Things I've learned from Instagram

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Things I've learned from Instagram

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:36 am

I keep learning things on Instagram. I'd like to make a list.

I will only think of a few right now. Others will follow.

Should I number them? Nah, too hard to keep track.

Please, feel free to add things you have learned from Instagram.

First and foremost, and by far the most noticeable, is the tendency for young women to photograph themselves and put the photos on Instagram. It's mind-boggling. It's beautiful. It's annoying. It's weird. If you do a hashtag search for "Norwegian" for instance, the results will be (I'm guessing) 95% photos of young Norwegian women, taken by themselves. Even if you do a search for "Norway", probably half the photos are of young Norwegian women. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Norwegian women are almost as pretty as Swedish women, sometimes far prettier. Girls will fill their entire Instagram galleries up with nothing but shots of themselves, many of which you can barely tell apart.

Sweden is loaded with beautiful young women. I know this isn't news. But a shocking number of them hail from Gothenburg. Someone should see what's in the water there.

Norway is one of the most beautiful countries on earth. I visited there when young, and I had the same impression. It seems to have been the right one. I think I would like to move there.

Iceland is a country I must visit. It is spectacular. I'm not sure I'd want to live there but I HAVE to visit it.

I no longer want to visit Istanbul. I used to. Now, after seeing countless photos of it, I don't.

Parts of Korea are as beautiful as anywhere on earth. Whoda thunk?

Guys can't seem to help but take pictures of their dicks. Why? These are deleted very quickly from Instagram, but there always seem to be a few popping up (so to speak).

There's a city named Kotor, Montenegro which looks really amazing. I now want to go there, and prior to Instagram I had never heard of it.

There are a great many people who take very nice photos who live in San Francisco. I'm not sure if this is because San Francisco is so photogenic (it is) or if there are a higher percentage of people living there who have a good eye and a talent for taking photos. Either way, these people are very very "white". As in modern yuppie white. They have very nice kitchens and eat out a lot. There's a certain white-people smugness to them that raises my hackles.

There are places in Indonesia which are as beautiful as any place I've ever seen. Particularly certain beaches which are mind-blowingly gorgeous. Impossible can't-be-real type of paraside-like places. I don't know where they are. Nobody ever geo-tags these. I want to find out.

There seems to be a noticeable level of anti-American sentiment in Indonesia. This means I may never actually go there. This also means the Indonesian people are highly intelligent. Which is another reason to go there.

I wish I knew how to read Russian. Some of my favorite people on Instagram are Russian, or at least have Russian as their first language and write everything in Russian. You can't cut and paste the text from it, so I can't even translate it.

More to follow ....
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Things I've learned from Instagram

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Another reason i wish i could read Russian is because one of the best photographers I've ever encountered, Gueorgui Pinkhassov, posts there. His photographs are unstaged, basically street photography, but with many of them you have to stare at them for a few moments before the realization of what you're looking at sinks in. As a fellow photographer i have to describe him as a genius. He writes a small bit with almost each photo but i can't even begin to read it. I was turned on to him by another Russian that i follow, who excitedly announced one day that Pinkhassov was on Instagram.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:59 am

I've noticed, in pictures from Europe, an enormous amount of contrails in the sky. Way more than we have in the States. The sky is dense with them there.

FWIW.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:41 am

Madagascar. Shockingly beautiful. The Baobab tree. Magnificent and shaped like something from a fantasy novel.

Just discovered a fellow named Alofo Lokobe. For those of you following at home, his instagram moniker is Lokobe. He is an ecologist studying the baobab trees in Madagascar, and his photos of the place, the trees, and the people are as beautiful as anything I've ever seen, in a National Geographic sort of way. Wow.

The people appear far happier than anyone I've seen in my part of the planet any time lately. Maybe because they live in such a beautiful place.
Nordic

Return to The Lounge & Member News