In 1992 I was awarded the Medal of Honor

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

In 1992 I was awarded the Medal of Honor

Postby jingofever » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 pm

For killing foreigners. Also got a couple of purple hearts and silver stars but those are shit.
jingofever

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: In 1992 I was awarded the Medal of Honor

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Project Willow » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:47 pm

I am truly sorry.

My family and I were told that I was the among the best and the brightest, and that I was nobly serving my country. I was lauded for my intelligence and rare gifts as they carved parts of my innate ability, personality, and consciousness away from my everyday use, ... with my help.

I am truly sorry.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:32 am

Well, I must thank you for your service, so jingo fever, thank you. What you did to earn this honor, and it is a tremendous honor, surely amounted to more than just "killing foreigners."

Most folks who enter our military do so for honorable reasons with honorable intentions, which may have been your rationale as well at the time you enlisted. You know better than most of us how very changed a person becomes after having engaged in warfare and it seems you're burdened by the actions, deadly as they were, that caused you to receive the great and rare honor.

As you know, your actions saved lives, I'm sure. While it is true that you took lives to save lives, it is not your fault that your government put you into such a position, and I, a pacifist, forgive you and send you my healing love. It is much more important though for you to forgive yourself.

I have a friend, an 88 year old Veteran for Peace, who revisited China earlier this year. As a 21 year old Marine Corps platoon leader during the second world war he ordered and partook in a massacre of an entire village, which left him wracked with guilt for 66 years. Now I've known him well for nearly 30 years, but he never shared a word with me, so ashamed he was for his actions.

He returned last year to the village to apologize and was forgiven by the relatives of victims and townspeople.

He arrived late to a meeting we had with our Senator Gillibrand's chief of staff a day or two after this story broke, so I had no time to talk to him beforehand about it. After our meeting I was engaged in conversation and he slipped away unnoticed, but fortunately I caught up to him as he was beginning to exit a parking lot in his car. While holding up a car trying to leave just behind him I asked him to open his window all the way, which he did. I reached in and gave him a big strong, long and heartfelt hug, which he welcomed, though he had no idea why I was hugging him. Tears fell from my eyes... all I could say was "China; I had no idea and I'm so very sorry" and then he told me how very wonderful their forgiveness was to be offered him, especially with all present knowing of his heinous acts so long ago. Love is a wonderful, healing thing.

But their forgiveness and the relief it offered did not miraculously wipe away his memories. And he's still working on forgiving himself, which the Chinese have made a bit easier.

Here's one more thing to read about him you may find some interest in reading. This too.

People unfamiliar with combat will tell you war is Hell, and surely it is, but really, as you know better than most after your experience, war is insane.

I am sure that those you saved feel forever indebted to you every day they live and whenever they enjoy the company of their children.

I am sorry for your being so burdened by your heroic actions.

You have my Blessings, jingo, I wish you Peace and send you my Love.
Iamwhomiam

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 am

JF, I mean no disrespect but ... are you serious?

When I saw your subject line I figured it was in response to this recent ruling:

Supreme Court: Lying about military medals is protected by Constitution
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/sup ... story.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby kafor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

:) yeah, JF, I acknowledge your god-given right, nay, may I say obligation to practice your right to free speech. May you be richly rewarded. Just imagine if the supremes would have upheld this....suddenly lying becomes illegal. talk about government interference.
Kafor
"Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris"
Frank Zappa
kafor

Postby jingofever » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 pm

elfismiles wrote:JF, I mean no disrespect but ... are you serious?

No, I wasn't even the runner-up. I didn't think anybody would take this seriously but I guess they weren't paying much attention to the other cases yesterday.
jingofever

Postby barracuda » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 pm

This was an easy one, because no medals of honor were awarded in '92 at all.
barracuda

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 pm

They should model their system for handing out medals on Call of Duty and/or Battlefield.
And there should be lots of easy Achievements to make the grunts feel like they're contributing.
Just signed up? Here's an Achievement! Killed your first insurgent? Achievement!
Medals should be reserved for the "bigger" things, like killing 10 insurgents in one day, killing 2 or more people with one round etc.
And you don't get access to the good stuff (like calling in airstrikes) until you have certain medals, or they could possibly use the Killstreak system from CoD. Kill 5 people without dying and you get a free airstrike or supply drop!
And of course - Online leaderboards and weekly "best kill" awards.

The kids should be signing up in droves :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 pm

barracuda wrote:This was an easy one, because no medals of honor were awarded in '92 at all.

Bullshit. I got three. Come over here and say that, traitor.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby barracuda » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:16 pm

In 1986 I got a merit badge in bullshit.
barracuda

Postby Nordic » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 am

I broke up Tom and Katie's marriage.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:45 am

Well fuck you, jingo.

Yes, I can now say that.

Some of us are quite busy people, ya know.

By the way, fuck you.

Oh, and get a fucking haircut, will ya.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 am

Nordic wrote:I broke up Tom and Katie's marriage.

Well you probably deserve a medal for that.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby dada » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:01 am

So Iamwhoiam, you can forgive him for killing people, but for fooling you he gets a fuck you?

And don't listen to him, I like your hair jingo, don't ever cut it!
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News