. and remarkably fortunate...

but seriously, thanks all for your kind words. it has indeed helped me get over the initial shock. (as someone who was once homeless, I've had that fear going through my head incessantly)

My Last Day is slated for August 2nd, which of course has had me going, hmmm... what a coincidence! but I doubt there's anything "funny" going on, just a pig headed new leader due to our integration/re-org. standard crappola really.

justdrew

Postby marycarnival » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Thank goodness you're getting severance! I was kinda worried aboutcha there for a bit...

I've got my ear to the ground for rentals!
marycarnival

Postby justdrew » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm

marycarnival wrote:Thank goodness you're getting severance! I was kinda worried aboutcha there for a bit...

I've got my ear to the ground for rentals!

I'm now feeling over-fortunate so if anyone needs a hand with anything let me know!
justdrew

Postby Allegro » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:58 am

So glad you can breathe easy now :bigsmile, justdrew!

~ A.
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby freemason9 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 pm

This may be a good time to consider different sovereign states.
The real issue is that there is extremely low likelihood that the speculations of the untrained, on a topic almost pathologically riddled by dynamic considerations and feedback effects, will offer anything new.
freemason9

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 am

Sorry, Drew. Sorry I missed this thread too. Wednesdays and Thursdays are a little harrowing for my time days. I'm glad you have a good setup for now. I know a bunch of Humbolt county scrubs down there that might have a room. I highly doubt you'd wanna live with them though. Glad you have severance and all that. If you need anything let me know. I'm fairly close and shit and would be willing to help with what I would be able to manage. If you got time off now, come on up to Seattle and hang out!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby justdrew » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:51 am

freemason9 wrote:This may be a good time to consider different sovereign states.

you're right. I'm moving to Ceres. The freemost of the asteroid colonies :)

naw, unless I get a serious business off the ground, none of the SSs that speak english would have me. low means. low paper education :(

I just need to relax for a couple weeks, do some light looking, and plot my next move. Unless I do end up getting an offer from the current place, which may yet come to pass.

I tell ya, the PNW is the place to be, everyone else is flooding or roasting or freezing or getting blown away it seems. Thinking slightly about moving, but probably not.
justdrew

Postby justdrew » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:56 am

82_28 wrote:Sorry, Drew. Sorry I missed this thread too. Wednesdays and Thursdays are a little harrowing for my time days. I'm glad you have a good setup for now. I know a bunch of Humbolt county scrubs down there that might have a room. I highly doubt you'd wanna live with them though. Glad you have severance and all that. If you need anything let me know. I'm fairly close and shit and would be willing to help with what I would be able to manage. If you got time off now, come on up to Seattle and hang out!

well, I might be into that in awhile. would be cool to meet the RI-Seattle branch office crew :)

I don't know about living in humbolt, but I have wanted to visit Arcata someday.
justdrew

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News