Movie scenes that make you cry

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Movie scenes that make you cry

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Reading "10 Random Facts..." thread had some talking about movie scenes that made them cry. I was going to point that out in my own 10 facts but couldn't settle on one. I realized there were more than a couple of scenes that get the ol' waterworks going.

Every time I watch The Abyss, the scene where Ed Harris and the others try to revive Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's character after she drowns herself in the mini-sub and she and Ed swim back to base. There is such an air of realism to that scene, an intensity, it gets me every time.

Bridge to Terabithia. When Robert Patrick chases his son and consoles him (SPOILER ALERT) after his female friend dies. I thought it was so touchy the way Robert holds him and tells him "No, you're not going to go to hell." Once again, just a level of humanity that is almost sublime. It gets my teary-eyed just thinking about it. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful acting. Too bad there wasn't an Academy award for best acting in a scene, Robert Patrick would've been my nominee. :D

And of course when Spock died. This may be cheesy or false sentiment, but something about it just gets to me every time. I don't know how many times I watch Wrath of Khan, I can't help it. Especially when Capt. Kirk lets out a small exasperating "no." Call me sappy or soft, it's sad.
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Movie scenes that make you cry

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm

one line comes to me immediately:

"I'm FINE! I can run all the way to Texas and back but my DAUGHTER CAN'T!"

Steel Magnolias. Sue me, I'm cliche. (how the heck does one create the e accent aigu with a laptop??)
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby DrVolin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:05 pm

When Vito Andolini sits in his quarantine cell at Ellis Island and starts singing. Gets me every time. I can just picture my grandfahter.
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby Peregrine » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 pm

every time.
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby Nordic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:59 am

The movie "Fly Away Home" did it for me.

Also "Shadowlands".
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Project Willow » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:27 am

If I'm lucky I cry at a movie. It most often means the movie has caused an identification with some neglected internal issue that needed my attention. There are too many to list (movies). The following came to mind when I considered this venue and my memory of discussing movies here.

At the end of Magnolia, when the camera pans over to her artwork on the wall and zooms in to the collage text: "But it did happen."

In Jane Eyre (doesn't seem to matter much which version) when she returns home to visit her dying aunt, and the garden scene when he says, "Say: 'Edward, give me my name.'"

Because I am a fool like she and I carry a fool's hope, even at my age, which is so pathetically foolish.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Allegro » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Project Willow wrote:...the movie has caused an identification with some neglected internal issue that needed my attention.
After several years, why did I remember a particular movie, and why now?

I watched last night the movie Powder, and I hadn’t remembered the scenes in which Powder was physically touched by people who showed attention and love for him. I wept each time like the first time I saw the movie. Powder was in the extreme peculiar, but human, too.

Powder showed metaphoric parallels to lives of some artistic creatives, and those similarities that show up finally in artistic creatives’ innate intentions and works produced are reminders of those who would simulate, as did the sheriff who in the film might’ve understood for a while but out of fear felt he had to revert to behaviors easiest and common to his personal preferences.

So, I feel viewing Powder again has been an alert for being more circumspect within those artistically intuitive capacities many of us have been trained to hold dear.
Thanks, Jeff.

^ Powder | Mary Steenburgen, Sean Patrick Flanery, Jeff Goldblum,
    among others
Last edited by Allegro on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby marycarnival » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Second the Steel Magnolias scene...as well as Magnolia

Also...

Various scenes in The Color Purple...that one's a real weeper for me
The scene in Harold and Maude where you see her concentration camp tattoo
The big reunion concert scene from Still Crazy when the estranged guitarist joins them onstage
About half the scenes in Babe...I'm a sucker for the animal movies...

Oh, and I totally cried when they did 'Rainbow Connection' in the new Muppets movie...
marycarnival

Postby norton ash » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm

It's a Wonderful Life.I even cried in a film theory class while my Marxist friends sneered at me.

The Marseillaise in Casablanca. RESISTANCE.

The Black Stallion.
Babe
Field of Dreams.

Up --the sequential flashbacks, the smashing the change jar, climbing the hill, as the couple ages. Beautiful.

I could go on and on. I'm a cheap weep.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby chump » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:22 pm

chump

Postby Simulist » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:26 am

One sure-fire way to make me cry is to show me the last minutes of A River Runs Through It.

The prose is so beautiful, the music, and Robert Redford's narration of it is just so poetic. And it is all... so very true.

The selection I'm talking about begins 38 seconds into this clip:

Norman Maclean wrote:"Now nearly all those that I loved, and did not understand in my youth are dead, even Jesse. But I still reach out to them. Of course, now I'm too old to be much of a fisherman. And now I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't.

"But... when I'm alone in the half light of the canyon, all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

"Eventually, all things merge into one — and a river runs through it.

"The river was cut by the world's Great Flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the Words, and some of the words are theirs... I am haunted by waters."
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 am

norton ash wrote: Up --the sequential flashbacks, the smashing the change jar, climbing the hill, as the couple ages. Beautiful.

yes. that is an amazing scene.
you guys are much better at recalling these things than I.

BTW Nordic, I was on the set of Fly Away Home. (as an extra in the crowd of reporters on the beach). The goose wrangling was the coolest thing to watch.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby chump » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 pm

These days I find myself in my mother's home; doing what has to be done. The house is lonely quiet; a hollow reminder of happier days gone by. So I turn on the TV, just for a little noise as I am doing some things around the house. She had HBO, and I never turned it off. So, though I'm not really watching, a lot of movies are playing that, otherwise, I never would have seen at all.

Today, it was a movie named Country Strong . . The movie was terrible, and I wasn't paying attention - except that it was the ridiculous story of a fame addled, drug addicted, alcoholic country singer (Gwyneth Paltrow)... Like I said, I left it on for the noise.

Suddenly a scene appeared that caught my eye with a tear within. In the movie, the main character was apparently visiting the children's cancer ward to cheer a little boy up.

Gabe Sipos is 'Country Strong'

... When your life starts out in front of the camera as the 2002 Nashville New Year’s baby, a Hollywood red carpet appearance is only natural.

On the heels of his first movie appearance, 8-year-old Gabe Sipos shakes off a walk down the red carpet in Hollywood as just something “very cool” that happened in his lifetime. The red carpet event, held during the second week of December, was to mark the limited release of the movie “Country Strong” starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Tim McGraw and featuring Gabe as “Travis.” The limited release in Los Angeles, Nashville and Franklin, Tenn., precedes the national release of the movie on Jan. 7, 2011.

According to the young Spring Hill resident, he said participating in the movie was, in a word, “exciting.” He plays a Make-A-Wish child who is stricken with cancer – not so much of a stretch from the real world. Gabe was diagnosed with cancer just a few days shy of his first birthday, but today is six years cancer-free.

Gabe’s mom choked back a few emotions as she watched her son play the role he knew so very intimately in real life. “It was so hard to see him like that again,” she said.

Although he continues to have surgeries as his body grows, Gabe is now a healthy kid, who goes to public school every day and enjoys building a Lego village to rival any model city in the country. He is a typical kid who just happens to have a speaking role in one of the latest movies to hit the big screen, currently sweeping the nation.

Parents Rob and Lu Sipos have done a great job of keeping their little man focused on a being a typical child. In fact, Rob and Lu had several conversations with Gabe prior to attending the movie premiere in Hollywood. The movie deals with adult themes. His mom said, “We talked about how grown up it was.” She told him there would be some swearing in the movie and that things sometimes get complicated for adults. Then she used her hands to cover her eyes, saying, “We did a few times during the movie.”...

... Gabe Sipos and his battle with cancer are the inspiration behind his the nonprofit organization named Gabe’s My Heart, featuring Chemo Duck – a stuffed duck with a working chemo port. Visit http://www.chemoduck.org for information.

Posted on: 12/30/2010

Hug a dog, Squeeze a duck

... Chemo Duck is a 12-inch stuffed duck, dressed in hospital pajamas and a bandana wrapped around his head. Secured to his chest is a bandage with either a central line or a port (the vehicle used to take chemotherapy directly into the blood stream). And on his arm he wears an arm immobilizer called a "No-no." The arm immobilizer protects peripheral IVs and discourages children from bending the arm to pull at bandages, etc. The stuffed animal is a both a comfort item and a teaching tool used to familiarize the patient with cancer protocol and procedures.

For Lu Sipos, it's an endeavor fueled by her heart and a way to help other pediatric cancer patients the way her own son was helped. Soon after Gabe Sipos was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma, a type of fibrous cancer, on Christmas Day in 2002, his mother dressed a favorite stuffed duck in hospital pajamas and a do-rag and added a central line.

"When a child becomes chronically ill, all parental roles are stripped and somebody else is in charge of your child's life," she said. "You don't have much to give as a parent. I changed the duck into a tool to help Gabe, and it gave me back my role as a parent.

"It empowered him and me," Sipos said. "It helped him understand what was coming up and helped him work through it all. He seemed to get more at ease over time and became much less nervous about all he was going through."

After sending her husband out to buy every duck he could find like the one Gabe received, she doctored the ducks to look like Gabe's and handed them out to other children in the hospital, until "eventually the money and the ducks ran out." Then, after Gabe was successfully treated at Children's Hospital, she created a non-profit organization called Gabe's My Heart.

Sipos has promised Children's Hospital 300 Chemo Ducks over the next two and one-half years. Another 200 are available through the organization's Web site, http://www.Gabesmyheart.com.

"Children's Hospital has been fantastic," she said. "We have very, very strong links to the hospital and owe them so much. They were so instrumental in helping us pilot this program."

Sipos and Gabe recently attended a party at Children's Hospital launching the beginning of the Chemo Duck giveaway. "It was a precious, precious moment seeing that kind of light in a child's eye," Sipos said. "One child told his mom, 'that duck's sick like me.' That's exactly what this is about - a strong bond with a friend, and helping parents educate their child."

Sipos is seeking more donations for her organization, and is applying for grants and looking for a major sponsor to take the project nationwide. "It's a dream," she says.

Meanwhile Gabe is doing well, two years after therapy, and has no signs of recurrence.
chump

Postby Simulist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 pm

chump wrote:These days I find myself in my mother's home; doing what has to be done. The house is lonely quiet; a hollow reminder of happier days gone by.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that, C.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Full disclosure and don't fucking make fun of me or else I'll pull out my fuckity-fucks and get banned or something.

Titanic. Yes, Titanic. No idea why other than just the shivering Jack slipping into the frigid sea after expressing his love, the band playing on, everyone struggling and alone with no technology to save them, having the hots for Winslet back then and then the old lady throwing the necklace or whatever into the sea. I've only seen that shit once.

When I left the theater, I burst into tears. Thinking of all the panic and such. . .

I think I may have cried some 15 years earlier when Han Solo was frozen in carbonite.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News