sounds

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: sounds

Postby Allegro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:46 am

:wink:
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 pm

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:24 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm

I love the architecture of these towers:

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Allegro » Mon May 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks BPH, that is superb. Subtlely, spookily melodious.

Actually, come to think of it, I miss the sounds of dial-up. As the sonic precursor gateway to a (then) new world, it was a bit like the moment a theatre curtain begins raising on an act you've been dying to see.

Fond memories of the dial-up tone. I really should get a life.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Wow! Awesome. Reminds me of Dr. Fiorella Terenzi's MUSIC OF THE GALAXIES...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkCfXZN8KnY

professorpan » 29 Mar 2007 18:36 wrote:Let's not forget the ravishing cosmologist/musician Fiorella Terenzi:

http://www.fiorella.com/

coffin_dodger » 28 Jun 2013 14:01 wrote:

Thanks BPH, that is superb. Subtlely, spookily melodious.

Actually, come to think of it, I miss the sounds of dial-up. As the sonic precursor gateway to a (then) new world, it was a bit like the moment a theatre curtain begins raising on an act you've been dying to see.

Fond memories of the dial-up tone. I really should get a life.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby ShinShinKid » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm all alone in the Lounge, no guests, no users....what kind of sound should I make?
And, if I make it, and no one is here is hear it, what then?
First try:
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby ShinShinKid » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I love this one, more of a song, but...
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Allegro » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:24 am

^ Iannis Xenakis, composer

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 pm

That is so alien and not natural and unlike anything else my ears have ever been subjected to that it confuses my brain. If it were very much longer I would have to stop listening. It's not exactly disturbing, but it's not in the least soothing. I'm not sure what it makes me feel, but somehow I vaguely sense it's not inconsequential. I think if i were to listen to it again I might discover that it's effect on me derives from trying and failing to find something familiar to hang on to.
brainpanhandler

Iannis Xenakis, composer

Postby Allegro » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:22 pm

brainpanhandler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm wrote:That is so alien and not natural and unlike anything else my ears have ever been subjected to that it confuses my brain.
Mine, too!
brainpanhandler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm wrote:If it were very much longer I would have to stop listening. It’s not exactly disturbing, but it’s not in the least soothing. I’m not sure what it makes me feel, but somehow I vaguely sense it’s not inconsequential.
I’ve had to let that Xenakis work be inconsequential. I know you know there’s much more to consider than expressions the likes of which reflect Xenakis’s. Composers of his nature became experimenters, as many composers have been, let’s say, during the most recent 600 years, and some experimenters of today’s music are composing by interweaving previous compositional devices, whether they acknowledge those devices is another story: they’d rather not be associated with a music elite, as well they are, of course. It’s really extraordinary, that is, which elite circle one wishes to explore, and from whom to become unattached by the smallest or grandest devices. We humans will not ever give up exploring!
brainpanhandler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm wrote:I think if i were to listen to it again I might discover that it’s effect on me derives from trying and failing to find something familiar to hang on to.
Perhaps, the antidote for unfamiliarity is on its way? I’ve another post that’s not nearly ready as a response to kelley’s most recent contribution in the ongoing hauntology thread. In my post, I think I’ll link back to your initial post, above.

~ A.

Postby justdrew » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:00 am

:ohwh

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:56 pm

brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:41 pm

brainpanhandler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 pm wrote:
eyeno » Thu May 12, 2011 12:48 pm wrote:I know that this phenomena is real because I personally know very sane people that report these effects. They have tinnitus in their ears. They have been to many doctors but the doctors are clueless. Sometimes it gets so bad they report that their brain feels inflamed. They hear sounds that sound like morse code sometimes. Sometimes it sounds like music, a television, people talking, etc..Sometimes they feel disoriented, weak, sick. When they turn their head one way the sound changes or goes away, and when they turn their head back to its original position the sound resumes.

I was just in southeast MO at a place called Alley Spring. Amazing place. 81 million gallons a day comes out of this spring. We hiked to the top of the bluff above the spring and I had one of the most intense auditory hallucinations (?) I have ever had. It was a very low, deep bass tone. Mostly it was constant, but occasionally it would pulse. I only "heard" it in my left ear. I put heard in quotes because it wasn't so much hearing as feeling. That was one of the really strange things about it. It vibrated my skull with what felt like a resonant frequency. (Do auditory hallucinations do that?) It was very loud. If I turned around it would change, becoming more or less resonant, more or less loud. It made me feel a bit disoriented, but I could attribute that to the strangeness of the experience. When I moved away from the spot it disappeared. When I moved back it resumed. My partner heard nothing.

brainpanhandler » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 pm wrote:About the strange tones I heard:

Alley Spring

View of Alley Spring from bluffs above

The pulsed tone was heard on the bluffs overlooking Alley Spring. I've been looking for a conventional explanation. It seems to me that water flowing underground might well generate some interesting hydroacoustic dynamics. I was thinking maybe some sort of semi-audible/felt infrasound of some sort. This article: http://www.wtpoptics.com/Infrasonic.pdf seems to provide some support for that theory. Who knows what I was standing on. We were a couple of hundred feet above the spring at that point.

Another conventional answer might be that some sort of mapping technology that utilizes pulsed vlf waves or EM energy of some sort that could set up a resonance effect in the underground cavities was being used at the time and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time to hear it.

brainpanhandler » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 pm wrote:The red building was an old mill and the white building was an old school house. There had been a swedish settlement there. 81 million gallons of fresh water come out of that spring every day. The water stays at a steady 58 degrees f. I imagine on a hot summer day that would have been nice.

I don't think I've properly emphasized just how intense this experience was. I was dumbfounded. I've had auditory hallucinations before. I often here faint, distant music that no one else seems to hear. Despite it's faintness it's very vivid to me. I hear other things. This was different. It was LOUD. If you've ever had your hearing tested imagine hearing the lowest tone in the test through one headphone loud enough that it vibrates your skull.(minor correction from previous post. It was my right ear that I heard the tone in) I've heard tones before, but this was completely unprecedented. And moving my head about like an old fashioned antenna to adjust the clarity and volume was disconcerting. That's the detail in Eyeno's post that caught my attention. Neuropathology is a possibility. Perhaps I should get my head examined.

I wrote:Who knows what I was standing on.

It appears from the following USGS geological survey map (PDF) that I was standing on:

Gasconade Dolomite (Lower Ordovician)—Dolomite, chert, sandstone,
and orthoquartzite.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3161/pdf/sim31 ... ing_mo.pdf

3:00 minute mark =>
brainpanhandler

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News