Nirvana In Utero: The Albini Mix

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Nirvana In Utero: The Albini Mix

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Inspired by my reading of the In Utero 33 1/3 book, I just listened to one of the tracks from the original, so called "Albini Mix" and I feel like I've been listening to the wrong album for the last 20 years.

Does anyone have a copy of this or know where I can get one? There's a rumor that it may be included in the upcoming 20th anniversary release. Even so, I'm not sure I trust that it won't be fucked with and tweaked in some way. Any leads or ideas greatly appreciated.

:angelwings:

Six Hits of Sunshine

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Nirvana In Utero: The Albini Mix

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Thank you everyone who responded with leads. I appreciate the friendly efforts of this fine community.
Six Hits of Sunshine

Postby 0_0 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Dude (ss), let's not get upset and just use this topic to post things that intrest us. Now i've listened to the track and i like that version very much, don't knoe where you could find the rest though. Here's a clip i found intresting, hope you will enjoy it as well. It's totally unrelated btw:

Notice especially the hat.
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby Laodicean » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 am

...if it sounds bad, these people are just going to have to wait.

Link to Albini Mix(can hear the needle on the vinyl)
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby 0_0 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 pm

The Albinimix has surfaced, that's good. I just discoverd the Louie Cruz mix myself today:

He has covers of all other nirvana songs as well. Notice Spongebob stuffed animal in the background.
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:43 am

I did this one already I think.

I'm jus' goin' round in circles here.

Same old, same old;

What the Gild and what the Lily?
Who programs brain like Mr Lilly?

That was inspired by my good friend LilyPatToo, actually.

Here's a riddle.

It be formless, sizeless, soundless, tasteless and without texture.

Yet it hath an aroma.

What be it?

Here's a clue, straight from Alice Cooper;

Eighteen!

'Till I die!

Ha ha ha!

Hammer of Los

Postby Six Hits of Sunshine » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Listen to this interview with Mr. Albini regarding the recording of In Utero. One of the more interesting things he says is that there is no such thing as a so-called "Albini mix" and he believes the mix of the record released by the band was the true and real version. He reasons it was the band's, not his or anyone else's, creative decision to do what they wanted, how they wanted. As always, he's a very interesting dude.

EP. #24: STEVE ALBINI

Steve Albini is a man who lives in Chicago, Illinois and owns and operates the really remarkable Electrical Audio Recording facility. He is the guitar player and primary singer in the band Shellac and he makes a mean cup of fluffy coffee. The 1993 album In Utero by the Washington-State-based band Nirvana is among the thousands of records that Albini has engineered over the course of his time doing that sort of thing and earlier this summer he gave the songs from those sessions fresh mixes for the 20th anniversary edition of In Utero, which is due out in North America on September 24. In our past midnight conversation, Steve discussed his interesting history with Kurt Cobain, his abandoned work with Fugazi, the stories behind making In Utero, why the new edition of the record was mastered to sound the best it possibly can, the highs and lows of the relatively recent rash of remastered reissues that record buyers face each and every day, the mostly good but surprisingly sad and surreal professional aftermath of making In Utero, how it might have changed his life, how the new Shellac LP’s test pressings are on route to the band and artwork is close to finalized (also the new Bottomless Pit record is done!), and why he doesn’t care about Breaking Bad but can tolerate The Newsroom.

Related links: nirvana.com electricalaudio.com vishkhanna.com
Six Hits of Sunshine

Postby Laodicean » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:07 am

The performance is from the band's upcoming Live and Loud DVD, which will be included with the Super Deluxe Edition of the upcoming 20th-anniversay reissue of In Utero. The DVD also will be available on its own.

Both will be released September 24 via Universal Music.

To say that Nirvana's third and ultimately final studio album, In Utero was 1993's most polarizing record would be an understatement. The unadorned sonic rawness of Steve Albini's recording laid bare every primal nuance of the most confrontational yet vulnerable material Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl would ever record.

http://www.guitarworld.com/video-nirvan ... d-loud-dvd
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Return to The Lounge & Member News