Terence McKenna and the singularity

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Terence McKenna and the singularity

Postby wordspeak2 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:33 am

I haven't a clue, really, what to make of the whole thing. Except to say that if this all is born out of DMT/mushroom experiences, which it is, given my own experience in those worlds, if I were a betting person I would say there's at least a certain amount of truth in even the wildest aspects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8v8mgwu ... AAAAAAAAAw
wordspeak2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Terence McKenna and the singularity

Postby wordspeak2 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:03 am

And on the McKenna tip this one's a keeper, too, "No One is Smarter Than You":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HdIPuXC ... re=related

And speaking of government-created cancer, that's what I always suspected about McKenna's early death. It was an easy one, because everyone blamed the "drugs" (haha, psychedelic drug guru gets sick and dies young).
wordspeak2

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 am

As I've said before ...

"I luvs me some McKenna!"

Terence McKenna on WOO
viewtopic.php?p=347691#p347691
viewtopic.php?p=347690#p347690
viewtopic.php?p=347689#p347689
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 am

Love that last clip... McKenna is so inspiring.

Didn't he sorta shy away from the Timewave Zero at some point though, admitting that perhaps the data had been sort of fudged?
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby aranazo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:27 pm

wordspeak2 wrote:And speaking of government-created cancer, that's what I always suspected about McKenna's early death. It was an easy one, because everyone blamed the "drugs" (haha, psychedelic drug guru gets sick and dies young).

He used a mobile phone a lot in Hawaii as his house there was off the grid, could have been that.
aranazo

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

aranazo wrote:
wordspeak2 wrote:And speaking of government-created cancer, that's what I always suspected about McKenna's early death. It was an easy one, because everyone blamed the "drugs" (haha, psychedelic drug guru gets sick and dies young).

He used a mobile phone a lot in Hawaii as his house there was off the grid, could have been that.

That's a good point Aranazo.

Though also, considering how well known it was that he smoked canabis I've always wondered if the govt could have spiked his stash with cancer causing agents ...

I'm not sure if he backed away from the TimeWave theory ... seems like he constantly ebbed and flowed regarding his level of belief in the many varied ideas he espoused. One of the reasons I loved him so much.

And welcome Aranazo! Nice to see folks still drop out of lurk mode and post for the first time. :thumbsup
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby wordspeak2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 am

Haven't watched your clips yet, elfismiles; I will, but... no, I don't think he backed away from Timewave Zero, per se, though he always said he was open to it being wrong, and if anyone could disprove it he was all ears. Honestly, I don't really get the whole thing; I have trouble wrapping my brain around it. I did watch this youtube vid claiming to disprove Timewave Zero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ng7hG11ekM
If anyone has it in them to do an idiot-proof breakdown of the whole debate I'd be all ears. My personal instinct, with my limited understanding, is actually against TZ.
I do intuit that he was onto *something* with it, though. In his near-desperate attempt to bring the unspeakable meaning of hyperspace to the world he came up with TZ. Perhaps it was a fool's endeavor. His brother, Dennis, thinks it was, thinks that Terence and the whole premise of "The Invisible Landscape" (in which he outlines TZ) is wrong at its core. They were a hell of a yin-yang pair, Terence being the quixotic philosopher and Dennis the quintessential scientist. I think that for all his self-admitted faults Terence was a path-setter like absolutely no one else in history, and it was because he followed the wildest dreams of the psilocybin and DMT experience and believed in what he was seeing, even if he couldn't wrap a rational mind around it; he brought it to the public anyway. In doing so he invoked notions of extraterrestrials and "machine elves," and he was criticized by friends for that, but all he was doing was trying to name the unnameable; it wasn't exactly literal. Furthermore, he never said with certainty that psychedelic mushrooms were from outer space, but he mentioned it as a theory, and noted that this was something that the mushroom told him verbally in a conversation he had with it. This is imo the most fascinating aspect of what TM experienced was the actual English-language communicative relationship that he developed with the mushroom later in his life. I don't doubt it for a second.
If I fault him much for anything it would be for emphasizing Timewave Zero too much- if you're wrong, even if you say you might be, it makes you look bad. I think it was born at least partially out of a desire to produce *something* grand for the world, some sort of master thesis... when one may not be called for. I also think Terence was a little politically naive at times, though if he were alive today post 9/11 that could have changed.
On the other hand the thing I like most about him was his continued emphasis on encouraging other people to explore hyperspace dimensions and not take his word for anything. "No one is smarter than you are!" However awkwardly worded, I think what he was getting at is right on. Dive into hyperspace, think 100% for yourself, don't worry about giving your experience context or listening to what other people are saying about it- what do YOU see?

Re the cell phone cancer theory- I'm a little lost... now everyone uses cell phones constantly, and we're not all dropping dead of cancer in our early 50's (more like our early 80's). Do you think early cell phones were more carcinogenic for some reason?
wordspeak2

Postby wordspeak2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:53 am

Oh yeah, of course I've seen those classic Alien Dreamtime clips. "The three enemies of humanity are hegemony, monogamy, and monotony. Very poetic. And, of course, "I smoked this stuff, and I went to another place... it didn't seem like a different state of mind; it seems like another place." And therein lies the bizarre reality of DMT- the unspeakable is undeniable. There's *something else* out there. Or in here. Or out there and in here are the same thing, but there is something Other than us.
wordspeak2

Postby wordspeak2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 am

Btw, speaking of possible sabotage of McKenna (from Wikipedia)-

On February 7, 2007, McKenna's library of rare books and personal notes was destroyed in a fire which burned offices belonging to Big Sur's Esalen Institute which was storing the collection. An index maintained by his brother Dennis survives, though little else.[19]
wordspeak2

Postby 3×5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 pm

This is exactly what the singularity is going to be like:

3×5

Postby wordspeak2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Nice, I'm looking forward to this.
wordspeak2

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Man oh man 3x5.

You sure know how to stir the heart of a man.

Thank you so much for the Shamen.

I always, always loved the shamen.

You know, I am sure I recall saying somewhere to expect a bumpy ride.

Feel the connection with Gaia! I love it!

Earth and Sky!

With us in the centre, stuck in middle earth!

:lovehearts: :angelwings: :lovehearts:

Hammer of Los

Return to The Lounge & Member News