an X-Files concordance...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

an X-Files concordance...

Postby justdrew » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:52 am

I mentioned elsewhere, I've been slowly watching the old X-files episodes. First time I've seen many of them, and only second viewing for ones I had seen back in thee days of yore. It's fairly "bad" much of the time. but... well.. ya know.

Anyway, it's tempting to put together a concordance of the x-files, laying out all the "real" stuff episodes are based on. Oh yeah, the "beach boxes" are right in the area where the 1st episode was set.

For instance, season 4, ep 16: it's totally about Mike Echanis.

The fictional background of Hwa Rang Do, is interesting example of how myth-in-reality is built up. I guess it's not that uncommon in the fighting arts. but does anyone really believe the current head/creator is the 58th head of his art? I guess it's important to be able to lay claim to a lineage.

It would be interesting to hear how it came to be that a very young Echanis got into this then obscure martial art, and ended up a highly placed instructor in the US special forces, where he "marketed" Hwa Rang Do.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: an X-Files concordance...

Postby Harvey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:14 pm

It's not The Wire, (modern Shakespeare in other words) but the scope of X-Files is similarly ambitious in metaphysical terms.

Behind it all one senses the personal revelations of the writer/creator Chris Carter. References to real events are just one layer, the story lines themselves are another, the revelatory journey that Scully makes toward gnosis is another, and for Mulder the revelatory journey is something different again. The Monster of the Week episodes are much more fun than the more monolithic story arc episodes, but the arc stuff does become very interesting, especially through it's later workings. And don't neglect series 8 and 9, hugely under-rated.
Last edited by Harvey on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Re: an X-Files concordance...

Postby Nordic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:17 pm

That damn show. Pretty much everything I ever wanted to write screenplays about was mined by them first!

I hate them. I love them. I hate them ...
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to The Lounge & Member News