well, the inevitable has caught up with me...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: well, the inevitable has caught up with me...

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 pm

They're actually Humbolt yokels who live in PDX. I used to be roommates with them up here before they decided to move down there to your fine city.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

and that's enough...

Postby IanEye » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 pm

justdrew wrote::coolshades my relatively semi-cush job of ten years is toast. laid-off. funemployment here I come.

IanEye wrote:
IanEye wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=370527#p370527

December 6th, 2009
On Thursday, the company i work for went through another round of layoffs. Somehow, i yet again managed to avoid the axe, but unfortunately some of my friends did not.
I always keep a Rizla tucked away in my car for such occasions, and apparently so do some of my friends. We all ended up packed together in a small Scion, listening to the Beatles Mono boxset, smoking marijuana and doing slow loops through the industrial park we work in.

Although I laugh & I act like a clown
Beneath this mask eye am wearing a frown
My tears are falling like rain from the sky
Is it for her or myself that I cry?

So, the analogy made a lot more sense to me when I was really high and had several shots of Patrón in me.
Perhaps a better analogy would be to compare Mr. Anderson to Sidney Lumet. Mr. Lumet was born in 1924 and he directed "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead" in 2007.
Like Mr. Lumet, I get the feeling Mr. Anderson has a lot of movies left in him.

Me, I'm just the lucky kind
Love to hear you say that love is love
And though we may be blind
Love is here to stay & that's enough...

_-_

Well, I guess I finally zigged when i should have zagged, because they laid me off today. To be honest, I am fairly amazed I managed to last this long.

I just made my second batch of margaritas, figured I'd share.

Drinks all around!

Dude, i got laid off and my last day of work was December 31st.

Eye don't ski.

I don't skate.

having my first month of severance be in fucking July would have been sweet.
boo fucking hoo for yoo, slacker....
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby justdrew » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:50 pm

yeah man, I'm probably really... welllll... 'blessed' I guess. I'm not going to go into details, but even the fall back position is good, so I think it's sweet really.

hey, checkout the superset i just posted in the Listening thread, I think you'll enjoy :thumbsup

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby justdrew » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 pm

well, it's only Tuesday, but it sure feels like a weird-ass Friday :sun:

free at last? oh gawd... I'm free at last.

... for now at least :shrug:
justdrew

Postby justdrew » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 am

well. In most respects, things have been going great in my life, finally got the health sorted out and am feeling 24 vs my real 44. So that's good. What's not so good, is that I can't seem to get hired to save my life. Literally.

So... to hell with them.

Starting my own business. Got a great location selected. It's going to be a combination computer repair consulting practice and a Coffee Shop/hangout space. One of our main food items will be... you guessed it... fancy toast.

So I have the knowledge, skill, motivation and sweat. I am assembling a team of backers who can contribute the filthy lucre. We will be a joint-stock company, probably an S-corp. The founders will get shares. Funding needs for this business are low and we should be able to generate solid revenue fairly quickly. All the Founders need to do is kick in a minimum of $1,000.00 a month for at most five months. If it's not working by then, we do a controlled shutdown in the sixth month and close. Liability and risk are relatively minimal, upside is major relative to the investment. The share purchase agreement will include language that half your shares will be bought back for four times the purchase cost within 11 months of start. This ensures double your money back, or you can opt to bypass that and keep all the shares, for larger profit payouts later. Your remaining shares you can opt for a buyout before the end of December at purchase price or stay in and participate in life-of-the-business monthly profit payouts. So you can be in and out in this calendar year, or stick with it. The rent is a reasonable straight amount per month, no taking any of our net.

This is a serious plan and I'm just putting this here because, who knows, one or more of you may be interested in something like this. Jobs will be made. Lives more or less 'saved' etc...

Mostly all 'organic' good stuff, reasonable prices, etc.

but the Cafe doesn't stand or fall on it's own, it's got the Computer fix-it and consulting side of the house working too. We'll have cool "Maker" objects for sale on consignment, etc. It'll be a destination business. We have an inner door to and are right next to a large used book store. We're promoting and riding the wave of the rebirth of 'physical culture' and will be trying to facilitate table-top gaming in the place as well.

The computer side will operate out of a back room with a glass door. Existing computer repair shops are doing well in town and hiring, so there is surely a market for these services. This should be fairly lucrative. The location will also serve as a foundation for marketing our business-to-business IT services.

Tens of thousands of cars pass by each day on this main commute road. We have reasonable parking available, though a lot of people will bike, walk or bus in.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, PM me and we'll take the discussion to real life.

- Drew

PS - we have a good name that'll work for people of all ages.
justdrew

Postby semper occultus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:46 am

......wish you every possible success..

..next stop :

...think about us when you're on the deck of the yacht being attended to by your team of personal Thai massage girls.....

re computer stuff : doing personal visits / making house calls may be an issue : I kno' naaathing about any of this stuff seems like as the tech gets more and more embedded in the home / non-pc devices, home wirless hubs etc etc that's were the growth & demand may be coming from ......when that's malfucntioning its more difficult to just sling a dell-branded beige box in the car & drop it round for treatment....

e.g. - I have a HDD recorder for the TV that's meant to pick up stuff from my PC on DLNA or something......doesn't work & have no frickin' clue / motivation to work out how to fix it ....( ....if you're ever passing....)
semper occultus

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 am

Best of luck man!

That all sounds so amazing.

Wish I could get a visa.
Hammer of Los

Postby Elvis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:29 am

justdrew wrote:So... to hell with them.

Starting my own business. Got a great location selected. It's going to be a combination computer repair consulting practice and a Coffee Shop/hangout space. One of our main food items will be... you guessed it... fancy toast.

I just wanted to say, this sounds terrific, Drew, and exciting! Making a 'go' at even a small enterprise can be great fun. It's hard work of course, too, but it's a joy because you're creating something. Coffee and food are two very noble offerings, plus personal computer fix-its all make it an especially honorable vision. And your hangout could create the most valuable prize of all: a community.

As a monumental business 'failure' I'll limit my advice to one word: garlic toast.

(oh, and maybe have live music.)

Please do keep us posted on how it goes. :thumbsup
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Project Willow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:47 am

Good luck Drew!
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justdrew » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:47 pm

thanks much all.

and you know, I had overlocked garlic toast. :wallhead: good idea :thumbsup
justdrew

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 pm

deep fried french toast (thick slices of french bread) ...with powdered sugar :)
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby IanEye » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 pm

justdrew » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 am wrote:well. In most respects, things have been going great in my life, finally got the health sorted out and am feeling 24 vs my real 44. So that's good.

Starting my own business. Got a great location selected. It's going to be a combination computer repair consulting practice and a Coffee Shop/hangout space.

_ _

Tens of thousands of cars pass by each day on this main commute road. We have reasonable parking available, though a lot of people will bike, walk or bus in.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, PM me and we'll take the discussion to real life.

- Drew

PS - we have a good name that'll work for people of all ages.

well, eye have assessed the details of your plan,
& they sound like the deeds of a man in his prime.

shine on,
ian eye

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby NeonLX » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm heading over for some of that deep fried French toast...

Best wishes, namesake! (my name is Drew too)
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby slimmouse » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:50 pm

I logged off, prior to just visiting this part of our wonderful forum, out of sheer late night curiousity.

And at the top of the board is this thread, which I had completely hitherto missed.

Compelled me to log back in and comment.

"What a wonderful way to end my evening"

And therefore "Id like to propose a toast" ( Corny I know.)

All the best to you Drew.

:thumbsup
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Elihu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:12 pm

......wish you every possible success..
and the impossible!
Elihu

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News