What is it about Texas?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

What is it about Texas?

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 am

I hail from Colorado and now live in the Pacific Northwest. But what's with all the Texas hate?

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... k-perry-we

But there is nowhere, no state across the country that is more hated than Texas. I grew up hating Texas "because they all come here and don't know how to drive in the snow" (which is true). I don't "hate" it nor anyone, but it remains the one state that I have no desire to visit. Perhaps it is the fact the "Dallas Cowboys" are called "America's Team". Perhaps it is perceived bombastic attitudes that come from Texans. But I've gone through all the states to hate and I can name only one. Texas.

Does anyone hate neighboring New Mexico? Does anyone hate Iowa? Minnesota? Colorado? Louisiana? Illinois? Etc.

I just can't think of any state that is hated with such fervor than Texas. Possibly Massachusetts. But Texas. Everybody hates that place. Why?

Funny story. One time I was in Chicago and some random guy was out in the street flying and waving around a huge Texas flag -- just out there inexplicably flying a flag with some strange sense of pride. I knew exactly what the flag was. It was the Texas state flag. Just for shits and grins I went up to him and asked what the flag was.

Dude says, "TEXAS!"

I looked him in the eye and said "Oh, I see. The second biggest state." It was totally off the cuff and it just came to me spontaneously.

Fuck, did that dude get pissed while everyone around me just laughed their asses off. There is no other "state" that wants be the biggest dick than Texas. Texas prides itself on being "big". And it's some sort of psychosis.

Why is this? Why does a state have it built within it some weird pride that's set apart from everything else? Why won't fucking Texas grow the fuck up? You can talk all the shit you want about Mississippi and Alabama, yet they remain endearing. Everybody that lives in a city (at least) loves NYC, Chicago, pans on LA but isn't annoyed by it. But the idea of Texas makes everyone else bristle and then when they know what they're talking about say "Austin's great though". I don't doubt this.

However, it does seem to me that all of the worst stereotypes of America come out of Texas -- only out of Texas.

Why?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What is it about Texas?

Postby ShinShinKid » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I wouldn't say all, you're biased being from the Pacific Northwest, n all. I have met some of the most radically progressive people, and they were from Texas. Don't let good (or bad, as the case may be) public relations do you in...
There's now more live, quality, independent music in Austin than anywhere else in the country. Yes, even kick-butt Seattle/ Tacoma region..where and whence you hail...

That's just due some respect, I'm sure we'll be hearing from a certain set of orange and white flagged women's reproductive organs soon...wow, that was a mouthful.

Anyways, never give up hope! I come from Arizona, if want a state to hate, we have all you want, and more!...and we're not much smaller than Texas, anyways!
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby harry ashburn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:39 pm

AS a 60-something native Texan... my perspective is this. Texas was traditionally populated by misfits. People who couldn't get along with society moved to Texas. Criminals and reprobates, debtors and wife-deserters was a significant part of the Caucasian population. Assholes. Those who got rich consolidated their power, and maintain it today. Texas has long been known as a mecca for capitalists and entrepreneurs. The poor have been inured into this meme, and protest little. School boards are dominated by fundamental Christians. There are still "dry" counties in Texas. (no alcohol sales). However, there are private clubs where you can BYOB. Texas is rapidly becoming Hispanic majority, but they will have to struggle to vote and gain influence. They may eventually drag Texas, fighting and screaming, into the 19th century!
A skeleton walks into a bar. Orders a beer, and a mop. -anon
harry ashburn

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks SSK.

I'm not sure I have any real insights into 8228's (hut hut!) questions ... I think Harry's answer has part of it ... my Dad constantly reminds me that Houston was founded by scammer criminals. Born in San Antonio but raised here in Austin since kindergarten I've seen this town undergo a mighty change or three. And I don't like it ... not one bit. I've been complaining about this town since at least highschool when my cousin was abducted kicking and screamin Christmas eve from Austin's 6th-street night-club scene, right in front of one of Austin's (now long-gone) classic clubs. Noone helped her. Thank heavens she's a survivor.

The gentrification of Austin and it's many ongoing growth pains are perhaps relevant to the State's status as "n-word" (sorry LCK) to AmeriKa (whereas AmeriKa is the "n-word" to the world). Or not ... I'm sure the invocation of Lennon's song of that name is offensive to someone so, my apologies.

While I can feel uncomfortably at-home amongst the bigoted and racist masses that make up so much of the detestable element of my/our state, Austin is an ever increasingly polluted oasis within a sea of alienness.

Anyway ... MEH!

Houston
This Is Texas
Why the capital should rightfully be Houston, not Austin.
by John Nova Lomax
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/texas

Austin
All Grown Up
Austin is booming with jobs, condos, festivals, traffic, hipsters, joggers, and high-concept dive bars (anyone for Lone Star and seared foie gras?). Does that mean it’s no longer Austin?
by John Spong
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/all-grown-0

Austin
An Ode to Mount Bonnell
Taking Austin in from the city's most iconic summit.
by Michael Hall
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/ode-mount-bonnell

Austin
What’s With Austin’s Traffic?
Two questions for Ginger Goodin, of the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.
by Sonia Smith
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/what% ... 9s-traffic

http://www.texasmonthly.com/issue/february-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS78MX8Zmdk

ShinShinKid » 19 Jul 2013 19:41 wrote:I wouldn't say all, you're biased being from the Pacific Northwest, n all. I have met some of the most radically progressive people, and they were from Texas. Don't let good (or bad, as the case may be) public relations do you in...
There's now more live, quality, independent music in Austin than anywhere else in the country. Yes, even kick-butt Seattle/ Tacoma region..where and whence you hail...

That's just due some respect, I'm sure we'll be hearing from a certain set of orange and white flagged women's reproductive organs soon...wow, that was a mouthful.

Anyways, never give up hope! I come from Arizona, if want a state to hate, we have all you want, and more!...and we're not much smaller than Texas, anyways!
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:16 am

FWIW ... I hate these kinds of Surveillance State / Candid-Camera setups, and this could just be manipulative propaganda.

There are definitely places in this huge state where they would not have gotten such good reactions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JibZ2U3o-M
elfismiles

Postby conniption » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Heads up, Austin!

KXAN

Homeland security exercise taking place in Austin

Increased activity over next couple weeks

Updated: Thursday, 08 Aug 2013
Published : Wednesday, 07 Aug 2013

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Multiple law enforcement agencies will be taking part in homeland security exercises in Austin over the next few weeks.

The Texas Department of Public Safety said several local and federal agencies will test response plans to possible terroristic threats and other critical incidents.

Authorities say you shouldn't be alarmed if you see a big increase in law enforcement officials on Austin's streets.

The exercise is meant to ensure various law enforcement agencies are prepared to protect citizens from any type of security threat or incident.

“Local, state and federal law enforcement entities work every day to combat crime and terrorism within Texas and beyond," said DPS Director Steven McCraw. "This proactive security exercise will further enhance our ability to protect our communities.”

Agencies taking part in the exercise include the Austin Police Department, Travis County Sheriff's Office, the University of Texas Police Department and the FBI.
conniption

Postby elfismiles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:20 am

Re: Can Anyone Explain This Terror Threat To Me?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36928&p=516886

conniption » 11 Aug 2013 18:38 wrote:Heads up, Austin!

KXAN

Homeland security exercise taking place in Austin

Increased activity over next couple weeks
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Ugh ... sadly, this is the kind of hate folks expect of Texas...

'No Muslim' parking signs come down outside mall
Published On: Aug 09 2013 01:05:05 PM EDT
Updated On: Aug 09 2013 01:10:21 PM EDT

HOUSTON - New parking signs posted outside a Houston-area mosque sparked outrage on Thursday.

The posters lined the street near the El Farouq Mosque.

In black letters, the signs read, "No Muslim parking in the Westview Shopping Center. Your car will be towed."

Many Muslims heading to worship services were offended.

"I feel sorry for the person who wrote it," said Ahmed Hassan. "This is what comes to mind because obviously he has a lot of hate."

"I'm very shocked because we do live in a society that's supposed to be very accepting and this is what we all preach," said Yara Aboshady. "That we all have the freedom of religion."

The mosque sits across the street from the shopping center. Store employees did not want to go on camera, but admit they get angry when mosque members park in their lot, taking up spots meant for customers.

With the Muslim month-long fast for the holy month of Ramadan ending, and a crowd expected at the mosque, the signs anonymously appeared. No shopping center employees would take credit. One worker said the shopping center owner, Steve Kwon, posted the signs.

"I did not put up the signs," said Kwon.

Aboshady wondered about the sign writer's true motive.

"It could be no parking for the sake of patrons that come in," Aboshady said. "Or it really could be a prejudice and just a mean thing to say."

She and others still find the signs insensitive and offensive.

"It's really offensive and it's hateful," said Hassan.

The owner says they will be calling a tow company to try to get all of the cars that shouldn't be parked here out. And he says he'll be checking the property to make there are no more of the offending parking signs.

http://m.local10.com/news/no-muslim-par ... index.html
elfismiles

Postby jingofever » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:43 am

In Bernie some guy breaks Texas into six regions. The Panhandle, which he doesn't seem to be familiar with. West Texas, which is cowboy and ranch country. South Texas, which is Tex-Mex. Austin, or the "People's Republic of Austin." Dallas, which is filled with rich oil assholes. And East Texas, where the South begins. It is a diverse place and like most Americans they are assholes, but they're bigger assholes. I don't think Alex Jones could be from anywhere except Texas.

And I agree with ShinShinKid, Arizona sucks. When it comes down to watering the Imperial Valley or watering Arizona, we are going to let Arizona go back to being uninhabitable.
jingofever

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks for the reminder about the BERNIE movie. Been wanting to watch that.

jingofever » 13 Aug 2013 06:43 wrote:In Bernie some guy breaks Texas into six regions. The Panhandle, which he doesn't seem to be familiar with. West Texas, which is cowboy and ranch country. South Texas, which is Tex-Mex. Austin, or the "People's Republic of Austin." Dallas, which is filled with rich oil assholes. And East Texas, where the South begins. It is a diverse place and like most Americans they are assholes, but they're bigger assholes. I don't think Alex Jones could be from anywhere except Texas.

And I agree with ShinShinKid, Arizona sucks. When it comes down to watering the Imperial Valley or watering Arizona, we are going to let Arizona go back to being uninhabitable.
elfismiles

Return to The Lounge & Member News