the Color Test ...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

the Color Test ...

Postby justdrew » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 am

just found a reference to something called "the color test" - in a 1980 Art Garfunkle movie of all places. It was just a prop, but vaguely "rang a bell"

Turns out there's an online version now, I found it eerily accurate. There's a number of site with some version of this, but the linked one seems "best"

To take this short test you will select colors from a group. Pick the color that makes you feel the best when you look at it first, then repeat the process for the remaining colors until none of them are left.
http://colorquiz.com/quiz.php

This test is based on the work of Dr. Max Lûscher and is used worldwide, most notably in Europe, by psychologists, doctors, government agencies, and universities to screen their candidates. Since the 1950's the test has been given to hundreds of thousands of people.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: the Color Test ...

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 am

I had a high school teacher who introduced us to the Luscher color test. I still have the paperback somewhere which came with a set of cards. I remember thinking it was uncannily accurate.

Strangely enough when I just took the test at the link it seems way off. Like for instance this:

Your Desired Objective
"Highly optimistic and outgoing personality. Loves to learn new and exciting things, and craves new interests. Looking for a well-rounded life full of success and new experiences. Does not allow himself to be overcome with negative thoughts or self-doubt. Takes life head on, with enthusiasm. "

At least at first blush this is not accurate. If I thought about it long enough I might find a way to shove the square peg that is me into that round hole.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:10 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:I had a high school teacher who introduced us to the Luscher color test. I still have the paperback somewhere which came with a set of cards. I remember thinking it was uncannily accurate.

Strangely enough when I just took the test at the link it seems way off. Like for instance this:

Your Desired Objective
"Highly optimistic and outgoing personality. Loves to learn new and exciting things, and craves new interests. Looking for a well-rounded life full of success and new experiences. Does not allow himself to be overcome with negative thoughts or self-doubt. Takes life head on, with enthusiasm. "

At least at first blush this is not accurate. If I thought about it long enough I might find a way to shove the square peg that is me into that round hole.

the above linked site gave remarkable results, but then I tried a different one, and it was mostly off by a large amount. I wonder if it's one of those things that only works when in the ideal frame of mind, first time I just clicked off the colors not even thinking about it, waited , did the second pass with no memory of the first. but for me at least that 'fresh mind' approach may be difficult to achieve again. (and there's not much need to do it again anyway)

Anyway, thanks for your personal story about "the color test" - a cultural artifact worth knowing about I guess.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Project Willow » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Partially right, partially wrong, but these things are always entertaining.

Your Existing Situation
"Inclined to choose luxurious things, which are gratifying to the senses. Turned off by things which are tacky and tasteless."

It thinks I'm rich. I am meticulous about my surroundings, not out of a need for luxury, but visual order and enjoyment. If creating that were dependent on money, I'd really be miserable.

Your Stress Sources
"Feels empty and isolated from others and wishes to overcome this feeling. Believes life has more to offer her than what she was experienced thus far, and doesn't want to miss out on anything. she purses all her goals and dreams, fearful that any missed opportunity will cause her to miss out on even more. Quickly becomes an expert in any field she pursues and can sometimes come off as overbearing and nosy."

Yeah, sort of.

Your Restrained Characteristics
Current events leave her feeling forced into compromise in order to avoid being cut off from affection or future cooperation.
Giving more than she is getting back and feels misunderstood and unappreciated. Feels she is being forced into compromising and even her close relationships leave her feeling emotional distant.
Is bothered when her needs and desires are misunderstood and she feels there is no one to turn to or rely on. her self-centered attitude can cause her to be easily offended.

Alright, don't everyone laugh at once.

"Seeking to broaden her horizons and believes her hopes and dreams are realistic. Worries she may not be able to do the things she wants and needs to escape to a peaceful, quiet environment in order to restore her confidence."

Yeah, I would like to live without a murderous criminal network occasionally reminding me to keep my mouth shut.

Your Desired Objective
"Has a strong desire for the finer things of life. Finds comfort in her over-indulgent, lavish, and often luxurious lifestyle."

What the hell, I can't even pay my light bill.

:shrug:
:partyhat
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Simulist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 pm

It was fun. Some of the points were pretty right on I suppose, but probably no more so than the "hits" I might accumulate from fortune cookies.

(Still, the color test has no carbs.)

Project Willow wrote:What the hell, I can't even pay my light bill.

In a world where ketchup is a vegetable, light bulbs are an indulgence.*

Simulist

Postby Nordic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 am

Current events leave him feeling forced
into compromise in order to avoid
being cut off from affection or future
cooperation.

Feels trapped in a helpless situation
and is desperately seeking relief. He is
able to find pleasure and happiness in
sexual activity.

Wha ...!?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby compared2what? » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:39 am

I think that means you don't like the color yellow.
compared2what?

Postby Project Willow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:25 am

Yellow is my favorite color.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Simulist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Mine, too. Black was my last choice.

(Not that I don't like black. I do. It was just my final choice on the test, as I followed its instructions.)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby 82_28 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Welp. Fits me to a T. . .

Your Existing Situation

"Is reckless and short-tempered. His decisions are made with little thought out the consequences, often times leading to unnecessary stress and conflict."
Your Stress Sources

"Vulnerable and impressionable and prone to learning new things. Fantasizes of building a perfect relationship with another full of love, trust, and deep understanding. Needs to know people are sincere as he is far to trusting and fears being used and hurt. Needs to know where he stands in relationships."

Giving more than he is getting back and feels misunderstood and unappreciated. Feels he is being forced into compromising and even his close relationships leave him feeling emotional distant.

Giving more than he is getting back and feels misunderstood and unappreciated. Feels he is being forced into compromising and even his close relationships leave him feeling emotional distant.

Current situation is leaving him doubtful and cautions about becoming intimately involved with others.

Your Desired Objective

Feels hopeless and depressed and looking for some relief. Wants to feel safe physically and emotionally and a chance to recover from the depression that he feels.
Your Actual Problem

Harshly critical of the existing situation which he believes is disorganized and unclear. Seeking some sort of solution which will make the situation more clear and with some sort of organization.
Your Actual Problem #2

"Feeling held back and restricted from moving forward, looking for a solution that will give him more freedom and less obstacles."
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby marycarnival » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Found my test results to be incredibly accurate...I am an emotionally messed-up individual...

Your Actual Problem #2

"Is disappointed and let down, feels there is no point in making new goals as they will leave her feeling the same way. Looking for friendly, pleasant relationships with others, who will further develop her intellect. she tries to escape into a fantasy world where things go her way and her desires are easier to reach."

Woohoo! :happybanana:
marycarnival

Postby Nordic » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Nordic wrote:

Current events leave him feeling forced
into compromise in order to avoid
being cut off from affection or future
cooperation.

Feels trapped in a helpless situation
and is desperately seeking relief. He is
able to find pleasure and happiness in
sexual activity.

Wha ...!?

Confession: this describes the me of 20 years ago to a frighteningly accurate degree. I admit this grudgingly. This reponse was actually a bit shocking to me based on just choosing some freaking colors, but perhaps its just extremely typical behavior for a rather large cross section of people.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to The Lounge & Member News