I am currently watching television programmes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: I am currently watching television programmes

Postby DrEvil » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Just started watching 'Taboo' with Tom Hardy. Pretty intriguing so far: East India Company and magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fiijqrKuc
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:32 pm

That video's blocked in the states, Elvis. Here's the trailer and the first episode.

Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 pm

I actually stopped in to post this show. Judge for yourself how damaging western culture's impact has been around the world. God save us all!

and yes, I'm really watching it. It gets better, alternatively.
Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:40 am

God damned geo-blocking. Pretty impressive that they block the trailer for a show but leave the full episodes up.

Only seen the first two episodes so far but I like what I'm seeing.

Also just watched the first two episodes of 'Outcast'. Not entirely convinced yet, but will watch a couple more before I make up my mind (just once I would like the demons to laugh at the priest and say "Wrong God!").
DrEvil

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Well, I became absorbed into it quickly and watched as many as I could find. I think 5. Some try to evade the copyright bots or whatever by using screwed-up titles and sometimes clip scenes. After hours of watching, I was left wanting more! I'll have to check out "Outcast."

So, thanks!
Iamwhomiam

Postby stefano » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Taboo looks good, thanks.

I'm three episodes into Mr Robot, liking that. Also three episodes into Roots, which is really good.
stefano

Postby vince » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:55 pm

Anybody else watching "The Young Pope" on HBO?
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Rory » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 am wrote:Been watching UnREAL. Almost through he first series.

When watching it was proposed to me I was a little dubious to say the least. Now that I'm deep in I am amazed that a show as dark and cynical is in the mainstream. Various articles like this will give you the gist and premise but it is (seemingly, to my non industry eye), as close a warts and all look at the ugly sociopathy of reality TV.

Very sharp, funny, and dark. Excellent TV

Shocking! Thank you for this recommendation. Could I have even conceived of watching a Lifetime series about the production of a Reality TV show based on the Bachelor? And expect it to be a gripping drama? Turns out, given the closed universe within which it plays, it's more realistic as an expose on what makes MKULTRA than Dollhouse! The reality of Reality cannot be this perfectly timed as evil but the show gets at the sociopathic/traumatized essence, for sure.

Also, I was a patsy and actually cried at the end of the second season when (spoiler deleted). Ha! That, I saw coming.

A critique would be that it depicts these "liberals" who actually want to do the right thing, and the bad-bad people are better only because they are not as certain of their superior morality. A universal problem, at the moment, that trying to stick to rationally based values on principle and despite hypocrisy is seen as a big useless joke.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Cordelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:18 am

I just started watching the second episode of an excellent series recommended by JackR in another thread. If series isn't already included here.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb0yFr2jVAU

The only big drawback are the small subtitles in white instead of yellow; making it very difficult to read dialogue (and location settings) against light backgrounds on my small(ish) tv screen.

First-rate performance by Maria Schrader, as a Stasi agent and the protagonist's aunt (her resemblance to a Klimt model is noted in a scene in the first episode. :wink )
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:47 pm

The final episode of 'Line of Duty' season four airs tomorrow. The season three finale is still some of the most intense TV I've ever watched.

I've been bingeing on Ray Donovan lately. Pretty entertaining show about Liev Schreiber as a Hollywood fixer, and Jon Voight is great as a dirty old man. It's similar to Sopranos in many ways.

As I mentioned in the movie thread, Fargo season three has started (two episodes in), 'Better call Saul' is also a few episodes in and 'The Americans' is about halfway through the current season. All three are great shows. 'The Americans' in particular should be getting way more attention than it does.
It's a slow burn spy drama about two Soviet agents living as a married couple in the US in the eighties.

Silicon Valley season four also just started, Outcast is a few episodes in (Demonic possession by the guy who wrote 'The Walking Dead') and 'The Expanse' just finished season two.

Can't believe I'm about to say this, but there's a lot of great TV on at the moment.
DrEvil

Postby Laodicean » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Gots to get down, with The Get Down. Grasshopper.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:57 pm

I've watched the first episode, just not sure if it's for me. Might give it a second chance when my backlog is done.
DrEvil

Postby DrEvil » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:09 pm

A few more shows: Bosch (Michael Connelly) season three and Fortitude season two (btw: Ars Technica has an article about the show with a major spoiler for season one with no warning, so don't read it if you plan on watching) is out on Amazon, and 'The Handmaid's Tale' (Margaret Atwood) just released on Hulu.

And Twin Peaks starts in three weeks. :yay
DrEvil

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

The X-Files will be returning to Fox for 10 more episodes. They're also releasing an audiobook: X-Files: Cold Cases

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/x-files-return-fox-1202391802/

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/premieres/hear-eerie-x-files-audiobook-excerpt-with-gillian-anderson-w475009
Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Mon May 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Fingers crossed it's better than the last season which was a disaster. It had one good episode.
DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie