I am currently watching television programmes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: I am currently watching television programmes

Postby elfismiles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Anybody watch this series REIGN?

I read about this particular episode but haven't seen any of the series:

Reign’s Royal Scandal: What’s So Shocking About Masturbation?
The CW's decision to cut a scene of self-pleasuring in Reign shows that TV still follows an absurd taboo
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/1 ... turbation/

CW Cuts 'Reign' Scene Featuring Masturbation, But Why Is It So ...
Oct 23, 2013 - As Poniewozik pointed out, masturbation typically only makes it into cable shows were censorship is a non-issue. "When I tried to come up with ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/2 ... 50443.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby justdrew » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:27 pm

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Can't resist this one, not least because it blows that whole "nothing has changed culturally since the 90s" thing out of the water.

You post spoilers about Season 4, you die. Though of course I already watched most of the Roose Bolton stuff on Youtube. He's an incredible actor, that guy. Anybody can play a scary psychopath - well, nearly anybody, to varying degrees - but it is very difficult to embody one, while still keeping a fair bit of the theatrical flair that keeps things interesting.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Rory » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:00 am

Rory » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:32 pm wrote:Can't recommend this show highly enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_%28TV_series%29

Plot

The story follows a small group of people who find themselves in possession of a manuscript of a cult graphic novel called "The Utopia Experiments", which is rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century. This leads them to be targeted by a government organisation known only as 'The Network', which they must avoid to survive

I've seen the three parts of six so far. Dark, funny, extremely cold but thankfully appropriately warm at times - Has the hitmen from kill list, and a few other smart actors - the irish girl is all kinds of green eyed cute. Is a conspiracy thriller that surely has been in the making this past ten years, fermenting way in the minds of observers of conspiracy culture. It manages to hit the right balance between paranoid and plausible.

Very highly recommended

Just finished watching the second season of this. Best thing I've seen in god knows how long. Pretty much every deep political theme discussed here is used as part of the plot and narrative structure. And the beauty of it is that the bad guys have a point, twisted and evil as it might be..

Fantastic television - funny, shocking, and beautifully shot. Get up on this shit
Rory

Postby BrandonD » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Rory » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:00 am wrote:
Rory » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:32 pm wrote:Can't recommend this show highly enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_%28TV_series%29

Plot

The story follows a small group of people who find themselves in possession of a manuscript of a cult graphic novel called "The Utopia Experiments", which is rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century. This leads them to be targeted by a government organisation known only as 'The Network', which they must avoid to survive

I've seen the three parts of six so far. Dark, funny, extremely cold but thankfully appropriately warm at times - Has the hitmen from kill list, and a few other smart actors - the irish girl is all kinds of green eyed cute. Is a conspiracy thriller that surely has been in the making this past ten years, fermenting way in the minds of observers of conspiracy culture. It manages to hit the right balance between paranoid and plausible.

Very highly recommended

Just finished watching the second season of this. Best thing I've seen in god knows how long. Pretty much every deep political theme discussed here is used as part of the plot and narrative structure. And the beauty of it is that the bad guys have a point, twisted and evil as it might be..

Fantastic television - funny, shocking, and beautifully shot. Get up on this shit

Thanks you guys for the recommendation! I think I've found my gf and my new bedtime TV series for the next few days.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby Rory » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:15 pm

I hope you enjoy it Brandon - it's the best look at conspiracy culture I've seen certainly and while it might not be everyone's cup of tea, it tackles some pretty heavy material and ideas in a non patronizing, plausible way. Some of the violence is comic book and very shocking but the dry humor of the lead characters makes up for the otherwise bleak subject matter.

I'd love to read others feedback on the show - to restate: it's one of the most RI shows I've ever seen and I think if anyone here is looking for TV shows to watch, this would cater to most of their interests
Rory

Postby BrandonD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Rory » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:15 pm wrote:I hope you enjoy it Brandon - it's the best look at conspiracy culture I've seen certainly and while it might not be everyone's cup of tea, it tackles some pretty heavy material and ideas in a non patronizing, plausible way. Some of the violence is comic book and very shocking but the dry humor of the lead characters makes up for the otherwise bleak subject matter.

I'd love to read others feedback on the show - to restate: it's one of the most RI shows I've ever seen and I think if anyone here is looking for TV shows to watch, this would cater to most of their interests

I've watched the first season now. I enjoyed it and I agree it will appeal to many on this forum. It seems I always tend to enjoy British shows over their American counterparts.

Warning though, the gratuitous violence is a bit over the top.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby Rory » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I think the violence is part of their aim of conveying a sense of comic book/graphic novel style atmosphere into the show. The quite striking landscape compositions and some of the jarring set piece acts of violence allow them to give an unreal vibe to proceedings. It's quite beautifully made

You'll love the second series if you like the first

"2050 – that's when fish stocks run out, do you fucking get that? 2080 – end of gas; 2090 – the end of oil. Those figures don't come from Greenpeace or Friends of the fucking Earth – they come from BP."
Rory

Postby justdrew » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm

be on the lookout:

and I'm putting a real Trigger Warning on this show,

Intruders

they've made a series about what Ive long considered the Worst Case Scenario.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Recently watched season 1 of THE FOLLOWING starring Kevin Bacon. Liked the premise but ... its become clear that the use of Bacon was to mimic Sutherland's Bauer character (as far as his penchant for abuse / torture of suspects goes).

Lots of ARGy aspects to the way the serial killer cult recruits and communicates - with similarities to how terrorists do same as well.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby DrEvil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm currently watching season 4 of Boardwalk Empire. Al Capone, J. Edgar Hoover and Steve Buscemi banging Patricia Arquette. I love it!

Utopia is brilliant. Unfortunately there won't be another season, but there's (of course :roll: ) a US remake in the works.

I'm also planning on re-watching 'Riget' by Lars Von Trier. Haven't watched it in years, but it's one of the creepiest, funniest and messed up shows ever made. It's up there with Twin Peaks in my book.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Asimov's Foundation

Postby MinM » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Here are a few television related notes:

Jonathan Nolan (brother of Christopher Nolan of Dark Knight and Interstellar fame) producer of Interstellar and creator of Person of Interest comes .. Asimov's Foundation..

Image@Slate · Nov 10 This long-lost, brilliant pilot for The Orson Welles Show looks like nothing else on TV: http://slate.me/1AWhm5W
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby semper occultus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 am

....very much enjoyed this low-key comedy by Mackenzie Crook...with Toby Jones co-starring

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kf095

...the premise much influenced by this methinks...

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25256
semper occultus

Postby stefano » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:17 am

Thanks semper. I dig a bit of British comedy. Of a certain kind, and that looks like that - I'll check it out.

Last week I watched the first series of Toast of London, starring Matt Berry, who also co-wrote. It's ok, has some good moments but no real jokes. Sort of like Darkplace, in that the acting and the characters are supposed to make up for the absence of any comedic plotting. Sometimes they do, often they don't. But some bits are good for a laugh - especially the sound booth gags.

justdrew - Intruders looks seriously worth a look, thanks.
stefano

Postby Project Willow » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:08 pm

AhabsOtherLeg » 25 Feb 2013 23:25 wrote:Did anybody else see the Black Mirror episode "White Bear"?

I thought it was pretty good, but I usually do like Charlie Brooker's stuff. Just realised I have nothing at all to say about it though. It was pretty good.

I just discovered the series and it's perfect timing, as I'm curating an augmented reality art exhibition early next year. Prescient stuff, especially the White Bear episode.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie