I am currently watching television programmes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: I am currently watching television programmes

Postby KUAN » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:43 am

Just watched the latest episode of Dexter. Getting silly - but GREAT....what?...am I revealing too much about myself?
KUAN

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 am

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm

This BOT sode also features the hypersonic sound "Voice of God" tech...

Better Off Ted: Season 1, Episode 9
Bioshuffle
(30 Jun. 2009)
TV Episode - 30 min - Comedy
A toxic leak from a biocomputer creates tension between Linda and Ted when they are forced to share Ted's office. Meanwhile, the new shared workspaces creates a potential romantic interest for Lem.

And this episode of Alphas specifically mentions MK-Ultra, Blue Bird, Artichoke, and Paper Clip

Alphas: Season 2, Episode 6
Alphaville
(27 Aug. 2012)
TV Episode - - Action | Drama | Sci-Fi
Rosen and his team travel to a remote village of Alphas to ask Skylar Adams to look into the function of the photo stimulator. But Parish has people in the village, and soon the lives of both Skylar and her daughter, Zoe, are in jeopardy.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:11 am

Just finished watching CONTINUUM ... it's definitely a post-911 show ... lots of callbacks to 911 in the first season which is all I've seen.

Season 1 Episode 8 deals with mind kontrol though they only ever say "brainwashing" and they trot out the "like hypnosis only the hypnotized can't be made to do anything against there moral code" (words to that effect) meme.

CONTINUUM - S1, Ep8: Playtime
Jul. 22, 2012

Kiera and Carlos investigate two murders where the shooters immediately committed suicide after eliminating their victims. Both were software testers for a local computer gaming company that's been developing an immersive holographic program and Kiera decides to try it out. The effects on her are devastating. Not only have her internal electronics gone haywire, she is now under the control of Edouard Kagame and Liber8. Alec works frantically to reboot her processors but also finds a previously unknown file addressed to him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2273949/
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby justdrew » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:13 am

justdrew

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 pm

I found season 4 of Damages rather watchable. John Goodman plays a creepy, God and Country, private army contractor involved in a CIA rendition program.

Very hypey promo:

Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 pm

I started that but broke it off when the traumatized hero guy signs up to go back to Afghanistan even after knowing full well that the company assassin is trying to kill him and blew up his psychiatrist for talking to whatserface, goodytwoshoesbutviciousaspattiewhennecessary. Too much. Series specializes in implausibility. The storytelling technique creates a completely artificial form of tension unrelated to the actual story by inserting previews of ominous things that will happen in X weeks and then switching what these are going to be. But it's easy to watch, it really is. I'd actually want more of Patty's Cruella thing with the granddaughter and the nannies. Series is really well acted, as you know.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 pm

The implausibility level is always so high in these types of things. People have to have their magic.

Spoilers in case you revisit it....

It got to me when it turned out their illegal mission target was kid, and the CIA creep was holding the kid hostage for god knows how long in his safehouse. Then they ruined the whole thing by humanizing the CIA creep too much, at the end you find out it was his kid.
Project Willow

Postby MinM » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Project Willow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:14 pm wrote:I found season 4 of Damages rather watchable. John Goodman plays a creepy, God and Country, private army contractor involved in a CIA rendition program.

Very hypey promo:

Dylan Baker is awesome :thumbsup001: Here he is in a much different role...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?c ... id=1418900
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby MinM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Project Willow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:14 pm wrote:I found season 4 of Damages rather watchable. John Goodman plays a creepy, God and Country, private army contractor involved in a CIA rendition program.

Based on this post and having caught some of the first few seasons I watched this. Not to spoil too much but the storyline had an interesting Nick Berg meets Pat Tillman aspect to it with all the requisite players that were involved in those cases. Definitely had a much more plausible and realistic plot than the series Homeland.
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:16 am

Has anybody here ever heard of a TV series called Game of Thrones? It's p. cool and doesn't afraid of anything. I'm serious. I have only watched it recently, just like it took me three years to watch LOST.

I like it, on the whole. Had to turn off the Red Wedding episode though - I couldn't take the way that the Starks kept bullying Roose Bolton.

Just 'cos he's kind of inept at social gatherings, and wears chainmail under his wedding clothes, was no good reason for Cat to slap him. No wonder he ran away crying. I switched off right there.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby justdrew » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:42 am

AhabsOtherLeg » 07 Nov 2013 22:16 wrote:Has anybody here ever heard of a TV series called Game of Thrones? It's p. cool and doesn't afraid of anything. I'm serious. I have only watched it recently, just like it took me three years to watch LOST.

I like it, on the whole. Had to turn off the Red Wedding episode though - I couldn't take the way that the Starks kept bullying Roose Bolton.

Just 'cos he's kind of inept at social gatherings, and wears chainmail under his wedding clothes, was no good reason for Cat to slap him. No wonder he ran away crying. I switched off right there.

:rofl2
justdrew

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:42 am

Should I keep watching? I really want Roose Bolton and Walder Frey to get some revenge against those snobby Starks, with their hoity-toity attitudes. Robb was kissing his new wife right in front of the girls he'd jilted. That's not right.

I hope there was a sensible and commensurate comeback to such arrogant boobery.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Project Willow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:56 am

Love ya Ahab, but I couldn't get into Game of Thrones, much as I appreciate what you mention, few punches pulled on elite violence, posturing, and manipulation, but its failures on other levels made it unwatchable for me. The show has a huge cult following here however.

Agreed, MinM, Dylan Baker was excellent in that role.

On a completely different note, I watched the PBS News Hour on this past election night. They did a segment on tinnitus, which overall was fairly good, but it triggered the hell out of me. They gave a general warning at the beginning, but then included the tones within the segment at unexpected intervals. The first one was a big trigger, far too close to an mc slave call-back, close as in nearly indistinguishable. Grrrrrr.
Project Willow

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:17 am

Project Willow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 am wrote:...but its failures on other levels made it unwatchable for me. The show has a huge cult following here however.

I realised quite early on that I was kind of lucky, being able to watch it without being hurt or disturbed in any major way. I know about the huge cult following - a lot of folk seemed upset by the Red Wedding and various events leading up to it. Like reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, it's definitely not something you can recommend to anybody, unless you know them well enough and can be sure they'll be alright with it.

It does have massive failings, and seems totally unaware of them, like many fantasy products. It's always been that way, unfortunately. I still can't help liking it, though, as a show. Apart from that guy who's going to stop Dany from going with Jorah Mormont. He's a bawbag.
AhabsOtherLeg

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie