Movie scenes that make you cry

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Movie scenes that make you cry

Postby chump » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Simulist wrote:
chump wrote:These days I find myself in my mother's home; doing what has to be done. The house is lonely quiet; a hollow reminder of happier days gone by.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that, C.

Thank you. I appreciate your sentiment, but Hey! I didn't mean it like that! My mother died awhile ago; and while I'm sad that she is gone, she was an old, old lady who lived a long, mostly happy and unbelievably exciting life, until the very end - when she died peacefully in her home.

I think I was trying to explain, perhaps to myself, why I happened to be watching Strong Country on HBO in the middle of the day. I refuse to pay for it at my house, but have to admit that, once in a great while, I see a show that I was glad to have watched.

Knock on wood, I know I've been lucky. I felt for the kid... His seemed like a hopeless situation. He has his youth, but obviously sometimes, life just isn't fair. I was glad to hear that he seems to be doing better - and touched that he's reaching out and helping others.

Oh-h-h... That reminds me. I found another tearjerker. The part at about 2:00 really got to me.

chump

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jeff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 am

Project Willow wrote:At the end of Magnolia, when the camera pans over to her artwork on the wall and zooms in to the collage text: "But it did happen."

That was an extraordinary moment.

If a film shakes me with some beauty or truth I'm usually in tears afterwards. Individual scenes usually have to take me by surprise. Though revisiting them, or even just thinking about them, can also make me cry. The first time I remember that happening was seeing Citizen Kane at maybe 14 with no Rosebud spoiler. How tragic. And my eyes are wet through the entire second half of Night of the Hunter, always. I'm just so happy those kids found Lillian Gish.

These scenes took me unaware and overwhelmed me, and still do.:

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Great stuff.

I must admit I got choked up at Titanic, but no tears.

Hereafter got me going, with that twin begging his dead brother not to go. Had me crying long after I left the theatre.

The end of Plague Dogs had me blubbering like you wouldn't believe.
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Chaplin's sentimentality usually doesn't work on me, but this always does.

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Nordic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 am

Two movies that left me just completely destroyed and speechless .... can't remember if I cried or not, I very well may have:

Gallipoli

Sophie's Choice

I don't think I could speak for quite a good long time after seeing both of those. Tears may have actually come later, like in real life (for me at least).
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 am

This scene perfectly crystallizes my dreams growing up.

Just a wonderful moment.

And here's some of your standard, manipulative schlock that, never the less, always makes me leak.

And the final scene of The Goodbye Girl.

Yup.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am

I'm a sappy frikin' mess this morning. :jumping:

If anyone's ever seen Ladyhawke, that scene where they almost touch gets me every damn time.

~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby Alf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Alf

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Alf wrote:

Oh yeah. That's one of the few things that really gets me.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Canadian_watcher » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:44 am

Reminds me of my Dad. He was a great man, when all is said and done.* :lol:

* I mean, next day he was fine, usually.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 am

82_28 wrote:Full disclosure and don't fucking make fun of me or else I'll pull out my fuckity-fucks and get banned or something.

Titanic. Yes, Titanic. No idea why other than just the shivering Jack slipping into the frigid sea after expressing his love, the band playing on, everyone struggling and alone with no technology to save them, having the hots for Winslet back then and then the old lady throwing the necklace or whatever into the sea. I've only seen that shit once.

When I left the theater, I burst into tears. Thinking of all the panic and such. . .

No shame in that 82, I only recently saw Titanic for the first time. It's very effective, for want of a better word, especially the terror and destruction scenes. I only saw the second half, so had to build my sympathy for Jack and Kate Winslet purely on the action scenes, and that was actually very easy to do. It's a well-made film. Surprisingly accurate as well ( apart from the offensive portrayal of First Officer William McMaster).

And Jack and Kate obviously loved each other deeply, in defiance of the clear and present danger, and the ever-encroaching spectre of imminent death, and stayed loyal and true despite the evil machinations of that other guy who shaved too well and his Pinkerton pal and waaaahahaha aaah.... Just hold me!

Aye, I admit it, I too sat there and pissed my eyes out to the last half of Titanic, having believed for many years beforehand that it was just a silly romance flick for lassies that I would have no real interest in.

It's a really good film.

Would weep again.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
82_28 wrote:Full disclosure and don't fucking make fun of me or else I'll pull out my fuckity-fucks and get banned or something.

Titanic. Yes, Titanic. No idea why other than just the shivering Jack slipping into the frigid sea after expressing his love, the band playing on, everyone struggling and alone with no technology to save them, having the hots for Winslet back then and then the old lady throwing the necklace or whatever into the sea. I've only seen that shit once.

When I left the theater, I burst into tears. Thinking of all the panic and such. . .

No shame in that 82, I only recently saw Titanic for the first time. It's very effective, for want of a better word, especially the terror and destruction scenes. I only saw the second half, so had to build my sympathy for Jack and Kate Winslet purely on the action scenes, and that was actually very easy to do. It's a well-made film. Surprisingly accurate as well ( apart from the offensive portrayal of First Officer William McMaster).

And Jack and Kate obviously loved each other deeply, in defiance of the clear and present danger, and the ever-encroaching spectre of imminent death, and stayed loyal and true despite the evil machinations of that other guy who shaved too well and his Pinkerton pal and waaaahahaha aaah.... Just hold me!

Aye, I admit it, I too sat there and pissed my eyes out to the last half of Titanic, having believed for many years beforehand that it was just a silly romance flick for lassies that I would have no real interest in.

It's a really good film.

Would weep again.

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:51 pm

You can tell he worked really hard on that Bruce. :lol:
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Ha. Just remembered another one that got to me. I'm embarrassed to admit it. "Always".

Don't laugh or I'll kick your ass! While I cry!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News