The Baseball thread...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Baseball thread...

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 pm

So are there baseball fans here? Does such a thread exist elsewhere on RI? If not, let's talk all things baseball here.

Six Hits of Sunshine

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Baseball thread...

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Slow roller, down the line - behind the bag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7LwhLKlCY

The DH is an abomination. Started the same year they founded the Trilateral Commission.

(Is that RI enough?)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 pm

My eyes usually glaze over at sports talk, but when I was a kid I did love playing baseball. In Junior League I had one of those "character building" experiences they say sports can offer. At bat, I was shying away from the ball---the pitchers were always the oldest kids, they threw hard and I'd flinch. The coach told me, "You gotta step out and meet that ball!" So I started doing that, taking a little step, leaning into it, and I started smacking hits pretty good. I'm still a hesitant scaredy-cat but in the long run that bit of coaching stuck with me.

I don't follow teams or players, but I'd play baseball any lazy sunny day. Watch out, left field!!
Last edited by Elvis on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Jack,

That's some RI shit for sure.

Elvis,

Great story -- i have almost the identical experience. Except, I would strike out on purpose. I was so afraid one of the older kids would get wild and ding me in my head and leave me braindead. Must have sucked for my family who actually came to my games (no drama here) and rooted me on.

These days I love watching the game. I'd even play in a beerleague if offered...Anyone?
Six Hits of Sunshine

Postby NaturalMystik » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:20 pm

My part-time job has me working every home game for our local MLB team, part of my job is to actually watch the game so I'm seeing a ton of baseball these days. Frankly I'm not much of a fan, but you can't spend that much time watching something without getting into it at least a little. Classic case of cognitive dissonance... I just really hate all the pitching shenanigans some of the teams play (cough*Rays*cough), enough with the mound meetings and stall tactics and play the damn game. Old time baseball! :)
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Project Willow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:19 am

Trivia question. First one to answer gets a free round in the Saloon, and a beer on me when we meet IRL.

*No Googling or searching of any kind.*

Which pennant winning team contained these players?

Denny McLain
Bill Freehan
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:29 am

I don't know who Bill Freehan is but... the Detroit Tigers?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Schmazo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:55 am

A Big League Omen:

http://www.synchrosecrets.com/synchrosecrets/?p=31

Synchronicities, if you take them seriously, can hint that we’re on the right path. But they can also serve as a warning sign, and that’s what an omen is. But it’s not a synchronicity until the omen comes to fruition.

In the following case, you might need to drop your sense of disbelief as you read this post. Jim Banholzer realizes that it’s a stretch to use a mathematical formula to find meaning in an omen, and that’s why there’s a question mark in the title above. But it’s worth considering. Jim has posted several synchronicities on this blog, including one thatg beautifully defines what synchronicity is: Children of the Universe.

The incendiary event is a truly unusual one involving the destruction of a symbol of peace. It was seen through YouTube and other media by millions. It took place 12 weeks into 2001. And then, 12 weeks before the end of the year, we went to war.

This morning I woke up thinking about baseball, and suddenly had the urge to read about 6’ 10” power pitcher Randy Johnson. I scrambled onto Wikipedia and saw he is the all-time leading strikeout king for lefties. Then I found this interesting tidbit:

(From Wikipedia)
In a freak accident on March 24, 2001, during the 7th inning of a spring training game against the San Francisco Giants, Johnson threw a fastball that struck and killed a dove. The unlucky bird swooped across the infield just as Johnson was releasing the ball. After being struck by the pitch, the bird landed dead amid a “sea of feathers.” The official call was “no pitch.”[3]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbmwv-0cUTw[/youtube]

I remember when seeing this incident, I wondered if it was supposed to mean something larger. After all, back in those days Randy Johnson was the tallest and fastest pitcher in Major League baseball, in a sleek county, filled with a Giant’s appetite. Mr. Johnson slew this dove in the face of the San Francisco Giants -a city renowned for peacenik warriors.

In late March of 2001, the dove’s “freak accident”, was broadcast over the nation’s airwaves. Just this morning, I did some quick math and noticed that those days were exactly opposite to the time, when we first sent military troops to fight in Afghanistan, with a junkball pitch. In other words, the dove crossed the path of our fastest pitcher in the twelfth week of 2001, while political war hawks shattered our peace-doves, with twelve weeks remaining in the same year.

Footnotes:

When the St. Louis football team relocated to Phoenix in 1988, they became the Phoenix Cardinals. Since this made two birds, they eventually renamed their team The Arizona Cardinals, burying the Phoenix.

In 2001, in large part due to Randy Johnson’s pitching finesse, Arizona beat the New York Yankees in the seventh game, in a series that was delayed one week, due to 9-11.

Randy Johnson now pitches for the San Francisco Giants and currently is in spring training. He is no longer our tallest MLB pitcher. He also pitched a perfect game in his last high school appearance, which could be looked at as an omen to his opponents that he would also achieve this rare feat in the majors.
Schmazo

Postby Project Willow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:22 am

JackRiddler wrote:I don't know who Bill Freehan is but... the Detroit Tigers?

I owe you a beer JR.

1968 Detroit Tigers.

I remember. I was 5 and the town went nuts over it. I made my own pennant with crayons, construction paper, and a stick I found in the yard. I took it to bed with me one night. I used to have at least 8 of the players' baseball cards. I wish I still had them.

Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:54 am

Project Willow wrote:
JackRiddler wrote:I don't know who Bill Freehan is but... the Detroit Tigers?

I owe you a beer JR.

1968 Detroit Tigers.

Yay.

Can't say as I remember anything about said team from the age of 3, or even the glorious events in Queens the very next year - so vastly important to human history, so much more significant than the application of force to propel some minor projectile to the moon. But there are certain numbers any junior stathead (or former junior stathead from some years ago) will know, like 714, 56, 26, .406, 190, 40-120, 257, 1.53, 1.23 and, of course, in the same year as the last: 31-5. Say it again: 31-5!

JackRiddler

Re: The Baseball thread... LSD-Fueled Perfect Game

Postby harry ashburn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stori ... -no-hitter Click link to see video!

Lone Star Scene: Local filmmakers document man behind LSD no-hitter
By: Victor Diaz

Post-production continues on "No No: A Dockumentary" which feature late baseball pitcher and recovered drug addict Dock Ellis.

Forty-two years ago, Pittsburgh Pirates' Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter like no other, in which he later admitted to using LSD during the game. That's the starting point for Austin-based director Jeffrey Radice's debut feature film No No: A Dockumentary.

Over the past year, Radice’s crew has collected over 50 hours of interviews for the film from baseball insiders, members of Ellis’s family and those who witnessed Ellis’s struggle with addiction.

"As I peeled back the layers of the onion, what I found was, with a guy like Dock Ellis, that the truth is stranger than fiction, and the deeper that you dig the more fascinating the stories become," Radice said.

Radice notes while Ellis is known for his LSD no-hitter, the baseball star spent the second-half of his life recovering from drug addiction and helping other addicts, often visiting prisons and counseled youth. Some also credit Ellis as a part of a second wave of civil rights in sports. He was an outspoken advocate until his death from liver disease in 2008.

"It is a story of redemption,” Radice said. “It's a hero's journey, and you've got a flawed hero who kind of overcame his flaws."

The film’s producer, Mike Blizzard said, "Many of these people credit him with being alive today and turning their lives around. He definitely had a positive impact on many people's lives and that's his lasting legacy."

No No: A Dockumentary is scheduled to be completed and submitted to film festivals in 2013. The filmmakers currently have a crowd-funding campaign to pay for post-production.

Visit their Kickstarter page to see more preview footage from the film.

Email this Story to a Friend Print this story
A skeleton walks into a bar. Orders a beer, and a mop. -anon
harry ashburn

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:22 pm

So are the Phillies out of it this year?

JackRiddler

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:27 pm

JackRiddler wrote:So are the Phillies out of it this year?

Gee, I hope not! Chase Utley said in his press conference today that he doesn't think so, so there you have it!

But realistically, I think so. The best hope is the wildcard. I hate to say it but my default NL team this year after the Phillies is going to be LA. I'd say the Giants but I watched them run right over the Phils two years ago in the NLCS (I was at game 1 to see the Lincecum v. Halladay matchup and shit was that fun). Between their annoying closer Brian Wilson with that stupid cross to the sky shit and watching the SF fans suddenly care about baseball with those silly fucking panda hats was just too much for me.
Six Hits of Sunshine

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Actually let me amend that a bit, I'll definitely be rooting for the Mets every fifth day. I really have a soft spot in my heart for R.A. Dickey. Seems like an all around good dude, who's finally busting out at 37 with a knuckleball.
Six Hits of Sunshine

Postby Burnt Hill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:07 pm

^^^
Yay for R.A., though the damn Yankees beat him up pretty good last night.
Burnt Hill

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News