Chia seeds - are they a miracle superfood or just a craze?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Chia seeds - are they a miracle superfood or just a craze?

Postby Col. Quisp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:43 pm

I just bought some and started using them yesterday. Wondering if anyone else has tried these and if it's just a bunch of hype or are they really super duper superfoods? Any side effects? They are from a type of salvia plant...heard some people have weird dreams when taking these seeds...
Col. Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Chia seeds - are they a miracle superfood or just a craz

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 pm

I've been interested in them lately too. Supposedly they're good for high blood pressure. Not that I have high blood pressure on a regular basis, but I've been told at times I border on high. I am a smoker and am prone to anxiety, so there you go. But I haven't taken the plunge, no and would be interested to hear what anybody has to say as well. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby wordspeak2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Oh, jeez. These types of things have their place- hemp seeds and flax seeds, too- but they're not a replacement for eating good quality cheese and meat. I think the omega-3 thing has some truth to it... we need a fair amount of chia/flax/hemp/fish oil, but it doesn't need to run our diet. I find people like my dad who take spoonfuls of flax oil to be pretty weird. The secret to whether something is good for you is: Does it taste good? Once you've cut out processed junk food that destroys our taste buds, it becomes pretty natural; what's good is good. I think nuts and seeds are for moderation only. If you never eat them and then you start, they'll hit the spot for a while, but ultimately they should be just a moderate/occasional thing, IME. I'm on a pistachios kick ATM- a handful of pistachios with breakfast. Though it's funny you mention chia, because today I was thinking of ordering from a raw food company that has super-high-quality but expensive raw products, and was considering trying one of their new products, chia seed butter with dates, dried blueberries and cranberries. http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/stor ... 0&catid=44
Haven't done it yet, though; hard to rationalize financially over fresh fruits and vegetables and raw cheese and seafood.
wordspeak2

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:03 am

They are delicious but they got a lot more expensive this year thanks to yoga moms so I've grazed on
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:53 pm

My girlfriend eats a lot of chia seeds but isn't sure if she's noticed any benefits. She always had weird dreams though. Last night, Justin Timberlake wanted to get back together with her.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Nordic » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:40 pm

I just noticed these at trader joe's and yeah, they seem preposterously expensive, so i'll pass for the time being. Also looks like something you should avoid if you have diverticulosis. I don't but know several people who do.

I'm still discovering the lovelinesz of quinoa. My stepdaughter has now fallen in love with the stuff and i have to admit its pretty great.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby harry ashburn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:00 pm

love em! I plant em and raise a whole herd of Chia Pets! huge profit margin! ... a little stringy, however, when fried.
A skeleton walks into a bar. Orders a beer, and a mop. -anon
harry ashburn

Return to The Lounge & Member News