Happy Father's Day

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Happy Father's Day

Postby crikkett » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Today's Father's Day in the US.

Honors to Burnt Hill, Harvey, Nordic, Jeff, Joe Hillhoist, Bruce Dazzling (iirc?) any I may have forgotten and all, regardless.

Hip, Hip, :yay :yay :yay (hooray)
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: Happy Father's Day

Postby Simulist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Yep. Happy Father's Day to all the dads! :)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby crikkett » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 pm

+Stephen Morgan!
:yay:
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Peregrine » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Stephen's a dad?! :o
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby Peregrine » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, happy father's day fellas! 'spose I should give my pop a call... :)
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Cheers.

In Australia its in September, just before her birthday.

So crickett, officially you're the first person ever to wish me happy fathers day since my daughter was born.

:D thanks very much. :partyhat
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 pm

This is a song by Weddings, parties, anything... a legendary Australian band. Its about a divorced (or separated) dad who sees his son every Saturday.

My brother in law and I love this song, neither of us are in the same boat as him, but i've got a few friends who are.

I haven't always been a single man
And I haven't always lived up here
Along with all these other single men
With a ring around the bath and a cigarette butt in my beer

I haven't always been a lonely man
And I haven't always lived alone
As you know I haven't always drunk this much
But hey before you cut me down
Just try standing in my shoes
Because I don't have to hear one word of this, no

On any other day
I might care what you say
But every Saturday is Father's day
You might call it sad
You might call me mad
But I've got one who calls me Dad

And all the other blokes who live up here
Know how to leave a man alone
They're not a bad ol' bunch who live up here
Ah, but you know that it's not family, it's not home

What of the darling wife that once I had?
Well I'm pleased to say that she still talks to me
But I try not to think of what went wrong
Because if I say that i was right
She might say that she was right
And the only rights I care about are visiting rights, yeah

On any other day
I might care what you say
But every Saturday is Father's day
You might call it sad
You might call me mad
But I've got one who calls me Dad

We go where he wants to go (He calls me Dad)
We do what he wants to do (He calls me Dad)
I tell everything I know (He calls me Dad)
Cos I'd do anything to prove
Yeah, I'd do anything to prove

That every Saturday
I will do just what he says
Because every single Saturday is Father's day
You might call it sad
You might call me mad
But it don't feel so bad, when he calls me
You might call it sad
You might call me mad
But it don't feel half bad, when he calls me
You might call it sad
You might call me mad
But God I feel so great... when he calls me Dad

Yeah, he calls me Dad

I haven't always been a single man...
Joe Hillshoist

Postby barracuda » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 am

I got a new belt.
barracuda

Postby peartreed » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 am

From my Dad I have his ashes, an endless ache and a deep gratitude for his love.

From my children I received the latest techno tablet but, more than that, they filled it with photos of our life journey together, illustrating ourselves as shared souls.

From my grandchildren came a little faux trophy with a personalized plaque they had engraved with the endearment nickname they bestowed upon me with their first words.

I don’t know which moves me more, but they all manage to mist my eyes with inexpressible joy, wonder and profound appreciation for our little loving lineage.
peartreed

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:41 am

Well, Joe, I'll wish you a hpaay fathrs day s well. Here's to Joe!

Fatherhood is the greatest gift life has ever given me. That sounds selfish. Maybe i should say its just the greatest thing. Period.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 pm

barracuda wrote:I got a new belt.

Hahaha. Don't know why that made me LOL. Maybe just the brevity. I always used to get my dad on father's day a bottle of Old Spice and peanut M&M's. Every single father's day, same thing I think. However, my dad just did buy me a belt for Christmas a couple years ago and 1994 called and wanted it's jock in high school woven belt back.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby dada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm not a dad. I do live with my girlfriend and her kid, have been for around 7 1/2 years. I met him when he was just turning eight, and now he's fifteen. We get along famously. I had a step-dad from when I was six years old, an easy-going all around great guy that spoiled my brother and I as rotten as he could, and I take after him. Seeing this kid at fifteen, he's turning out so much better than I was at that age. I'd like to think I have something to do with it, but probably not. He's just a much cooler kid than I was.

He sees his dad, stepmom, step sister and new baby brother every other weekend, and we get him the rest of the time. They're christians. I bought him books about Buddha and Krishna and the gang when he started getting curious about the bigger questions, just to give him some wider perspective. No pressure from this end, just the facts. This year was the Hitchhikers Guide, and some Joseph Campbell for school. He's coming along just fine. He's into Minecraft, and we used to play Nintendo together, but he doesn't have so much time for that, now that he has a girlfriend.

Even though I do all the dad stuff, our relationship is not the same as the usual step dad/son thing. I'm more like some crazy old wizard that buys the groceries. He calls me George. I don't get a father's day present. I like it that way, actually. I like different.

My dad was hardly around, but when he was, man we had a great time. There was always this sense of urgency with him, like he was trying to squeeze all the juice out of every moment with my brother and I, and tell us everything at once. Now that he's gone, I understand that a little better. He used to take us to the Knights of Columbus bar in Canarsie, he'd drink, we'd play pacman. Also we'd go down to the shore one week a year, and I'd play more video games. Funny after he died, I got so into the games again. Like "hey dad, look how good I can do on the games!" He was a drummer, and also got me my first guitar. And here I am still playing. I could swear that I play for myself, but the psychology behind it is undeniable. I'll just say it's a happy coincidence that I enjoy the things that also happen to subconsciously be the things I do to impress my dad, and leave it at that.

But seriously, fuck father's day. We can't do anything about the drones maiming and killing indiscriminately? Than why should we be honored. Isn't dad supposed to do something about that? I don't know, it just bugs me. Pardon my outburst please.

In the third book, Harry Potter is saved from the soul eating dementors, he thinks it was his father that rescued him. Later he goes back in time, and is standing on the other side of the lake, watching himself being attacked. He's waiting for his dad to come save him, but then realizes it was him now, the him from the future that saved him, not dad. So he saves himself. There's a lesson there somewhere, I think.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Well I'm glad I stopped by down here!
I had a cookout with the family, and even my older girls came by from out of town.(small miracle).
Thanks crikkett!
Hey, I forgot to mention I made strawberry shortcake, from scratch. Berries picked in the am, made poundcake, and whipped the cream right before serving!
I wish could have shared it with all you nice folks!
Burnt Hill

Postby ninakat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm a "daddy" so they say (in gay parlance). It wasn't a choice, trust me. But my bf calls me that (part jokingly), and I do take care of my elderly mother, 5 chickens, 2 dogs, and 4 cats -- oh, and 1000s of plants. Yep, I guess I'm a daddy after all. :eeyaa
ninakat

Postby ninakat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 pm

ninakat

Return to The Lounge & Member News