John Hodgman: Aliens, Love -- Where Are They?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

John Hodgman: Aliens, Love -- Where Are They?

Postby elfismiles » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm

search.php?keywords=hodgman

TEDTalks: Sex, Secrets & Love: "John Hodgman: Aliens, Love -- Where Are They?"http://www.ted.com/talks/john_hodgman_s_brief_digression.html

John Hodgman: A brief digression on matters of lost time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W51H1croBw

Uploaded on Oct 21, 2008

http://www.ted.com Humorist John Hodgman rambles through a new story about aliens, physics, time, space and the way all of these somehow contribute to a sweet, perfect memory of falling in love.

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re:Kunstwerk im Zeitalter seinertechnischen Reproduzierbarke

Postby IanEye » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 pm

IanEye » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 pm wrote:

The Author is thought to nourish the book, which is to say that he exists before it, thinks, suffers, lives for it, is in the same relation of antecedence to his work as a father to his child. In complete contrast, the modern Scriptor is born simultaneously with the text, is in no way equipped with a being preceding or exceeding the writing, is not the subject with the book as predicate; there is no other time than that of the enunciation and every text is eternally written here and now.

@18:35 "you're saying nostalgia was better in the old days, is that what you're saying?"

MacCruiskeen versus Political Correctness

From a photographic negative, for example, one can make any number of prints; to ask for the "authentic" print makes no sense.

But the instant the criterion of authenticity ceases to be applicable to artistic production, the total function of art is reversed.
Instead of being based on ritual, it begins to be based on another practice--politics.

Having buried the Author, the modern Scriptor can thus no longer believe, as according to the pathetic view of his predecessors, that this hand is too slow for his thought or passion and that consequently, making a law of necessity, he must emphasize this delay and indefinitely 'polish' his form.

“I don’t want to talk about the 60s. I’m not into nostalgia.
When I studied at Brandeis under Abe Maslow he taught me that nostalgia is just another form of depression.
I’m here to talk about organizing in the present, about how we can fight the system and win.”

@22:22 H.G. Wells tells Abbie Hoffman he doesn't consider himself part of society because he exists outside of space & time.
Later, Abbie notes some of the suffering he endured during his time of subterranean survival.

For the Scriptor, on the contrary, the hand, cut off from any voice, borne by a pure gesture of inscription (and not of expression), traces a field without origin-or which, at least, has no other origin than language itself, language which ceaselessly calls into question all origins.

@ 30:30 Del laRue takes the time to wax nostalgic about the propaganda that existed in America circa Pearl Harbor.
His fond reminiscence leads the former lovers, Sascha Cohen & Tig Notaro to carry on with more meta observations on nostalgia, while laRue continues to rhapsodize.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

MacCruiskeen's ponderings on nostalgia

Postby IanEye » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:06 pm

a lot of the above has nothing to do with John Hodgman, but the whole post was inspired by Hodgman's appearance on the WTF podcast,. which i linked to under the code word: nostalgia

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: MacCruiskeen's ponderings on nostalgia

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:53 am

thanks for the "explanation" ... I'm still scratchin my 'ead.

IanEye » 29 Aug 2013 02:06 wrote:a lot of the above has nothing to do with John Hodgman, but the whole post was inspired by Hodgman's appearance on the WTF podcast,. which i linked to under the code word: nostalgia
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to The Lounge & Member News