Help Me To Organize My Bookmarks

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Help Me To Organize My Bookmarks

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

There's hundreds of them, all in one big list. I made a few subject folders (McCanns, RI, Music, Comedy, etc.) to try and categorize the fuckers, but now I have to move each bookmark individually to it's subject folder? One at a time? Seriously?

I'm using Firefox. Surely there is a simple app or plug-in that will let me move my bookmarks about in groups or in bulk selections, or better yet will let me choose which subject folder they should be stored in when I first choose to save them?

I realise that this is the very definition of First World Problems, but I really need the sympathy, guidance, and advice of the good people here in order to organize my bookmarks and bring a sense of peace back into my life.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help Me To Organize My Bookmarks

Postby Freitag » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Firefox lets you tag bookmarks at the time you save them (of course if you haven't been doing that, you'd have to do it retroactively.)

I have tags like "health", "reading material" (longform stuff I'll save as a text file and put on my ebook reader), "humor", etc. I also have a range of "Fuck ___" tags, similar to all the "Fuck ___" titled threads here at RI. It's a weird coincidence, because I didn't get the idea from RI, I guess it's just a natural reaction to most of the news these days.
Freitag

Postby Simulist » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 pm

I had the exact same problem, Ahab. So you know what? I decided just to delete them, about two months ago. :shock:

And I've never missed them.

Surprised me.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Freitag wrote:Firefox lets you tag bookmarks at the time you save them (of course if you haven't been doing that, you'd have to do it retroactively.)

Fuuuuuuu.... Why was I not told this? I probably was told, of course, at some point, and ignored it... but still - my own wilful stupidity should be no bar against me getting exactly what I want all the time!

Thanks for the info, though, Freitag. I will have to set a day aside purely to categorise all the kiech I have accumulated.

Freitag wrote:I also have a range of "Fuck ___" tags, similar to all the "Fuck ___" titled threads here at RI. It's a weird coincidence, because I didn't get the idea from RI, I guess it's just a natural reaction to most of the news these days.

Perfectly natural. I'll be making one of those too.

Simulist wrote:I had the exact same problem, Ahab. So you know what? I decided just to delete them, about two months ago. :shock:

And I've never missed them.

Surprised me.

But what if I get in an argument about the Cavalese cable car disaster or the UN Convention on the Laws of the Sea and I can't back it up?!

This stuff matters.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Simulist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 am

Well, that's true. But then again, people are rarely convinced by facts — but that they want to believe something to be true.

(Someone said that once, but somehow I lost the bookmark. ;) )
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Project Willow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 am

I use the toolbar.

Go to View -> toolbars -> click on bookmarks toolbar.

Then right click on the toolbar itself. Choose new folder. Name it with a particular category and put all the associated links in it, and so on.

Next time you're surfing and want to bookmark a page just click and drag its favicon to the appropriate folder on your toolbar.

I have 16 folders on my toolbar, the least oft accessed is Articles to read, the most is Social.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justdrew » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:29 am

If you do "Show All Bookmarks" from the bookmark menu, you'll find you can control-click/shift-click and move groups of bookmarks into subfolders.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 am

Simulist wrote:Well, that's true. But then again, people are rarely convinced by facts — but that they want to believe something to be true.

That's true. FACT.

justdrew wrote:If you do "Show All Bookmarks" from the bookmark menu, you'll find you can control-click/shift-click and move groups of bookmarks into subfolders.

I'm now realising that I don't even understand what tags are, and what they do, in this situation. But I will be able to figure it out, I think. If I can Ctrl click multiple bookmarks from multiple different places on the big list and either tag them or drag them into separate folders the problem will be approaching solution. It will still take a while though.

Project Willow wrote:I use the toolbar.

Go to View -> toolbars -> click on bookmarks toolbar.

Then right click on the toolbar itself. Choose new folder. Name it with a particular category and put all the associated links in it, and so on.

So I can make my own folders on the toolbar at the top of the screen, where I have the likes of Youtube and RI stored, and I can drag the pages I am currently reading onto these folders to make bookmarks? That seems a lot easier than the mewthod that they didn't bother telling me to use. I can do that. It works.

Project Willow wrote:the least oft accessed is Articles to read

I probably would read some of the articles I have bookmarked if I could find them again, but there is also a good chance that I wouldn't. A lot of this stuff is probably shite. The Youtubes need culling for a start. But I think I know which way I'm headed now. Cheers everybody.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Stephen Morgan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 am

Ctrl-Shift-O
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to The Lounge & Member News