Somebody .... make me stop!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Somebody .... make me stop!

Postby Nordic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 am

I have found myself delving into this place, almost involuntarily.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/

It's like Democratic Underground all over again.

NO! Make me STOP!

It wouldn't be too hard to take this place over.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Somebody .... make me stop!

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 am

'Like'

Ugh, I think I've been playing in Facebook too long, I keep looking for teh 'Like' button on RI :clown
§ê¢rꆧ

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm

raid!
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Project Willow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:15 pm

§ê¢rꆧ wrote:'Like'

Ugh, I think I've been playing in Facebook too long, I keep looking for teh 'Like' button on RI :clown

Remember when there were prohibitions against "ditto" posts?

Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Nordic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Whew! Got sucked right in there late last night.

Managed to escape. Having to wait a minute or more between posts helped. Gave me a moment to think "why am I doing this again?". And "haven't I been through this before in the past"?

And it also made me realize how astoundingly high the level of knowledge is here. I've grown accustomed to this place. Out in the "real world" like that (using the term extremely loosely) its incredible how the vast majority of people are frighteningly uninformed.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Project Willow wrote:
§ê¢rꆧ wrote:'Like'

Remember when there were prohibitions against "ditto" posts?

I love that! So where's the "share" button here?
Nordic

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 pm

I think it's because probably a lot of us here were early adopters of the "common Internet" with connections to when it wasn't so common and were lucky to find one another via outrage and empowerment that we sought out ourself. I can speak for myself and say that doing it yourself was much better. I'm 37 and way too old for this FB bullshit. Not because I am too old -- many people older than me and my age are FBing it up, but it doesn't improve anything about what I, MYSELF, want out of the Internet. It does too much. Not that I can't handle it were I to dive in. But I know how the Internet has worked for me going on 20 years and this is what I expect out of it.

Remember when ICQ was a fucking miracle? I sure do. Remember when BBS's were a fucking miracle? I sure do. Remember shell accounts at early Internet cafes? Remember gopher? Remember LYNX?

RI is a moderated and friendly old school hybrid of ICQ and Newsgroups of like feelings due to the various writings of Jeff and the other bloggers for the day who brought us here. And we're still alive! We did each other. We're like the elders and shit at this point that the youth don't respect and the head honchos hate because we use the Internet largely for communicating.

Shit today doesn't have the chance to evolve on its own, because there are "apps for that" to make it more simple. Great. But the true beauty of the Internet is in trying to learn about it. Plug and play is great, but it basically sucks because it takes one's one intellect out of experiencing it. It's just a thing you turn on anymore and as long as you pay your bill, it is expected to work seamlessly. This was never the case for my last 20 years. I appreciate it. But troubleshooting is where it's at, yo!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Nordic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 am

Shit. I just put up my first post over there. Damn.

I may have to have someone go over there, change my password and not tell me what it is.
Nordic

Postby wordspeak2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:13 am

On the contrary, Nordic, you're our perfect rep to go FSU!!! Take no prisoners.
wordspeak2

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:13 pm

No Platform. Conspiracy theories, will be removed immediately and the spammer will receive a swift global network ban. Fascist propaganda, will be treated with the similar actions. In that we are very specific about what fascism is: the word has a meaning.

Have you seen their rule page? Is there anything you're actually allowed to talk about? I reckon I'd last about three words before getting one of thoe "swift global network ban"s.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Nordic » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 pm

No, of course I never looked at their Rules page.

:rofl2

I wonder what passes as "conspiracy theories" there. Guess I could find out by posting a few. BWAH HA HA!!!

That might make me get off of their pronto.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:53 pm

HA! Right now I'm at the top of the "best comments of the day" column. I wasn't looking for it, just thought I'd see what the best comments were and thought "that looks familiar".

They have some rule there where you can't post too fast, which is really annoying, because I type really freaking fast. Just as well, it helps keep me off of there.
Nordic

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 am

Stephen Morgan wrote:
No Platform. Conspiracy theories, will be removed immediately and the spammer will receive a swift global network ban. Fascist propaganda, will be treated with the similar actions. In that we are very specific about what fascism is: the word has a meaning.

Have you seen their rule page? Is there anything you're actually allowed to talk about? I reckon I'd last about three words before getting one of thoe "swift global network ban"s.

How, about a rule banning, indiscriminate use of, commas?

Just, sayin'.

Fascist propaganda, will be treated with the similar actions.

What is the author's mother tongue? Martian?
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Nordic » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:28 am

Yeah, what's up with that? I thought the OWS people all had high-falutin' and useless College Educations!
Nordic

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 am

Nordic wrote:Yeah, what's up with that? I thought the OWS people all had high-falutin' and useless College Educations!

I'm sure they're all very well-eduated about the parallels between the cinematography of the Alien franchise and the psychological phenomenon of birth trauma. They just aren't trained to write about it. I've mentioned before that I'm doing a university education myself, I just scrawl gibberish and pass. I've learned nothing! Well, Latin, I've learned a bit of that, but studying archaeology, history, the law and a general arts course I've learned nothing.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News