Mormons are wack

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Mormons are wack

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mormons are wack

Postby justdrew » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:42 am

the ambassadors from Kolob will see you now...

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:57 am

Mormons are super-nice as people, though, isn't it weird? I've only known one -- singular -- Mormon who was in any way shape or form actually wack.

Then again, I've never lived in Utah, either.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:52 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Mormons are super-nice as people, though, isn't it weird? I've only known one -- singular -- Mormon who was in any way shape or form actually wack.

Then again, I've never lived in Utah, either.

Yah, I suppose a better thread title would have been, Mormonism is wack. I don't think I've ever actually known a mormon. I suppose the stuff they believe is not a whole lot wackier than many other religions and not nearly as wacky as scientology. Nonetheless their founder was quite literally a con man, not unlike Hubbard really.

For awhile I used to tell the story that Smith claimed to converse with a giant white salamander. So much fun that image. I was disappointed to discover that the salamander letter was likely a hoax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamander_letter

Shouldn't the hard right evangelical fundies have issues with Romney? Mainstream mormonism evolved to become more acceptable to mainstream christianity, but there are still major differences that ought to matter to fundamentalists. I believe the hilarious cartoon in the op with a 70's saturday morning cartoon level of production value was produced by christian fundamentalists.

Indeed, it was:
http://www.jeremiahfilms.com/store/
Last edited by brainpanhandler on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 pm

brainpanhandler

Postby barracuda » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I don't personally find Mormonism any weirder than Christianity or really most other religions. I do kinda love the whole thing with the hat, though.

barracuda

Postby compared2what? » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:45 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:
Yah, I suppose a better thread title would have been, Mormonism is wack. I don't think I've ever actually known a mormon. I suppose the stuff they believe is not a whole lot wackier than many other religions and not nearly as wacky as scientology.

I guess I'd say that they were roughly comparable, all things told. But except incidentally, that's really a function of practice, not creed. All belief systems are wack, because belief is. So even if it were possible to determine how wack one religion was relative to another by comparing their bizarreness-to-belief ratios -- which I don't think it is, since how bizarre any belief is or isn't is, by definition, a question of belief -- I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. It's always sufficiently a matter of degree that you'd mostly be looking at other factors in the end anyway. (In order to make a better-or-worse-than judgment call, I mean.)

It would be so wrong to say that was what The Master was about that I practically just want to leave it at that. But that's probably mostly just because there's always something about his movies that makes it almost impossible for me to remember that movies don't have feelings, for some reason.

Hm. Well. Even having rid myself of the belief that in some dank, interrogation room somewhere, cruel men with floodlights are shouting: "What is your position on Scientology?" while The Master cowers on the floor, whimpering, "Oh my God, please stop asking me that, please!," I'm having a hard enough time articulating the thought in a form I can live with that it probably doesn't reflect well on the integrity of the thought.

But fwiw, I thought that it was more about what belief systems are and how they function than it was about what Scientology is and how it functions.

Incidentally, the main reasons I'm not pleased with that formulation are (a) I wouldn't say it was meaningless that the Cause is modeled on Scientology; and (b) all of Paul Thomas Anderson's movies are about what belief systems are and how they function to a pretty fucking considerable extent, but exploring questions related to that isn't really the chief concern of any of them.

Except maybe Magnolia.

I give up.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Never give up.

I rather enjoyed the cartoon.

I can live with their beliefs.

Some of them seem perfectly reasonable to me.

A surprising number, actually.

Hammer of Los

Postby compared2what? » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:40 am

Hammer of Los wrote:...

I can live with their beliefs.

Some of them seem perfectly reasonable to me.

A surprising number, actually.

A surprising number of which? Beliefs? Or Mormons?

I've been pondering it for a surprising number of moments. And I can't decide.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:35 am

Beliefs.

We all have the ability to ascend.

We just have to grow up.

I don't know any Mormons. I know of Steve Jones. Let's not go there.

Oh, and the stuff about falling angels I can dig too.

All is metaphor.

There is no fiction.

All is Thought in the Mind of Man.

Who be Tess? Who Angel of Light?
Whose Helm is Fair? Whose Visage Bright?

Hammer of Los

Postby compared2what? » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 pm

This being the lounge, I think it's understandable that my first response to that was:

He's a Mormon??

Eventually I figured it out, though.
compared2what?

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:12 pm

If anyone wants to send me a tenth of their income, feel free.

I guess it would be tax deductible.

I dunno.

I'm super ignorant when it comes to money matters.

Fie on the system of Mammon!

Er, yeah.

PM me and I'll give you my Paypal account details.

Not that I'm axin' or anythin'.

Just if someone wants to insist.

Well, yer live in hope.

Will write poetry for money.

Will write poetry even for no money.

I wish this bird would stop pecking my side.

Hammer of Los

Postby Sepka » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm

I've had a handful of Mormon co-workers over the years (that I knew of) , and they seemed, without exception, genuinely nice, happy people.
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 pm

barracuda wrote:I don't personally find Mormonism any weirder than Christianity or really most other religions. I do kinda love the whole thing with the hat, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seer_stone ... Day_Saints)

It is fascinating. And I like the fancy underwears as well. It's that sort of thing that makes believing Hubbard started scientology as a bet that went something like, "I'll bet I can build a religion with at least a million adherents based on the most proposterous bullshit you can imagine.", so easy to believe.

But you're right. It really isn't that much weirder than most other religions. Especially the further back you go.
brainpanhandler

Postby Hammer of Los » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Elements of folk magic in Mormonism I see.

I know all about that.

I am a hedge wizard.

When I want revelation I just look around me.

Sometimes I turn the radio on, and gaze into the rock pool of Galadriel.

Or should that be Elrond?

I said ElronD!

Last edited by Hammer of Los on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hammer of Los

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News