I am currently watching television programmes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: I am currently watching television programmes

Postby DrEvil » Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 pm

I just finished off season one of The Orville and loved it. It feels like classic Star Trek, and it's also hilarious. It's a better Star Trek show than the new Star Trek show.

Also just started Peaky Blinders and am really enjoying it. Irish gangsters in Birmingham in 1919, with a side of communist agitators, IRA hardliners, police brutality and sprawling gypsy clans. My only complaint is that they go a little overboard with the music. I would have preferred something more period specific.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 pm

excellent programs I have watched in the past

Broadchurch
PeakyBlinders
Unforgotten
Endeavour
George Gently
Vera
Versailles
Boardwalk Empire
Detectorists
Foyle's War
Indian Summers
Dae Jang Geum Jewel in the Palace.....patience ...54 episodes subtitles :)
https://www.viki.com/tv/614c-jewel-in-t ... ?locale=en
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Cordelia » Mon May 21, 2018 2:55 pm

^^^Thanks--only seen 'Vera', which I thought was excellent; always like watching Brenda Blethyn.

stillrobertpaulsen » Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:39 pm wrote: I'd love to see a Deutschland 83 second season. I heard they wanted to do Deutschland 86. (It will never be as good, of course.)

I agree completely! Deutschland 83 was absolutely riveting. I had heard about a Deutschland 86 and Deutschland 89 had been conceived. We'll see if they get made or not.

Terrific series. (My only complaint was that the white subtitles on my smallish screen were really hard to read so struggled not to get lost in the dialogue and locations.)

Re-watching 'In Treatment' starring Gabriel Byrne as a psychologist practicing from his home in Baltimore. Each segment covers a session w/ a different patient so it's mostly talk, talk, talk (therapy). Very good acting via dialogue & facial expression/body language. First season ( based on an Israeli series 'BeTipul') follows three clients & one couple and addresses: erotic transference; cost of Western arrogance/warfare; teenage suicide attempt; marital angst. Each disc ends w/the therapist--as screwed up as his patients, and the rest of us-- meeting w/his now retired former supervisor, played by Dianne Wiest, who is terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTggfZW4ko0ig
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Vera is based on the books by Ann Cleeves, and there's also a show called Shetland based on her books about DI Jimmy Perez.

Edit: another good show that's on Netflix: o mecanismo. It's a Brazilian series based on Operation Car Wash, which unraveled the whole Petrobras corruption clusterfuck. They've taken some liberties for "dramatic effect", but it's a well made and engaging show.
DrEvil

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Cordelia » Mon May 21, 2018 1:55 pm wrote:^^^Thanks--only seen 'Vera', which I thought was excellent; always like watching Brenda Blethyn.

When I first saw the show I wondered...I've seen/heard that voice before but I did not know where so I looked her up and of course she was in one of my favorite movies A River Runs Through It

I really like her

for just plain fun I watch Jonathan Creek because of Caroline Quentin. I used to watch Whose Line is it Anyway the original from Britain ....she was very funny in it

thanks Dr. for the o mecanismo suggestion ...I will look for it.....I remember seeing the show Shetland now I will check that one out also
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 am

Oh my god, if the characters on Arrested Development were not intended to provide a 1:1 allegory for the U.S. power institutions, they are now!

Only one missing is Wall Street, though implicitly present in the fact that the corporation keeps acquiring finance for the next venal, stupid scheme. And the original premise, years before 2007-8, was of a sprawl-housing scam to defraud borrowers and investors.

“Arrested Development” as Allegory for U.S. Political Institutions

Posted By Sam Husseini

Stephen Walt‏, professor of international relations at Harvard, several years ago remarked that “Arrested Development” is both a “great show and a terrific description of U.S. political institutions.”

Recent events involving the actors perhaps illustrate the limits of parody: A show about the people with no self awareness hardly precludes such behavior among at least the male real-life actors.

Indeed, while U.S. media seems increasingly drenched in satire, genuine improvement in the society seems tragically rare and slow. So, to the extent that the Bluth family is an allegory for twisted U.S. political institutions, perhaps a straightforward analysis would be of benefit. Walt didn’t elaborate on his analogy, so I have endeavored to connect the characters to their appropriate institutions:

George represents the presidency. His very name is presidential. He’s prone to criminal activity, but at times attempts to maintain plausible deniability by using his twin brother, Oscar.

Lucille is the nominal vice president, but, as is often the case in U.S. administrations, is the actual cold, calculating power behind the throne. In seeming contrast to the actress Jessica Walter depicting her, Lucille hatches insidious plots that she strong-arms the president and others to carry out, like buying land to build The Wall on the border with Mexico. She has an affinity for criminality on the high seas, perhaps stemming from the VP living at the Naval Observatory.

Buster literally joined the army. He does the dirty work. He’s — big stereotype here — not too bright. He has an affinity for robotization, at times killing with drones and himself has a mechanical arm.

Tobias represents the NSA. While he’s a never nude, he can use his cat-like agility to spy and move stealthily around a home. Or, after he says “I blue myself” — is capable of surveilling on the go. His photography of his own body parts was seemingly mistaken as evidence of Iraqi WMDs.

Gob (or G.O.B) is the C.I.A., frequently dispatched by the president to execute covert ops. With his “illusions” he is capable of cluelessly killing innocents. He teams up with the Buster army in the Sword of Destiny and the Tobias NSA in Gobias Industries. He’s continuously trying to cover up his various shameful actions, including from himself, by popping Forget-Me-Nows. He’s guilty of spawning blowback, such as giving the seal that bit off Buster’s arm the taste for mammal blood.

Michael is the State Department. He gets sent to Iraq with Buster and Gob. He had often been seen as more sane, the adult in the room, but ultimately has been shown to be as twisted as the rest of the family — foreshadowing the current unfortunate trajectory of the institution he represents.

Lindsay is the non-profit sector, perpetually putting on ridiculous fundraisers and staging particularly pointless protests — all the while eager to sell out, intentionally or not.

George Michael is Silicon Valley and its connection to academia. While ostensibly pursuing an education, he focuses on projects like his anti-social software Faceblock. [It may be spelled that way but pronounced Fakeblock.]

Maeby of course is Hollywood — she worked at a studio. While her parents Tobias and Lindsay are inept, she’s a skilled con artist. But she does have incredible lapses, displaying incredible ignorance of basic religious knowledge and simple mathematics. She was last seen eyeing more money in Silicon Valley as part of her varied incestuous relationship with her cousin George Michael.

Ann Veal (“Egg”) represents the politically organized right-wing mega churches: Opulent in their wealth, banal in their persona, shallow in their beliefs, hypocritical in their conduct — yet with seemingly functioning family structures.

Lucille 2: Is the donor class, perpetually funding and in bed with one Bluth or another.

URL to article: https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/06/01 ... titutions/

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Heaven Swan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:34 pm

So great to have some time off work!!!

Just watched the whole first season of this Australian thriller and really liked it. Has quite few RI themes like false flags, political blackmail, etc. The main character is Harriet Dunkly, a courageous and sexy investigative journalist. Can't go wrong on this one. :heartflowers:
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby Heaven Swan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:40 pm

Best Colombian series of all time. I watched it twice (88 episodes!) and after the second time I cried because it was over.

Here's the blurb from IMCB:
A young woman who was part of the guerrilla seeking a better life in the city, she wants to study medicine, which will be a difficult wish to fulfill, since being part of groups outside the law always leaves consequences .
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Didn't know it and wouldn't have expected it, but the cartoon Rick and Morty is viciously funny with often brilliant episode scenarios.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh Yes. I posted a Rick & Morty vid clip in this forum some time ago. Possibly the sharpest satire on TV right now.

Here's the 'squirrels control the world' clip I previously posted:

(Warning: graphic language and cartoon-depicted violence)

A few other choice cuts (Re: Israel/Palestine references across several episodes):

Another:

Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 am

Maigret

Maigret is a 1991 international television serial based on Georges Simenon's books. Detective Jules Maigret was played by Bruno Cremer.

14 seasons French subtitles!

I got the dvds from the library
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby DrEvil » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Just watched the first four episodes of the new BBC series Bodyguard, by the same guy who made Line of Duty. So far it's excellent, with some seriously tense set-pieces and twisty conspiracies.
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Just started watching The Prisoner (1967) for the first time. It's all on Youtube. It is not at all dated!

JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Speaking of youtube: while waiting for the next episode of Bodyguard I went rooting around the google for anything written by the same guy (Jed Mercurio), and to my pleasant surprise found he'd written a 1998 alien invasion story called Invasion: Earth. The whole thing is on youtube and I'm about halfway through (six episodes). It's incredibly cheesy in some respects, but I'm really liking the overall plot so far.

Oh, and Sicario 2 is now available online. That's my evening secured.

Edit: Just finished Invasion: Earth and loved it. Much bleaker than I expected, and it goes almost full Lovecraft, which is always fun.

Sicario 2 was also excellent. Not as good as the first one, but still worth a watch.
DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie