The Wrecking Crew

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Wrecking Crew

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 am

Elvis wrote:Soooo....."The Wrecking Crew" film's website is holding a "cover contest" that calls for videos of people playing one of 12 selected songs that the Wrecking Crew played on.

I chose "Wichita Lineman" but forgot to tell my bandmates anything about it until two days before the deadline. They agreed to whip it together........here's our hastily produced entry:

Interestingly, out of 16 entries, seven chose to do Wichita Lineman! I didn't expect that.

Soooo... mumble... I kind of want to win this contest. I think our rendition of Wichita Lineman has some special qualities that make it a contender. :tongout The contest is decided by voting.

They haven't said what the prize will be, and I don't really care. Although in their last contest, the prize was a really cool new guitar. :coolshades

Did I mention the contest is decided by voting? I would never tell anyone to vote, or not vote, or how to vote. I'm just saying. I'm not going to beg. But please please please oh god pleeeeeease go to this page and consider voting?:

http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/videocontest.php :lovehearts:

Terrific subtlety! Hats off to everyone, especially the drummer, as that's a really difficult feel to pull off.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Thu May 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Bruce, thanks, truly, I'll pass that compliment along to the band, they'll appreciate it! And yeah John the drummer is great, always there. He's also a walking encyclopedia of 'Wrecking Crew' music and other music of the era. He sings a vocal version of Wichita Lineman but we decided to go with the instrumental, to be "different."

FourthBase, right on!...so much terrific music from those people. I considered doing "The Beat Goes On" and eventually want to cover it. One of the video clips shows how 'wrecking crew' bassist Carol Kaye made that song what it is with the trademark bass line she came up with in the studio.

Drew and Allegro (and whoever else may have voted) -- thanks for voting! If I win, I'll see what I can do about your taxes. :mrgreen:

Drew, I loved all the Wichita Lineman renditions, thanks! Got some ideas from the soul versions, haha. It's an unusual song and I always like hearing how people interpret it. That in mind, and considering Jimmy Webb as a "Wrecking Crew composer"---so many of his hits were recorded by the Wrecking Crew---here's one of my favorite arrangements (with cheesy backing tracks, but that's the way of the basement pedal steel artists):

Thanks to all who listened to/watched our video. I'm having fun. We're doing a lot of "spy themes" lately...presently working out the TV theme to "Get Smart"---recorded orginally by guess who?---the Wrecking Crew!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby justdrew » Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm

did someone mention my specie-ality? spy themes?

no horns, no bongos...
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby justdrew » Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 am

elvis, here's a rare one that a lot could be done with...

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News