Re: I am currently watching television programmes

Postby Nordic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:53 pm

Yes! I sure hope it's as good.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:43 pm

I am on episode 8 (of 10) of the Good Girls Revolt recently released on Amazon Prime video.

The show is a period piece of an American news magazine in the late 60s. The "Good Girls" are a group of researchers and office staff that have joined together covertly in pursuit of a lawsuit for workplace equality. All the management and reporters at the news magazine are men. The show is full of cultural and music hooks of those times and is based upon a true story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687892/
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby semper occultus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:10 pm

...thanks to the wonders of the internet - a great tv advert I was randomly thinking about

https://cdn-r.luerzersarchive.com/archive/videos/480/1990/24159.mp4
semper occultus

Postby Cordelia » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:41 am

Belligerent Savant » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm wrote:.

The Night Of.

Like Murder One, The Wire, and Making a Murderer, The Night Of mines our obsession with the minutiae behind the presentation and discernment of data, which is always inherently political, especially in the courtroom, particularly in an age in which information travels faster than light. Only a few comparatively innocent characters, such as Naz and his parents, Salim and Safar (Peyman Moaadi and Poorna Jagannathan), initially fail to understand that “truth” has nothing to do with the outcome of his trial. The verdict is decided by how Naz looks, by who he knows, by the jury's predigested feelings on Muslims, by Andrea's reputation as a promiscuous trust-fund drug addict, and by a host of other head-spinning variables.

Adapting the British series Criminal Justice, [screenwriter Richard] Price displays a characteristically peerless understanding of cops-and-thugs quotidian, capturing the nuances that inform and embody how people on both sides of the criminal fence relate to one another. His dialogue has the tangy, lived-in snap that one associates with Price's novels and prior scripts, which deftly mix genre plotting with a deep-seated understanding of the realities of bureaucracies that exist to keep everyone in their place, operating by rules that no one entirely understands. The veteran actors deliver this dialogue with relish—the pleasure they take in their showmanship barely discernable from that of their characters, who are similar, if less publicized, show-people.

...it's the textural flourishes that distinguish The Night Of from more formulaic courtroom fare, such as the continuing emphasis that Zaillian and Price place on the notion of ritual as cultural currency. We frequently see intake officers in police stations and courts, witnessing the rapport they do or don't have with repeat offenders, or with foreigners they treat with contempt for displaying understandable ignorance to deliberately disorienting protocol. We often see Box or Stone exchanging embittered in-jokes with colleagues that convey a wealth of understanding of a world that gradually wears people down into indifferent, amoral cogs of figurative machines.

I've watched about an hour & hooked. Excellent show; fine, nuanced performances.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Doing UFC night at a hunting camp, nobody say anything mean tonight
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:59 pm

A bit dated perhaps, but:

Bob Arum (a boxing promoter, it should be noted):
"I don't want to demean UFC, because they've done a marvelous job of marketing. But it's the same audience over and over. It's white males, and they have never been able to expand their demographic. The Hispanics don't care anything for it. Most African-Americans don't watch it. Hey, this country is becoming more and more Hispanic, and it's growing African-American (in the) audience. So the future success of UFC is limited. The success of boxing is not, because boxing reaches those groups. The only demographic that boxing has lost is the white, young males, period."
Belligerent Savant

Postby guruilla » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Havent watched yet; could be whitewash
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby Nordic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:23 am

Watched Season 3 of The Fall. Wasn't as compelling as the first 2 seasons, for obvious narrative reasons, if you've seen the first 2. Almost a little frustrating at times in its ... slowness I guess. But there weren't that many episodes, there are some interesting ambiguities, and a rather RI-ish theme that plays into the last episode or 2. The ending was good.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle is now available at Amazon Prime.

While production values are high and story line probably more accessible than the Philip Dick source in Season 1, I was disappointed in that none of the characters made a particular impression.
PufPuf93

Postby DrEvil » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:13 pm

I recently watched 'Goliath' with Billy Bob Thornton. Pretty good little guy vs. evil corporation show, and great acting.

Also just finished 'Braindead'. Political satire and brain-eating bugs from outer space. Started out well but kinda lost it towards the end.

And while we're waiting for Twin Peaks, I really liked 'Fortitude'. Starts out as a murder-mystery in a fictional town on Svalbard, and then keeps getting weirder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy3n-7DQAU
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:07 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I watched all of Goliath over several days several weeks ago and it was on of my favorites from Amazon.

Lots of good characters and catchy premise.

As far as "watchability" and pleasure, much preferable to Season 1 MIHC.

May I be pleasantly surprised by Season 2 MIHC.
PufPuf93

Postby DrEvil » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Yeah, fingers crossed for MIHC season two. I'm still not sure if I liked season one or not.

Another decent show I've been watching is 'Bosch', based on the books by Michael Connelly.
It's a well-crafted show with good actors and intriguing plots.

I would also like to repeat my recommendation for 'Romanzo Criminale', an Italian crime drama set in the late 70s to early 80s, about two groups of small-time crooks who decide to band together and take over Rome.
It's two seasons with a proper ending and it touches on quite a few rigint themes:
P2, Aldo Mori's kidnapping, false flag bombings and the deep state, plus a nice helping of communists, fascists, mafia and dodgy clothing.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby stefano » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:14 am

I watched the first episode of series 3 of Black Mirror last night. Brilliant, like all the others. In fact it might be better - this series was commissioned by Netflix, so it's got the US cast and everything, but clearly has bigger budgets. That showed in the exerior sets, which are much more detailed than I remember from the first two series. Screenplay's by Rashida Jones and Mike Schur (Parks and Recreation), "based on a story by" Charlie Brooker

The episode reminds a lot of Dave Eggers's The circle: it's about a society in which everyone rates each other the whole time, like on Facebook, and then you have a numerical score that determines your position in society: the places you can rent, whether you get a seat on a plane, and who wants to be friends with you. It's really good, check it out.
stefano

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:41 pm

PufPuf93 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:34 pm wrote:Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle is now available at Amazon Prime.

While production values are high and story line probably more accessible than the Philip Dick source in Season 1, I was disappointed in that none of the characters made a particular impression.

I have as yet only watched the first episode of season 2 of MIHC and will likely re-watch that the first episode when I binge watch the season.

Why I am posting is that I just read that a 3rd season of MIHC has been approved for production.
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:55 pm

PufPuf93 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:43 am wrote:I am on episode 8 (of 10) of the Good Girls Revolt recently released on Amazon Prime video.

The show is a period piece of an American news magazine in the late 60s. The "Good Girls" are a group of researchers and office staff that have joined together covertly in pursuit of a lawsuit for workplace equality. All the management and reporters at the news magazine are men. The show is full of cultural and music hooks of those times and is based upon a true story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687892/

Amazon has announced there will be no season 2. Alas I liked this show.
PufPuf93

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie